Flocculation based water purification.

by PraAnan
Tags: based, flocculation, purification, water
PraAnan
Dec24-13, 04:23 AM
P: 37
Which is a better flocculant for water purification, aluminium or ferric sulfate? (I feel the latter might have the advantage because it also seems to lower heavy metal levels but I'm not 100% about this)

For the disinfectant part would chlorine dioxide be effective?

Would the flocculant be enough or would you need things like precipitates and coagulants to help it do a better job?

To any moderators: Initially I didn't see the chemistry section on this forum so if you think that this thread is in the wrong place please feel free to move it.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
Potent, puzzling and (now less) toxic: Team discovers how antifungal drug works
Research offers 'promise' of improved food safety
AidGear
Dec24-13, 09:24 AM
P: 2
I'm really glad someone posted this question. My area of interest is actually in disaster response water purification and I'd love to know the answer too. In terms of safety/weight/portability etc, what is the best chemical to use? My company (AidGear) is hoping to build a mobile floc unit for use in disaster response and so I'm always interested in following these issues.
PraAnan
Jan9-14, 11:30 AM
Just thought that I would give this thread a bump as I would still like to know.

russ_watters
Jan12-14, 08:08 PM
Mentor
P: 21,994

Flocculation based water purification.

Thread moved, on request.
PraAnan
Feb17-14, 03:07 PM
Last bump.

The two things that I would really like to know is if a flocculant is effective by itself or if it needs additives (like the ones mentioned in the first post) to make it work best and if ferric sulfate (or any other compound or mixture for that matter) can remove heavy metals.

Register to reply