Simple parametrized line integral

In summary, the conversation discusses a solved example of a parametrized line integral from a textbook. The line integral is evaluated for a straight line segment in the plane and can be used to find the mass of a wire given its density function. The purpose of a line integral is to measure the total effect of a vector field along a given curve. It is also mentioned that parametric curves can represent any type of change over time, such as temperature and rainfall.
hotcommodity
[SOLVED] Simple parametrized line integral

This is from an example in my textbook. They want you to evaluate the line integral:

[tex] \int_{C} y dx + 2x dy [/tex]

for the straight line segment in the plane from A(1, 1) to B(2, 4).

The example says that this segment can be parametrized as x = 1 + t, and y = 1 +3t, [tex] 0 \leq t \leq 1 [/tex]. I don't know as much about parametrization as I should, so I assume I'm missing something simple here. How are they able to set up x(t) and y(t) ?

Also, could someone explain the point of a line integral. My book shows that it can be used to find the mass of a wire given the density function of the wire. Is this all it's used for?

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Parametric curves "can be anything." Suppose x represents temperature and y is rainfall throughout the day. At midnight the temperature and the rainfall are both 1. As time passes, each changes with time. At the end of the day, x = 2 and y = 4.

It can be used to measure of the total effect of any vector field along a given curve (path) in that field. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_integral

I see, thank you for the response. It just confused me because the book didn't introduce the parametric equations until it stated the solution, which led me to believe that I was supposed to know what those curves were ahead of time.

1. What is a simple parametrized line integral?

A simple parametrized line integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve in a two-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function along a parametrized curve, which is a curve defined by a set of parametric equations.

2. How is a simple parametrized line integral different from a regular line integral?

A simple parametrized line integral is a specialized version of a regular line integral, in which the curve is defined by parametric equations rather than a single equation. This allows for more complex curves to be integrated over, as well as simplifying the integration process by breaking it down into smaller segments.

3. What is the significance of using parametric equations in a simple parametrized line integral?

Parametric equations allow for a more flexible and accurate representation of curves, as they can account for changes in both the x and y coordinates simultaneously. This is important in applications such as physics and engineering, where complex curves and surfaces need to be accurately measured and analyzed.

4. What are some real-world applications of simple parametrized line integrals?

Simple parametrized line integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are commonly used in calculating work, fluid flow, and electric fields. They are also used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and surfaces.

5. How can one solve a simple parametrized line integral?

To solve a simple parametrized line integral, one must first determine the parametric equations that define the curve. Then, the integral can be broken down into smaller segments and evaluated using standard integration techniques. Finally, the results of each segment can be added together to obtain the final value of the integral.