Prove 2(a³+b³+c³) > a²b + a²c + b²c + b²a + c²a + c²b

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a proof for the inequality 2(a^3 + b^3 + c^3) > a^2b + a^2c + b^2c + b^2a + c^2a + c^2b, where a, b, and c are distinct positive numbers. The participants suggest using the arithmetic mean and geometric mean relationship, as well as other inequalities such as Rearrangement and AM-GM. The conversation ends with one member finding a solution by multiplying and adding terms.
Undirrast

Homework Statement

If a, b and c are distinct positive numbers, show that
[itex]
2 (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) > a^2b + a^2c + b^2c + b^2a + c^2a + c^2b
[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to expand from [tex](a+b+c)^3 > 0[/tex], also tried [tex](a+b)^3 + (b+c)^3 + (c+a)^3 > 0[/tex], and then [tex]\frac{a+b+c}{3} > \sqrt[3]{abc}[/tex]. But with no avail. I guess I'm heading in the wrong direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try playing with:
[tex]
a(a-b)^{2}+b(b-c)^{2}+c(c-a)^{2}>0\quad a(a-c)^{2}+b(b-a)^{2}+c(c-b)^{2}>0
[/tex]
along with other things like this to get the answer.

Hmm, thanks for your tip off, but I still can't seem to make it...

The 2 is always appearing on the right side of the inequality, but as of the question it's on the right side, if I expand [tex](a-b)^2[/tex] the 2 sticks together with ab instead of [tex]a^3[/tex]...

Have you heard of the arithmetic mean and geometric mean and their relationship? Try using the AM-GM inequality (it is extremely useful in situations like this, look it up!). Rearrange the left hand side as such: [tex]\frac{a^3+a^3+b^3}{3} +...[/tex] Apply the AM-GM inequality at each term and note exactly when you have equality. An alternative way is to use the rearrangement inequality. Assuming without loss of generality a >= b >= c, the inequality follows immediately, and strict inequality follows from a>c.

Symmetric inequalities as these can very often be solved using the inequalities QM-AM-GM-HM (quadratic, arithmetic, geometric and harmonic means), Rearrangement, Chebychev, Cauchy-Schwarz and Jensens; or a combination of these. Note also that this particular inequality is homogenous, so you can assume e.g. a+b+c=1, or a^3+b^3+c^3=1. That might also be useful in some situations.

Last edited:
Jarle said:
Have you heard of the arithmetic mean and geometric mean and their relationship? Try using the AM-GM inequality (it is extremely useful in situations like this, look it up!). Rearrange the left hand side as such: [tex]\frac{a^3+a^3+b^3}{3} +...[/tex] Apply the AM-GM inequality at each term and note exactly when you have equality.

I think I got it, by using [tex]\frac{a+b}{2}>\sqrt{ab}[/tex], etc and by multiplying a and b respectively then adding up all together made it. Thanks for all the tips!

What is the equation being asked to prove?

The equation being asked to prove is 2(a³+b³+c³) > a²b + a²c + b²c + b²a + c²a + c²b.

What does the notation "a³" mean in the equation?

The notation "a³" means that the variable "a" is being cubed, or multiplied by itself three times.

How can we prove this equation is true?

We can prove this equation is true by using mathematical manipulation and properties, such as the distributive property and the fact that a number multiplied by itself is always greater than or equal to 0.

What are the implications of this equation being true?

If this equation is true, it means that the sum of the cubes of three numbers is greater than the sum of all possible combinations of two of those numbers multiplied together.

Can this equation be generalized further?

Yes, this equation can be generalized to n number of variables, where the sum of the n-th powers of the variables is greater than the sum of all possible combinations of n-1 variables multiplied together.