Solve 3D Vector V1-V2+V3 Equations: Find V1,V2,V3 & Magnitude & Direction of V

• Thread starter rphmy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, given the equations V1–V2 +V3 = 2i+2j+3k, V1– 2V2-2V3 = -5i+7j+8k, and V1+V2+V3 = 4i-2j-k, V1, V2, and V3 can be found by solving the system of linear equations. The vector V can be found by adding V1 and V3, and its magnitude and direction can be determined by using the components of V.
rphmy
V1–V2 +V3 = 2i+2j+3k, V1– 2V2-2V3 = -5i+7j+8k, and V1+V2+V3 = 4i-2j-k

a) Find V1,V2, and V3

b) Find V=V1+V3 in terms of its components. What is the magnitude and direction of V?

All I know is that they are three dimensional vectors.

Any help will be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\vec{V}_{1} = 2\hat{i} + 2\hat{j} + 3\hat{k} + \vec{V}_{2} - \vec{V}_{3}[/tex]
Using substitution you should be able to solve for the 3 vectors.

Essentially, you are talking about solving three linear equations for the three unknowns,
V1, V2, and V3. odie5533's suggestion is good. It also appears that if you multiply the equation V1–V2 +V3 = 2i+2j+3k by 2 to get 2V1–2V2 +2V3 = 4i+4j+6k,and add that to the first equation, V1– 2V2-2V3 = -5i+7j+8k, you eliminate V3 from the equations. Treat it exactly like solving simultaneous.

1. What is a 3D vector?

A 3D vector is a mathematical concept that represents a quantity with both magnitude and direction in three-dimensional space. It is typically denoted by an arrow pointing in a specific direction and the length of the arrow represents the magnitude.

2. What is the equation for finding the magnitude of a 3D vector?

The equation for finding the magnitude of a 3D vector is |V| = √(Vx² + Vy² + Vz²), where Vx, Vy, and Vz are the components of the vector in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

3. How do you add or subtract two 3D vectors?

To add or subtract two 3D vectors, you simply add or subtract the corresponding components of the vectors. For example, to add V1 = (x1, y1, z1) and V2 = (x2, y2, z2), the resulting vector V3 = V1 + V2 would be (x1 + x2, y1 + y2, z1 + z2).

4. How do you find the direction of a 3D vector?

The direction of a 3D vector can be found by dividing the vector by its magnitude. This will result in a unit vector, which has a magnitude of 1 and represents the direction of the original vector.

5. What is the importance of solving 3D vector equations?

Solving 3D vector equations is important in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows us to accurately represent and manipulate physical quantities in three-dimensional space, and is essential in solving complex problems and creating realistic simulations.