Mystery Lights Seen in Night Sky: What Are They?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a bright light seen over a city being a result of night scopes, an atmospheric phenomenon, or a satellite optical communications array. They also mention the credibility of a video showing the light and the potential for it to be a secret military project.
glondor
Do you think this is an effect of the night scopes? or is there some other phenominon going on here. I give the video 100% credability, as it seems several observers see the same thing... what are they seeing. Seems the brightest is over the biggest city.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could be a streak from a satellite optical communications array. This has been experimented before, a communication link with satellites by sending large amounts of data via an infrared laser.

http://spie.org/x14153.xml

Last edited:
I would put that down to an atmospheric phenomenon similar to a sundog http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k69/watertiger/450WEATHER_SUN_DOG_WHSE101_55819002.jpg" and you'll see all sorts of atmo phenomena.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Its probably the haze off mars."

:rofl:

The optical satellite theory does seem the most likely. But if it was a secret millitary project it could be pretty much anything.

Last edited:

1. What causes the mystery lights seen in the night sky?

There are several possible explanations for mystery lights seen in the night sky. Some of the most common causes include atmospheric phenomena such as auroras or meteors, man-made objects like drones or satellites, or natural occurrences like bioluminescent algae or lightning.

2. How can I tell the difference between a UFO and a man-made object?

It can be difficult to determine the origin of a mystery light in the night sky. However, there are a few key factors that can help differentiate between a UFO and a man-made object. For example, UFOs often exhibit unusual flight patterns or speeds, while man-made objects tend to move in a more controlled and predictable manner. Additionally, UFO sightings are often accompanied by other unexplained phenomena, such as strange sounds or sensations.

3. Are there any scientific studies on mystery lights seen in the night sky?

Yes, there have been many scientific studies conducted on mystery lights seen in the night sky. These studies often involve collecting data and analyzing patterns in sightings, as well as investigating potential causes for the lights. However, due to the elusive nature of these phenomena, there is still much that is unknown about them.

4. Can I see mystery lights in the night sky with the naked eye?

It is possible to see mystery lights in the night sky with the naked eye, depending on the cause and location of the lights. For example, auroras can often be seen with the naked eye in certain regions, while other phenomena may require specialized equipment or ideal viewing conditions.

5. Should I be concerned about mystery lights seen in the night sky?

In most cases, mystery lights seen in the night sky are harmless and do not pose a threat. However, if you are concerned about a specific sighting or experience, it is always a good idea to report it to local authorities or scientific organizations for further investigation.