Linearized Gravity & Metric Perturbation when Indices Raised

In summary, the conversation discusses linearized gravity, where the metric is decomposed into a flat Minkowski metric and a small perturbation. The conversation then explores the concept of raising indices on the metric, and how it differs for the Minkowski metric and the perturbation. Ultimately, it is determined that the Minkowski metric must be replaced with a slightly different metric, and this results in a different sign convention for raising indices on the perturbation.
George Keeling
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
##g^{\mu\nu}=\eta^{\mu\nu} \pm h^{\mu\nu}##?
I have just met linearized gravity where we decompose the metric into a flat Minkowski plus a small perturbation$$g_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}+h_{\mu\nu},\ \ \left|h_{\mu\nu}\ll1\right|$$from which we 'immediately' obtain $$g^{\mu\nu}=\eta^{\mu\nu}-h^{\mu\nu}$$I don't obtain that. In my rule book for tensor index manipulation it says you can always raise all the indices on an equation so I get$$g^{\mu\nu}=\eta^{\mu\nu}+h^{\mu\nu}$$Here's how to get a minus sign. For small changes $$\delta\left(g^{\mu\rho}g_{\rho\nu}\right)=g^{\mu\rho}\delta\left(g_{\rho\nu}\right)+\delta\left(g^{\mu\rho}\right)g_{\rho\nu}=0$$$$\Rightarrow g^{\mu\rho}\delta\left(g_{\rho\nu}\right)g^{\nu\sigma}=-\delta\left(g^{\mu\rho}\right)g_{\rho\nu}g^{\nu\sigma}$$now if I say ##\delta g\rightarrow h## I get $$g^{\mu\rho}g^{\nu\sigma}h_{\rho\nu}=-h^{\mu\sigma}$$So raising indices on ##h_{\mu\nu}## produces the minus sign! Why should I accept this exceptional result instead of the usual one that ##g^{\mu\rho}g^{\nu\sigma}h_{\rho\nu}=h^{\mu\sigma}##?

@haushofer proved the minus sign a different way here but that doesn't tell me why the 'normal' result is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
George Keeling said:
Summary:: ##g^{\mu\nu}=\eta^{\mu\nu} \pm h^{\mu\nu}##?

I don't obtain that. In my rule book for tensor index manipulation it says you can always raise all the indices on an equation
This is wrong in this case because ##\eta^{\mu\nu}## has a predefined meaning that is different from the symbol you get when you raise the indices with the metric g. It is therefore not a tensor in this case.

• Informative
  • Skeptical
Likes George Keeling and Dale
It's because ##g^{\mu \nu}## is obtained from ##g_{\mu \nu}## as the inverse matrix, i.e., via
$$g^{\mu \nu} g_{\nu \rho}=\delta_{\nu}^{\rho}.$$
Now make
$$g_{\nu \rho}=\eta_{\nu \rho}+h_{\nu \rho}$$
and
$$g^{\mu \nu}=\eta^{\mu \rho}+\tilde{h}^{\mu \nu},$$
where
$$(\eta_{\mu \nu})=(\eta^{\mu \nu})=\mathrm{diag}(1,-1,-1,-1).$$
From this you get, neglecting the term in second order of ##h_{\mu \nu}##,
$$g^{\mu \nu} g_{\nu \rho} = (\eta^{\mu \nu}+\tilde{h}^{\mu \nu})(\eta_{\nu \rho} + h_{\nu \rho})
=\delta_{\rho}^{\mu}+{h^{\mu}}_{\rho} + {\tilde{h}^{\mu}}_{\rho} +\ldots \stackrel{!}{=} \delta_{\rho}^{\mu}.$$
Note that here by definition the raising and lowering of indices is done with the "Minkowski metrix" ##\eta_{\mu \nu}## or ##\eta^{\mu \nu}## respectively. We get
$${\tilde{h}^{\mu}}_{\rho} = -{h^{\mu}}_{\rho}$$
or raising the 2nd index again with ##\eta^{\rho \nu}##:
$$\tilde{h}^{\mu \nu}=-h^{\mu \rho}.$$
So the additional - comes from the extra convention to lower and raise indices with ##\eta_{\mu \nu}## and ##\eta^{\mu \nu}## respectively when working within "linearized GR".

Likes dextercioby and George Keeling
Orodruin said:
It is therefore not a tensor in this case.
Raising indices on ##g_{\mu\nu}## and ##\eta_{\mu\nu}## worked but on ##h_{\mu\nu}## didn't. Is ##h_{\mu\nu}## the It you refer to? (Edit: No, it's ##\eta_{\mu\nu}## or ##{\widetilde{\eta}}^{\mu\nu},## see below)

Last edited:
vanhees71 said:
Note that here by definition the raising and lowering of indices is done with the "Minkowski metrix"
When raising indices on ##h## I don't think it makes any difference whether you use ##g## or ##\eta## or whether there's a + or a - in the ##h_{μν}## because nearly everything is second order or smaller: $$g^{\mu\sigma}g^{\nu\rho}h_{\sigma\rho}=\left(\eta^{\mu\sigma}\pm h^{\mu\sigma}\right)\left(\eta^{\nu\rho}\pm h^{\nu\rho}\right)h_{\sigma\rho}=\eta^{\mu\sigma}\eta^{\nu\rho}h_{\sigma\rho}\pm\eta^{\mu\sigma}h^{\nu\rho}h_{\sigma\rho}\ldots$$
The proof you give is pretty like the one I gave. Yours raises and lower indices on ##{\widetilde{h}}^{\mu\nu},h_{\mu\nu}## in the normal way. Why is it suddenly OK to do that?
I'm still confused. 😥

George Keeling said:
Raising indices on ##g_{\mu\nu}## and ##\eta_{\mu\nu}## worked but on ##h_{\mu\nu}## didn't. Is ##h_{\mu\nu}## the It you refer to?
Raising the indices on ##g## and ##\eta## does not use the same metric. That is the entire point. They differ by a quantity of order h.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and George Keeling
Consider the one-dimensional manifold with metric ##g= 1+h##. The inverse metric is then ##1/g = 1/(1+h) = 1-h + \mathcal O(h^2)##. This already tells you that the + sign in the inverse is wrong.

Likes dextercioby, vanhees71 and George Keeling
George Keeling said:
In my rule book for tensor index manipulation
What rule book? Please give a specific reference.

Orodruin said:
Raising the indices on g and η does not use the same metric. That is the entire point. They differ by a quantity of order h.
At last I get it:
we can raise indices on $$g_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}+h_{\mu\nu}$$and get$$g^{\mu\nu}=\eta^{\mu\nu}+h^{\mu\nu}$$but the ##\eta^{\mu\nu}## in that is the Minkowski metric in the ##g^{\mu\nu}## manifold. So its components are not the usual$${\widetilde{\eta}}^{\mu\nu}=\left(\begin{matrix}-1&0&0&0\\0&1&0&0\\0&0&1&0\\0&0&0&1\\\end{matrix}\right)$$but something slightly different. We want to use ##{\widetilde{\eta}}^{\mu\nu}## , not ##\eta^{\mu\nu}##. So we'll also have to replace ##h^{\mu\nu}## by an unknown tensor ##{\widetilde{h}}^{\mu\nu}## and we get $$g^{\mu\nu}={\widetilde{\eta}}^{\mu\nu}+{\widetilde{h}}^{\mu\nu}$$which is the same as
vanhees71 said:
##g^{\mu \nu}=\eta^{\mu \rho}+\tilde{h}^{\mu \nu},##
give or take a tilde.
I had also missed the significance of the following line
vanhees71 said:
##(η_{μν})=(η^{μν})=diag(1,−1,−1,−1).##
and I am using the opposite sign convention and using up more screen space. Then I can just follow vanhees61.

Thank you both for your patience!

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
What rule book? Please give a specific reference.
It's my collected notes on various rules about tensors. You probably wouldn't call it a proper book!

Attachments

• Commentary Tensor Tricks.pdf
    300 KB · Views: 139
George Keeling said:
It's my collected notes on various rules about tensors.
Since you open with a claim about there being an error in Carroll, and your claim is erroneous, you should not be depending on these to be accurate. I would strongly suggest using a textbook on tensor analysis as a reference if you want to be sure you're using the right rules. I would also strongly suggest asking for input from others before treating any claim about an error in a published textbook as accurate.

George Keeling said:
You probably wouldn't call it a proper book!
Indeed not.

• Haha
Likes George Keeling
Well, I think it's a good attitude, not to blindly believe what's printed in textbooks or even peer-reviewed papers. If I'd had a recipe against typos, misconceptions, or other errors, I'd made a lot of money selling the method ;-)). Of course, it's likely that one misunderstands the textbook, but if you can't rederive some result in it, it's good to question whether the author of the textbook or the paper may be in error and look for other treatments of the subject.

Likes George Keeling
PeterDonis said:
Since you open with a claim about there being an error in Carroll,
Sorry if it looked like that. I should have emphasised that it was me being so thick that I couldn't understand.

One more thing
PeterDonis said:
I would strongly suggest using a textbook on tensor analysis
Can you recommend such a textbook with lots of exercises?

George Keeling said:
Can you recommend such a textbook with lots of exercises?
If you mean a math textbook, I can't recommend one since my knowledge of tensor analysis comes from physics textbooks. The one I first learned it from was MTW, but that might be too heavy (both in the literal and figurative sense--the book weighs more than any other book in my library by a fair margin, excepting only the unabridged dictionary and the CRC). Carroll's book (or his free online lecture notes) might be a better, lighter introduction from a physics viewpoint, but it might not meet the "lots of exercises" part.

Likes George Keeling
I know which textbook I would suggest ... but I am quite biased on the matter ;)

Likes George Keeling
That I can warmly suggest:

https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books...l-methods-physics-engineering-mattias-blennow

I learned GR first for myself from Landau&Lifshitz vol. 2. That provides the necessary math in a very efficient manner. It's however restricted to holonomous bases. Then I got MTW an also learned the more modern Cartan approach. It emphasizes the geometrical interpretation ("geometrodynamics"). If you want less geometry and a more physical approach, Weinberg's book (1971) is a gem (as all textbooks by Weinberg).

Likes berkeman and George Keeling
Strangely, I have three of the books mentioned! So I guess I have plenty to read and study. Thanks again.

Likes vanhees71

What is linearized gravity?

Linearized gravity is a mathematical approximation used in the study of general relativity. It simplifies the complex equations of general relativity by assuming that the gravitational field is weak and the spacetime curvature is small. This allows for easier calculations and predictions of the behavior of gravity.

What is metric perturbation?

Metric perturbation refers to the small changes in the spacetime metric caused by the presence of a gravitational field. In linearized gravity, these perturbations are used to describe the gravitational field and its effects on particles and objects in the vicinity.

What does it mean to raise indices in linearized gravity?

In linearized gravity, indices are used to represent the components of the metric tensor. Raising indices means taking the inverse of the metric tensor and using it to contract with the original tensor. This is done to simplify calculations and to make the equations more manageable.

Why is linearized gravity used instead of the full theory of general relativity?

The full theory of general relativity is very complex and difficult to solve for most situations. Linearized gravity provides a simpler and more manageable approximation that can still accurately describe the behavior of gravity in most cases. It is also useful for making predictions and calculations in situations where the full theory is not necessary.

What are the practical applications of linearized gravity and metric perturbation?

Linearized gravity and metric perturbation are used in various fields of physics and astronomy, such as in the study of gravitational waves, black holes, and the large-scale structure of the universe. They are also used in engineering and technology, such as in the design of space missions and GPS systems.