Set of linear equation question

In summary: You need to find a way to express each component (x,y,z) in terms of a and b, such that alpha and beta cancel out. Your equations also need to satisfy the given matrix equation. I suggest trying to solve it using the method of Gauss-Jordan elimination.
transgalactic
give an example for a set of linear equation (from field R) that has the following
general solution:

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5226/26420883un6.gif

??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to write out equations for x,y,z such that alpha, beta cancels out. Eg. Suppose x = a + 1 and y = a, where a is the free variable, then a possible eg of an equation would be x - y = 1.

i wrote a matrix
and inputed alpha=1 and beta=2
and this is my answer
is that ok?

What matrix did you write? And I don't think you can arbitrarily set values of alpha, beta. Remember that these are free variables, so if you set some particular values for them you are in effect saying they are not parameters which may be varied.

i need to give an example so the set that i was given
would be its general solution(i guess i need to present one case)
i have constructed this general matrix:

1 a b
2 a b
3 a 0

and inputed some a=1 b=2

but i am not sure if this the correct way of solving it??

transgalactic said:
give an example for a set of linear equation (from field R) that has the following
general solution:

??
transgalactic,
I find that it is frequently difficult for me to understand what you are trying to do, which makes it hard to help you.

From what you posted on imageshack, it appears to me that you are supposed to find a 3 x 3 matrix A so that <what you posted> is the general solution of Ax = b.

The vectors with alpha and beta multipliers, (1, 1, 1)^T and (1, 1, 0)^T appear to me to be all of the solutions of Ax = 0. That is, these vectors form a basis for the nullspace of A.

The other vector, (1, 2, 3)^T seems to be the particular solution of Ax = b, for some unknown vector b.

Possibly there is enough information here so that you can find the coefficients of matrix A.

how to interpret this thing :

into equation?

i got a way of solving this question:
(x,y,z)=(1+a+b) + (2+a+b) +(3+a)

i say that z=0 because (3+a) is not dependent on b.
i say that a+b=t

x=1+t y=2+t
x-y=-1
y-x=1

is that a prove??

transgalactic said:
i got a way of solving this question:
(x,y,z)=(1+a+b) + (2+a+b) +(3+a)

i say that z=0 because (3+a) is not dependent on b.
i say that a+b=t

x=1+t y=2+t
x-y=-1
y-x=1

is that a prove??
No, that doesn't satisfy the required general solution. z is not zero here, since in the general solution z=3+a where a is arbitrary.

Related to Set of linear equation question

1. What does "set of linear equation" mean?

A set of linear equations refers to a group of two or more equations that involve one or more variables and can be solved simultaneously to find the values of those variables.

2. What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear equation?

A linear equation is an equation in which the highest power of the variable is 1, and the graph of the equation is a straight line. A non-linear equation, on the other hand, can have a variable raised to a power greater than 1, which results in a curved graph.

3. How do I solve a set of linear equations?

To solve a set of linear equations, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. The goal is to manipulate the equations to eliminate one variable and then solve for the remaining variable.

4. Can a set of linear equations have no solution?

Yes, it is possible for a set of linear equations to have no solution. This can happen when the equations are parallel, meaning they have the same slope but different y-intercepts. In this case, there is no point of intersection, and the equations have no solution.

5. Why are linear equations important in science?

Linear equations are essential in science because they can be used to model and analyze various real-world phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay. They also help in making predictions and solving problems in fields like physics, chemistry, and biology.