Lower mass limit for neutron stars?

In summary: Beyond this, the pressure from the degeneracy pressure and the binding energy of the neutrons start to increase. This makes the neutron star unstable and it will collapse into a black hole.
Reedbeta
I was wondering, does anyone know of a lower limit on the mass of a neutron star from fundamental physics? That is, the smallest it could be before its pressure would make it explode.

I don't mean the Chandrasekhar limit, as that's the upper limit for a white dwarf. Neutron stars occurring "in the wild" probably can't be too much smaller than this, as they would never have collapsed to a neutron star in the first place, but ignoring that fact, might much-smaller neutron stars be stable if they could somehow be created?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The funny thing about neutron stars is they don't explode. If a neutron star accretes enough mass after formation, it will collapse into a black hole.

I think the Chandrasekhar limit is the limit. The Chandrasekhar limit isn't based on stellar evolution or detailed mechanisms of collapse. It's based on stability. If you could initially form a ball of neutrons with a mass under the Chandrasekhar limit, I think it would do [itex]n\rightarrow p+e^-+\bar{\nu}[/itex] and turn into a white dwarf.

bcrowell said:
I think the Chandrasekhar limit is the limit. The Chandrasekhar limit isn't based on stellar evolution or detailed mechanisms of collapse. It's based on stability. If you could initially form a ball of neutrons with a mass under the Chandrasekhar limit, I think it would do [itex]n\rightarrow p+e^-+\bar{\nu}[/itex] and turn into a white dwarf.

Intriguing thought! I suspect you are right. Nothing else seems to make sense.

See http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0012321
On the minimum and maximum mass of neutron stars and the delayed collapse
Authors: Klaus Strobel, Manfred K. Weigel (University of Munich)
(Submitted on 14 Dec 2000)
Abstract: The minimum and maximum mass of protoneutron stars and neutron stars are investigated. The hot dense matter is described by relativistic (including hyperons) and non-relativistic equations of state. We show that the minimum mass ($\sim$ 0.88 - 1.28 $M_{\sun}$) of a neutron star is determined by the earliest stage of its evolution and is nearly unaffected by the presence of hyperons. The maximum mass of a neutron star is limited by the protoneutron star or hot neutron star stage. Further we find that the delayed collapse of a neutron star into a black hole during deleptonization is not only possible for equations of state with softening components, as for instance, hyperons, meson condensates etc., but also for neutron stars with a pure nucleonic-leptonic equation of state.
Comments: 6 pages, 4 figures, using EDP Siences Latex A&A style, to be published in A&A
Subjects: Astrophysics (astro-ph); Nuclear Theory (nucl-th)
Journal reference: Astron.Astrophys.367:582,2001
DOI: 10.1051/0004-6361:20000428
Cite as: arXiv:astro-ph/0012321v1

bcrowell said:

The key factor is the core mass of the progenitor star. The supernova event that births a neutron star expels a large fraction of the progenitor star mass. Most known neutron stars fall below the Chandrasekhar mass limit. The lowest known neutron star mass is around 1 solar.

Last edited:

What is the lower mass limit for neutron stars?

The lower mass limit for neutron stars is approximately 1.4 times the mass of the Sun, also known as the Chandrasekhar limit. This is the minimum mass required for a neutron star to form after a supernova explosion.

Why is there a lower mass limit for neutron stars?

The lower mass limit for neutron stars is due to the strong gravitational force of the collapsed star's mass. At this limit, the gravitational force becomes so strong that it overcomes the electron degeneracy pressure, resulting in a collapse into a neutron star.

What happens if a star's mass is below the lower mass limit?

If a star's mass is below the lower mass limit, it will not be able to form a neutron star and will instead become a white dwarf. White dwarfs are made up of degenerate electrons and do not have enough mass to collapse into a neutron star.

What is the maximum mass for a neutron star?

The maximum mass for a neutron star is still a topic of debate among scientists. It is estimated to be around 2-3 times the mass of the Sun, known as the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff limit. Beyond this limit, the gravitational force would be too strong for even neutron degeneracy pressure to support the star, resulting in a collapse into a black hole.

What are the implications of the lower mass limit for neutron stars?

The lower mass limit for neutron stars has important implications for understanding the processes of supernova explosions and the formation of compact objects in the universe. It also helps us understand the physical properties and behavior of matter under extreme conditions, such as high density and strong gravity.