Understanding the Poynting Vector Dilemma in Electrical Circuits

In summary, electrical energy transfer is done through electromagnetic waves that flow into and out of the wiring. The waves are created by electric currents and are determined by the type of current and the material the current is flowing through.
cak942
I was curious about how exactly energy was transferred in electrical circuits because all my texts were inadequate. After pouring through many sources ("electrical energy transfer" or anything similar yields crappy results through every search engine I tried) I finally found something I could buy: The energy is transferred through electromagnetic waves OUTSIDE of wires.

After researching Poynting's Theorem and vectors and trying to figure out exactly how the energy is sent and received, I ran across an issue with this theory.

A steady-state DC current has no accelerating charges (assuming the circuit has been closed for some time), no oscillating electric fields, and no oscillating magnetic fields. How can energy be transferred through electromagnetic waves if there is no reason those waves should be there?

And if the answer is that energy isn't, then how the heck is it transferred??

Physics news on Phys.org
cak942,

What you read is right - Poynting's Theorem shows that the energy is carried in teh fields outside the wire. Note that Poynting's theorem holds for DC as well as for AC. In fact, the DC case is a standard example in most EM textbooks. This is one topic for which the Feynman Lectures on Physics is hard to beat. I did a quick google search and found the following lecture notes that also may help (from a standard electrical engineering class).

http://inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ee117/sp09/lectures/lecture21.pdf

Charts 13-18 give the standard treatment, with not so many words, though.

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same confusion you had, until I realized that in a microwave waveguide, ALL the power was actually contained between the waveguide walls, not in them. The power had to be in the E and H fields, and the Poynting vector calculation gave respectible answers. It took me a while to realize that the Poynting vector calclation also applied to the ac power flowing to this computer in the power cord. The H fields are primarily outside the conductors, and there is 120 volts ac between them. This becomes more obvious when you consider a 1000-MHz signal traveling between two wires, because the skin effect forces all the current to the surface of the wires, and all the E and H fields are between the conductors, not in them.

Thank you for the confirmation JasonRF and the great example Bob S. That gave me a reason to continue reading about Poynting's Theorem. I'm not quite that far in my classes to understand everything I've read relating to Poynting's Theorem (I'm just going into my Freshman year) but I understand the principles of the theorem and it makes circuit theory make sense to me at a much deeper level. I never really like memorizing how to do things, I prefer knowing how they work at the deepest level, because if I forget what I've memorized, it's a cinch to learn it again when you truly understand what's going on.

However, Poynting's Theorem proves that energy is transferred through E and M fields outside of conductors and flows into the conductors, but I haven't been able to locate a description of HOW or WHY. How does the energy flow? I thought energy traveled in electromagnetic waves, yet in this case it is not. And Why does energy flow into the wiring? I know that the math shows that it flows into the wire, bur what forces the energy to behave that way?

Again, thank you for your time and responses.

1. What is the Poynting vector and why is it important in electrical circuits?

The Poynting vector is a mathematical concept that describes the direction and magnitude of electromagnetic energy flow in a given space. In electrical circuits, it is important because it helps us understand how energy is transferred from the source to the load and how it is distributed throughout the circuit.

2. How does the Poynting vector relate to the dilemma in electrical circuits?

The dilemma in electrical circuits arises when the direction of the Poynting vector does not match the direction of the current flow. This can lead to confusion and difficulty in understanding the flow of energy in the circuit.

3. Can you provide an example of the Poynting vector dilemma in an electrical circuit?

One example of the Poynting vector dilemma in an electrical circuit is when energy is flowing through a transmission line. The Poynting vector indicates that energy is flowing in both directions, but the current is only flowing in one direction. This can be confusing when trying to determine the direction of energy flow.

4. How can the Poynting vector dilemma be resolved in electrical circuits?

The Poynting vector dilemma can be resolved by considering the direction of the electric and magnetic fields in the circuit. The Poynting vector is a combination of these two fields, so by understanding their direction, we can determine the direction of energy flow in the circuit.

5. What are the practical implications of understanding the Poynting vector dilemma in electrical circuits?

Understanding the Poynting vector dilemma can help engineers and scientists design more efficient and reliable electrical circuits. It can also aid in troubleshooting and diagnosing issues in circuits, as well as improving overall understanding of electromagnetic energy flow.