Contravariant metric components

In summary, the problem at hand is to expand the contravariant metric tensor components g^{\mu\nu} in terms of the covariant metric tensor g_{\mu\nu} and the first order calculation is simple but the second order one is tedious and prone to errors. The method being used involves using matrix form and assigning constants to calculate the contravariant h in terms of the covariant h order by order. However, the number of terms at each order grows very fast.
michael879
I realize this is a "simple" mathematical exercise, in theory, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding some algorithmic way to do it. The problem is this: I want to expand the contravariant metric tensor components [tex]g^{\mu\nu}[/tex] in terms of the covariant metric tensor [tex]g_{\mu\nu}[/tex]. The first order calculation is very simple, but the second order one seems incredibly tedious and error prone. Could someone either show me this expansion to at least 2nd order or direct me to a source that does? I'm trying to do some stuff with quantum gravity and I don't want to spend all this time on such a trivial problem if the answer is already out there (I have looked).

Also, here is the method I have been using:
[tex]g^{\lambda\mu}g_{\mu\sigma} = \delta^\lambda_\sigma[/tex]
[tex]g^{\mu\nu} \equiv \eta^{\mu\nu} + sqrt(G)*h^{\mu\nu}[/tex]
[tex]g_{\mu\nu} \equiv \eta_{\mu\nu} + sqrt(G)*h_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

and then just use the resulting formula to calculate the contravariant h in terms of the covariant h order by order (use all possible combinations of h, [tex]\eta[/tex], and [tex]\partial[/tex] for each order of h and assign some constant that will be solved for). The problem is that the number of terms at each order grows very fast.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's do it in matrix form first and then put the indices in. Let N = ημν, H = hμν, and G = gμν.

G = (N + H)-1 = ((I + HN-1)N)-1 = N-1(I + HN-1)-1 = N-1 - N-1HN-1 + N-1HN-1HN-1 + ...

Therefore

gμν = ημν - ημαhαβηβν + ημαhαβηβγhγεηεν + ...

Last edited:

What are contravariant metric components?

Contravariant metric components are a set of mathematical quantities used in the field of differential geometry. They are used to describe the curvature and geometry of a space, and are essential to understanding the behavior of objects in that space.

How are contravariant metric components different from covariant metric components?

The main difference between contravariant and covariant metric components lies in their transformation properties under coordinate changes. Contravariant components transform in the opposite way as the coordinates, while covariant components transform in the same way.

What is the significance of contravariant metric components in general relativity?

In general relativity, contravariant metric components are used to describe the behavior of spacetime in the presence of massive objects. They are used to calculate the geodesic equations that govern the motion of particles in curved spacetime.

How are contravariant metric components calculated?

Contravariant metric components are calculated by taking the inverse of the covariant metric components. This can be done using a mathematical formula or by using a matrix inversion method.

What are the applications of contravariant metric components?

Contravariant metric components have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used in differential geometry, general relativity, and other fields to describe the behavior of objects in curved spaces. They are also used in tensor calculus, which is essential for many areas of physics and engineering.