Proving three angles are equal if they satisfy two conditions

You've been trying to do the problem for 2 days now. I'm trying to help you.You have a triangle. Use that fact.In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem statement involving trigonometric identities. There is a disagreement on the approach to solving the problem, with one person suggesting to use special values for certain trigonometric functions and the other person insisting on finding a solution that leads directly to the equality of variables. There is also a suggestion to use the fact that the problem involves a triangle.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
If ##\pmb{A+B+C=\pi}## and if ##\pmb{\sin^2A+\sin^2B+\sin^2C=\sin A\sin B+\sin B\sin C+\sin C\sin A}##, then show that ##\pmb{\boxed{A=B=C}}##.
Relevant Equations
1. ##\sin x-\sin y=2 \cos\dfrac{x+y}{2} \sin\dfrac{x-y}{2}##
2. ##\cos(\pi/2 - \theta)=\sin\theta##
1645015000548.png
Problem Statement :
I copy and paste the statement of the problem directly from the text.

Attempt : I wasn't able to go far into the solution. Below is a rough attempt.

##\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}

\sin^2A-\sin A\sin B+\sin^2B-\sin B\sin C+\sin^2C-\sin C\sin A & = 0\\
\sin A(\sin A - \sin B)+\sin B (\sin B - \sin C)+\sin C (\sin C - \sin A) & = 0\\
\sin A \cos \dfrac{A+B}{2} \sin \dfrac{A-B}{2}+\sin B \cos \dfrac{B+C}{2} \sin \dfrac{B-C}{2}+\sin C \cos \dfrac{C+A}{2}\sin \dfrac{C-A}{2}&=0\\
\sin A \sin C \sin \dfrac{A-B}{2}+\sin B \sin A \sin \dfrac{B-C}{2}+\sin C \sin B \sin \dfrac{C-A}{2}&=0\\\end{split}
\end{equation*}
##

I am stuck at the last step.

A hint or clue would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see where you used ##A + B + C = \pi##? Note that ##\sin(\pi - x) = \sin x##.

What about ##A = \pi, B = C = 0##?

You have a triangle. Use that fact.

Here's an idea. Try ##C = \frac \pi 2##, i.e. ##\sin C = 1##. The solution to that is to look at the quantity ##(\sin A - \sin B)^2##. Then, try the same for any ##C##: i.e. get an expression for ##(\sin A - \sin B)^2##.

Vanadium 50 said:
It seems to be more generally true.

Vanadium 50 said:
That seems like a good idea to me, at least if it helps.
If bobby can without this, fine. ... or with it, fine.

PeroK said:
It seems to be more generally true.
He has 3 angles that add to 180. How is that more general than a triangle?

Vanadium 50 said:
He has 3 angles that add to 180. How is that more general than a triangle?
The condition ##A + B + C = \pi## is not needed. If, in the main equality, we replace ##\sin A## by any number ##a##, ##\sin B## by any number ##b## and ##\sin C## by any number ##c##, then that equality alone implies that ##a = b = c##. I found trying to use trig identities a distraction.

Likes Vanadium 50 and Delta2
For exmple, to give the OP a bit more help. If ##c = 2##, then:
$$a^2 + b^2 = ab + 2a + 2b - 4$$And
$$(a-b)^2 = a^2 + b^2 -2ab = 2a + 2b - 4 - ab$$Now use that the LHS is ##\ge 0## to show that ##a = b = 2##. Then generalise these steps for any ##c##.

It's interesting that trying to see why it doesn't work when ##\sin C = 2## showed that it does work for any numbers!

PPS once we have ##\sin A = \sin B = \sin C##, then ##A + B + C = \pi## is one way of constraining the angles so that they must be equal, given the sines are equal. That's where the triangle comes in.

PeroK said:
I don't see where you used ##A + B + C = \pi##? Note that ##\sin(\pi - x) = \sin x##.
In step 3, where I used ##\cos\dfrac{A+B}{2}=\cos\dfrac{\pi-C}{2}=\sin\dfrac{C}{2}##

Likes PeroK
brotherbobby said:
In step 3, where I used ##\cos\dfrac{A+B}{2}=\cos\dfrac{\pi-C}{2}=\sin\dfrac{C}{2}##
Using trig identities didn't seem to lead anywhere. See the above posts. Sooner or later you have to try something different. I tried ##\sin C = 0## and then ##\sin C = 1## (and that gave me the clue on how to solve it - and to see that it was not directly to do with sines and trig identities).

I never spend too long on something without changing my strategy. For example, if something is hard to prove, then it might not be true. So, you should be checking that out as well.

As above, just take ##a, b, c## instead of ##\sin A, \sin B, sin C## and show that ##a = b = c##. Try ##c = 1## to get the algebraic steps needed and then generalise for any ##c##.

@PeroK , I should confess that I followed little of what you have been saying, but thank you all the same.
I do not want to take any special values for ##c=\sin C##, or for any of the other ##\sin's## for that matter. The solution I am looking for should follow straight to the equality ##A=B=C##.

Look at post #3 above, from you.
PeroK said:
What about ##A = \pi, B = C = 0##?
In that case, the given conditional ##\sin^2A+\sin^2B+\sin^2C=\sin A\sin B+\sin B\sin C+\sin C\sin A## would not be true, for the L.H.S = 1 while the R.H.S. = 0. This conditional is a given, so it cannot be taken to be something else.

• Sad
Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
Using trig identities didn't seem to lead anywhere. See the above posts. Sooner or later you have to try something different. I tried ##\sin C = 0## and then ##\sin C = 1## (and that gave me the clue on how to solve it - and to see that it was not directly to do with sines and trig identities).

I never spend too long on something without changing my strategy. For example, if something is hard to prove, then it might not be true. So, you should be checking that out as well.

As above, just take ##a, b, c## instead of ##\sin A, \sin B, sin C## and show that ##a = b = c##. Try ##c = 1## to get the algebraic steps needed and then generalise for any ##c##.
Ok let me think along your lines. It is not the ideal way to solve this problem, given that it is from a text on elementary trigonometry. But if nothing else works out, it is better than nothing.

brotherbobby said:
I do not want to take any special values for ##c=\sin C##, or for any of the other ##\sin's## for that matter.
Why not? That's how you gain insight into a problem.
brotherbobby said:
The solution I am looking for should follow straight to the equality ##A=B=C##.
There are two modes of mathematical thinking: ("machine mode") working inside the system, where you strictly apply mathematical rules; and, "intelligence mode", working outside the system, where you ask yourself "is this true?", "why is this true?", "what if I try this?" ...

You're trying to do mathematics almost entirely in machine mode and not using intelligence mode. That's partly why you go round in circles. Whereas, I jumped out of the system, worked in intelligence mode and then saw what machine rules to apply.

Using your intelligence is the difference between solving these problems and being able to move on and endlessly applying mathematical rules until, perhaps eventually, you stumble blindly on a solution.

Likes Hall
PeroK said:

There are two modes of mathematical thinking: ("machine mode") working inside the system, where you strictly apply mathematical rules; and, "intelligence mode", working outside the system, where you ask yourself "is this true?", "why is this true?", "what if I try this?" ...

You're trying to do mathematics almost entirely in machine mode and not using intelligence mode. That's partly why you go round in circles. Whereas, I jumped out of the system, worked in intelligence mode and then saw what machine rules to apply.

Using your intelligence is the difference between solving these problems and being able to move on and endlessly applying mathematical rules until, perhaps eventually, you stumble blindly on a solution.
Yes I understand. Very good point. I suppose it is how someone's been trained. The country I am from, we train our children in the machine mode. I suppose both the machine and intelligence mode are necessary to be a good math student.

PeroK said:

Yes I understand. Very good point. I suppose it is how someone's been trained. The country I am from, we train our children in the machine mode. I suppose both the machine and intelligence mode are necessary to be a good math student.

Likes PeroK
Ok I have solved the problem using @PeroK 's technique. I provide the details below.

Problem statement : Given ##A+B+C=\pi## (##\leftarrow##we'd find this not necessary) and ##\sin^2A+\sin^2B+\sin^2C=\sin A\sin B+\sin B\sin C+\sin C\sin A##, show that angles ##\boxed{A=B=C}##.

Attempt : Let us take ##\sin A =a, \sin B=b, \sin C=c##. This makes our given (2nd) identity appear thus
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
a^2+b^2+c^2 &= ab+bc+ca\\
\Rightarrow a^2+b^2+c^2-ab-bc-ca &= 0 \\
\Rightarrow \dfrac{1}{2}\left[(a-b)^2+(b-c)^2+(c-a)^2\right]&=0 ^{\large{\pmb{*}}}\\
\Rightarrow a&=b=c\\
\Rightarrow \sin A & = \sin B=\sin C\\
\Rightarrow \pmb{A}&=\pmb{B=C}
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
##^{\large{\pmb{*}}}## can be shown via elementary algebra

(In retrospect, I suppose we do need the fact that the angles ##A+B+C=\pi##. This would constrain the equality of their sine's to the principal values of the angles)

Likes PeroK

1. How do I prove that three angles are equal?

To prove that three angles are equal, you must show that they have the same measurement. This can be done by using the properties of congruent triangles or by using algebraic equations.

2. What are the two conditions that must be satisfied in order to prove that three angles are equal?

The two conditions that must be satisfied are that the angles must be congruent or they must have the same measurement.

3. Can I use any method to prove that three angles are equal?

Yes, there are multiple methods that can be used to prove that three angles are equal. Some common methods include using the properties of congruent triangles, using algebraic equations, or using the angle sum property.

4. Do I need to know the measurements of all three angles to prove that they are equal?

No, it is not necessary to know the exact measurements of all three angles. As long as you can show that they have the same measurement or are congruent, you can prove that they are equal.

5. Can I prove that three angles are equal if they are not part of a triangle?

Yes, you can still prove that three angles are equal even if they are not part of a triangle. As long as you can show that they have the same measurement or are congruent, you can prove that they are equal.