Difference between a kelvin and a celcius degree

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between a kelvin and a Celsius degree. The answer is that the size of a Celsius degree is the same as the size of a Kelvin degree, and the confusion may stem from not understanding the difference between the unit used and the quantity measured. The problem in the textbook may also be ambiguous, as it does not specify whether it wants the answer in terms of magnitude or absolute value.
asdf12321asdf

Homework Statement

I feel stupid posting this but I am completely lost. This is a problem on my Chemistry textbook's website, which gives immediate feedback on whether you are right or wrong, and I am just unable to get it right.

The question:
What is the difference between a kelvin and a Celsius degree?

Below in the answer box it says :
1 K = _________ °C

The Attempt at a Solution

So to convert from K to °C you do temperature in K - 273.15, right? So I did 1 - 273.15 and got -272.15. I put that in as my answer and got it wrong.

I feel like I am doing it right, so I'm not sure if maybe the answer key is wrong. Or maybe I am just stupid. I've tried numerous other numbers and keep getting it wrong, and for each wrong answer I am getting points off. Please help.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
So you are confused about which way to go.
Think about the degrees this way: 0 C is 273.15 K. I agree with YOUR answer. Absolute Zero K would be -273.15 C. One degree up from absolute zero, same size degree regardless of scale chosen between K or C, would then be -273.15+1=-272.15 C

I think the problem is probably asking about the magnitude of a Kelvin degree as compared to the magnitude of a Celsius degree. Since they are the same magnitude, it wants the answer that 1K = 1C. Try this and see if this is the right answer.

phyzguy said:
I think the problem is probably asking about the magnitude of a Kelvin degree as compared to the magnitude of a Celsius degree. Since they are the same magnitude, it wants the answer that 1K = 1C. Try this and see if this is the right answer.

It was right! Thanks so much. I'm a bit confused by the answer though. Does 1K = 1C because of the fact that a change in 1 degree in both K and C is the same amount? Also, how am I supposed to know that they want 1K = 1C rather than 1K = -272.15?

asdf12321asdf said:
It was right! Thanks so much. I'm a bit confused by the answer though. Does 1K = 1C because of the fact that a change in 1 degree in both K and C is the same amount? Also, how am I supposed to know that they want 1K = 1C rather than 1K = -272.15?

Yes, that's right, the point is that a change of 1K is the same as a change of 1C. As far as how you're supposed to know what they are asking, I have no idea. Maybe you should point out to your teacher that the problem is ambiguous.

phyzguy said:
Yes, that's right, the point is that a change of 1K is the same as a change of 1C. As far as how you're supposed to know what they are asking, I have no idea. Maybe you should point out to your teacher that the problem is ambiguous.

Ok, will do. Thanks again for the help!

The size of a Celsius degree is the same as the size of a Kelvin degree.

asdf12321asdf said:
What is the difference between a kelvin and a Celsius degree?

phyzguy said:
Maybe you should point out to your teacher that the problem is ambiguous.

They don't ask about TEMPERATURE, they ask about a DEGREE. I don't see ambiguity here, even if I understand the confusion - but confusion comes from the lack of understanding of the difference between unit used and quantity measured.

What is the difference between a kelvin and a celcius degree?

Kelvin and Celcius are both units of temperature measurement. The main difference between them is their starting point. Kelvin starts at absolute zero, which is -273.15 degrees Celcius. This means that 0 kelvin is equal to -273.15 degrees Celcius.

Which unit is larger, a kelvin or a celcius?

Kelvin is a larger unit of measurement than Celcius. This is because Kelvin starts at absolute zero, which is the lowest possible temperature and cannot be negative. Celcius, on the other hand, has a negative range of -273.15 degrees to 0 degrees.

Can kelvin and celcius be converted to each other?

Yes, kelvin and celcius can be converted to each other using a simple formula. To convert from kelvin to celcius, subtract 273.15 from the kelvin temperature. To convert from celcius to kelvin, add 273.15 to the celcius temperature.

Which unit is used in scientific calculations, kelvin or celcius?

Kelvin is the preferred unit of measurement in scientific calculations. This is because it is an absolute scale and does not have negative values, making it easier to work with mathematically.

Why is kelvin considered the standard unit of temperature measurement?

Kelvin is considered the standard unit of temperature measurement because it is based on the fundamental properties of matter, specifically the motion of particles at absolute zero. This makes it a more precise and accurate unit for scientific research and calculations.