Hit or Miss: Maintaining Fridge Temperature w/ Food or Air

• Thread starter redsrtturbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hypothetical
In summary, an empty refrigerator holds less cold air than a full one, and it takes less power to keep it at a set temperature once it's cooled down.
redsrtturbo
I haven't found an answer to this and I can't go to sleep until I do-

If two refrigerators are at the same thermostat setting. One empty (assumed regular Earth air inside) and one full of food.

Both have already reached the temperature on the thermostat. Which will require more energy to maintain at the set temperature (not specified)?

I don't know what equations to use here or if my thoughts are even in the right direction but here goes:

It would take more energy to maintain the fridge full of food b/c it has more matter that is subject to reaching equilibrium and so the refrigerator has to actively fight this and costs more energy than the fridge full of air.

Hit or Miss?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The only heat leak in a cold refrigerator is the thermal conductance in the refigerator walls, assuming the door seals well. It requires electrical energy to keep the inside cold. The average power W (watts) to keep it cold is W = C*(room temp-inside temp), where C = conductance. This does not depend on whether there is any food in it, as long as the food is cold. A refrigerator full of food will stay colder longer than one that is empty when there is a power failure, but it will take longer to cool it down again when the power comes back on.

As usual, Bob S is right on: heat gain and loss in general is via conduction, convection and radiation.

You have the right idea insofar as it likely takes more energy for the initial cooling; once all contents are at equilibrium it's equal with the door kept closed.

With a refrigerator, heat gain or loss is proportional to the temperature difference between inside and outside, as he notes. I monitor this closely on my boat because I use 12 volt dc batteries and a 12volt refrigeration compressor. (This redcues my need to run a relatively expensive diesel generator just for refrigeration.) If the internal frig temp is, say, 40 degrees and the ambient room temperature is say 65 degrees that's a 25 degree temperature. So if the room temperature is instead 90 degrees,as on a really hot summer day, that's 50 degrees above the refrig temp: so my batteries have to supply about twice the power. I can tell the difference just from the extra time the compressor runs and the extra time to recharge batteries when I do run a generator.

BUT, in practical use, a full frig, once fully cooled, takes less power to keep at that temperature because when the door is opened, less cold air escapes and has to be recooled. The contents "holds" cold better since cold it leaks out an open door much more slowly. Besides, selections for dinner are more varied!

Naty1 said:

BUT, in practical use, a full frig, once fully cooled, takes less power to keep at that temperature because when the door is opened, less cold air escapes and has to be recooled. The contents "holds" cold better since cold it leaks out an open door much more slowly.
Good point. An empty 20 cubic foot refrigerator holds about 0.54 cubic meters (750 grams) of cold air. It spills out and onto the floor every time we open the 'frig'.
Bob S

1. Why is it important to maintain the temperature of a fridge?

Maintaining the temperature of a fridge is important because it helps to keep food safe to eat. Bacteria can grow rapidly in temperatures between 40°F and 140°F, so keeping the fridge below 40°F helps to slow down this growth and prevent food from spoiling.

2. What is the ideal temperature for a fridge?

The ideal temperature for a fridge is between 35°F and 38°F. This is cool enough to slow down bacterial growth, but not so cold that food freezes. It is important to regularly check and adjust the temperature to ensure it stays within this range.

3. How can I check the temperature of my fridge?

You can check the temperature of your fridge by using a thermometer specifically designed for fridges, or by placing a thermometer in a glass of water and leaving it in the fridge for 24 hours. The temperature should be between 35°F and 38°F.

4. Why is it important to not overcrowd a fridge?

Overcrowding a fridge can prevent air from circulating properly, leading to uneven cooling and potential temperature fluctuations. This can also lead to food spoiling faster as it is not being stored at the correct temperature.

5. How often should I check the temperature of my fridge?

It is recommended to check the temperature of your fridge at least once a week. If you notice any changes in temperature, it is important to address the issue immediately to prevent food from spoiling.