Understanding Separable Differential Equations and Initial Value Problems

In summary: In fact, there could be an infinite number of solutions, depending on the particular value of the constants.For the first equation, y/(y-1) = (y - 1 + 1)/(y - 1) = 1 + 1/(y - 1). The integral of this would be y + log(y - 1).For the second equation, y'/y-1 = 1/t dy/(y-1) dy = 1/t dt here i do not know how to integrate the LHS??but i looked the answer up in wolfram alpha and got it solved from there.For y/(y-1) dy = 1/t dt
simba_

Homework Statement

I am stuck on these two questions. The first one I can start off and finish but i cannot do the middle part and in the second question I have no idea how to start it off.

Find the general solution of the following separable equations; then use the solution which obeys the initial condition y(1)=2 to solve

1) tyy'=y-1

2) y'=y2-4y

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1)

yy'/y-1 = 1/t
y/(y-1) dy = 1/t dt

here i do not know how to integrate the LHS??
but i looked the answer up in wolfram alpha and got it solved from there.

2) no idea how to start this one

the answer for question is
-1/(c+logt)

-where c is 1/2

Sorry for my poorly presented questions, Ill learn how to write out the equations properly for my next post!

Physics news on Phys.org
For

y/(y-1) dy = 1/t dt

you can integrate the LHS by parts. For

2) y'=y2-4y

you also use the fact that the equation is separable. The integration can be done by partial fractions.

In the first question, y/(y-1) = (y - 1 + 1)/(y - 1) = 1 + 1/(y - 1). The integral of this would be y + log(y - 1).
In the second question, you can either complete the square or separate the integrand by partial fractions. By partial fracs, the LHS dy/(y)(y - 4) is separated into => (dy/4y) - (dy/4(y - 4)) which can be easily integrated.

fzero said:
For

y/(y-1) dy = 1/t dt

you can integrate the LHS by parts. For

2) y'=y2-4y

you also use the fact that the equation is separable. The integration can be done by partial fractions.

i got the first one... thanks.

for the second one i have to find a way to integrate 1/(y2-4y) dy I am lost as to how i do this, I am assuming its but integration by parts but i cannot get an answer using this method

simba_ said:
i got the first one... thanks.

for the second one i have to find a way to integrate 1/(y2-4y) dy I am lost as to how i do this, I am assuming its but integration by parts but i cannot get an answer using this method
Not integration by parts -- use partial fractions. You want to find constants A and B so that 1/(y2-4y) = A/y + B/(y - 4).

Mark44 said:
Not integration by parts -- use partial fractions. You want to find constants A and B so that 1/(y2-4y) = A/y + B/(y - 4).

ahhh thanks... my brain is still moving a bit slow from last night

Also, I would not use "integration by parts for the first one"- use simple algebra:
[tex]\frac{y}{y- 1}= \frac{y- 1+ 1}{y- 1}= 1+ \frac{1}{y- 1}[/tex]

One needs to be careful with these separable variable equations.

For instance, let us consider the second equation,

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = y^2 -4 y.[/tex]​

We always have to remember that division by zero is not a mathematically valid operation. So, when we separate variables to write

[tex]\frac{dy}{y^2 -4 y} = dt,[/tex]​

we need to state that [tex]y \neq 0[/tex] and [tex]y \neq 4[/tex]. Once we integrate on both sides to get [tex]y(t)[/tex] in implicit form (and perhaps be able to solve for it in terms of elementary functions), we need to see what happens when [tex]y = 0[/tex] and [tex]y = 4[/tex]. It is easy to see that both of these are solutions to the differential equation, but are not solutions to the initial value problem at hand.

Let's imagine, however, that the initial value problem was [tex]y(3) = 4[/tex], for instance. You'd have two solutions for this IVP - the one corresponding to a particular integration constant, and [tex]y(t) = 4[/tex]. Uniqueness of the solution doesn't hold.

1. What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is an equation that involves a first derivative of a function. It can be written in the form of dy/dx = f(x,y), where y is the dependent variable and x is the independent variable.

2. What are some real-life applications of first order differential equations?

First order differential equations are used to model growth and decay processes, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and drug concentration in the body. They are also used in physics to model motion and in engineering to analyze electric circuits.

3. How do you solve a first order differential equation?

The most common method for solving first order differential equations is separation of variables. This involves isolating the dependent and independent variables on opposite sides of the equation and integrating both sides. Other methods include using substitution, exact equations, and integrating factors.

4. Can first order differential equations be solved numerically?

Yes, first order differential equations can be solved numerically using methods such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and the finite difference method. These methods involve approximating the solution at discrete points and using iterative calculations to find the values at each point.

5. What is the difference between an ordinary differential equation and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations can be solved using methods such as separation of variables and integration, while partial differential equations require more advanced techniques such as Fourier series and Laplace transforms.