Weird Private Messages: Stories & Advice

• Thread starter Grace
  • Start date
In summary: I'd suggest caution if someone sends a PM like that to you in the future, and to report it to a mentor if it's not addressed. Additionally, it's always good to be aware of people's online activity (even if you don't know them in real life), just in case.
Grace
I'm sorry… this is so out of character for me, but I just received a Private Messsage that inspired me to start a thread. I won't bother to say who sent it to me, but here it is:
I have a question for you that I bet you can answer.

In the gym, lockeroom, dorm shower, or restroom I am sure that you see women naked. I am curios just how popular shaving bald is among the females who are not professional models. How often do you see the housewife or banker type female shaved bald at the gym or in the lockeroom? How often do you see the female in her 40's & 50"s shaved bald at the gym or in the lockeroom. Are there many women in there 30's that you have seen naked who are not shaved bald? Are you shaved bald?

I would greatly appreciate as much information as you have time to share. Thanks so much !

This was my response:

First of all I think that's a bold question of you to ask me and I wouldn't suggest approaching any of the other women or members that way. Secondly, what makes you think I see so many women naked? I rarely see women naked, and if I WERE to see someone naked at the gym I wouldn't look long enough to check out how she styles her pubic hair. I know movies portray women standing around talking, doing their hair, and putting on their make-up in their birthday suits, but as far as I know, that's just a male fantasy being projected onto the big screen… and if not, I'm missing something. Sorry if I come across as being rude for an honest question. If this was a joke, good one… and if not, good luck finding some tact. Take care,
Anyways, I don't really mean to rag on this guy, and I feel pretty bad posting this as it is, but I have to ask if any of you have some good stories about whack private messages. DO tell, if you do.

http://www.photoshopforums.com/images/avatars/83730987641cdc86783d71.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Grace said:
I'm sorry… this is so out of character for me, but I just received a Private Messsage that inspired me to start a thread. I won't bother to say who sent it to me, but here it is:

This was my response:

Anyways, I don't really mean to rag on this guy, and I feel pretty bad posting this as it is, but I have to ask if any of you have some good stories about whack private messages. DO tell, if you do.

Don't ever hesitate to report inappropriate private messages to a mentor, we can take necessary action against the person bothering you.

Originally posted Evo:
Don't ever hesitate to report inappropriate private messages to a mentor, we can take necessary action against the person bothering you.
I have to agree, although it is a strange question. This guy probably just has a pubic hair fetish… I don't take it personally. I have yet to receive one that offends me. I find it flattering that people want my opinion on things, no matter how trivial the question might seem.

so what's the answer? shaved or not?
lol jk

so what's the answer? shaved or not?
lol jk
LOL. Like I said before, I didn't find the question offensive, and I wouldn't mind answering it or whatever, I just though it was a tactless way to approach someone and I just wanted to hear if anyone ever got Private messages like that. I thought maybe it would be funny to hear some stories. Anyways, sorry there were just a few thoughts on all of this. I think I'm done with this thread. Besides, I have to go shave my pubic hair off. :wink:

I just couldn't help laughing when I read the quoted text in the OP. That was just too funny...no offence meant ! Just sounded too much like someone...but that someone's not around anymore, I think.

I've gotten some weird PMs too - not funny, just weird.

One person - who I'd had no interaction with, nor recall having read any posts of - repeatedly PMed me asking me to determine the identity of another member (without making this member suspicious) who he thought was someone he knew. For some reason, he didn't want the other person to know who he really was, so couldn't directly ask. I told him that I could not do that, but would pass on any message to this other member maintaining his (the PMer's) anonymity. He wouldn't have that. After a couple of repeated PMs requesting (no, pleading) my action he stopped. Much later, I got a final PM from him, saying he was mistaken after all, so don't bother.

Since it seems like this person picked me at random, I think he may have asked this favor of others as well.

Last edited:
Thats funny.

The original post was quite funny as well. I've gotten one asking me a Physics question nothing weird.

I have never received so much as a single untoward PM, despite my hopes! Some people have all the luck.

*I'd love to hear an answer to post #4* :rofl: :shy:

Don't despair. I'll send you a filthy PM later, Boulderhead. xox :wink:

Thank you MIH, it would really mean a lot to me and I promise not to expose you !

Grace said:
I think I'm done with this thread. Besides, I have to go shave my pubic hair off. :wink:

Keep us updated, and maybe post few pictures, Hmmm ?

So what's the answer ? Inquiring minds want to know ! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Originally Posted by tumor
Keep us updated, and maybe post few pictures, Hmmm ?
Well, you'll just have to wait till I'm a Playmate! Just kidding. My boyfriend has a few photos of me and is very happy. That specific guy who PM me will never see them.

I have some friends who have undergone laser hair removal to be permanently smooth… what does everyone think of that?

Grace said:
I have some friends who have undergone laser hair removal to be permanently smooth… what does everyone think of that?

I like a bit of well maintained turf on the green before I putt. :biggrin:

Grace said:

Not too fussy, but an unkempt mass of fuzz gets a bit tickly sometimes...

Originally Posted by Curious3124
I like a bit of well maintained turf on the green before I putt. :biggrin:
It's the only way to go if you truly want a hole in one.

Is a hole-in-one roughly equivalent to a bald eagle?

BoulderHead said:

Better than a birdie in the bush. :tongue2:

Grace ? if that small picture in upper right corner is really you,then you are :tongue2:

Birdies and eagles, eh ? With you incompetents on the fairway, I can bet I'll be hearing a lot of "fore" when you guys "play".

Ooh, grace looks like Vanessa Williams, wot ?

Why not just ask a female friend?

Everyone is pretty open around here. Asking someone how much they get paid is common, and not considered personal. Things like school grades, debt, and all that stuff.

Although mostly everyone is willing to say anything comfortably, they will not tell you passwords and that kind of stuff.

If I were that guy, I would just ask some girl that he knows.

As for random messages, not yet. I have had some at other websites though, but nothing too weird.

For Grace,

I think its great that you handled it well.

I guess I am a prude. I would not have responded to a PM that juvenile.

Originally posted by BoulderHead:
On some foreign tongues, most definitely.

Grace ? so you have a boyfriend eh ?

D'oh !

Evo said:

I think Grace gave a reasonable response to it. I probably would have stopped at the first line, telling him it was an inappropriate and overly forward question to ask and leave it at that. I'm not going to get myself in trouble with someone's parents for answering any question they have about sex or sexuality that can't be asked and answered in the context of the biology forum. Since we allow people on this board 13 yrs and up, juvenile questions will happen from time to time, so I guess I have some patience with explaining to them that they've crossed a line between what is and isnt' appropriate and leave it at that.

Originally posted by Evo:
Although I thought it was a little bit of a weird question I replied. I can't say I got offended at all. Questions don't bother me at all. God knows there are worst things a person could do.

I get some really "out there" ones through my yahoo group. I ignore the nasty ones. :tongue2:

Moonbear said:
I think Grace gave a reasonable response to it. I probably would have stopped at the first line, telling him it was an inappropriate and overly forward question to ask and leave it at that. I'm not going to get myself in trouble with someone's parents for answering any question they have about sex or sexuality that can't be asked and answered in the context of the biology forum. Since we allow people on this board 13 yrs and up, juvenile questions will happen from time to time, so I guess I have some patience with explaining to them that they've crossed a line between what is and isnt' appropriate and leave it at that.
I'm not that open minded, that PM had no merit whatsoever. That wasn't inquisitiveness, that was pure idiocy from a troll and did not deserve a response. I get those and delete them, I certainly don't respond to them.

Grace said:
Although I thought it was a little bit of a weird question I replied. I can't say I got offended at all. Questions don't bother me at all. God knows there are worst things a person could do.

I get some really "out there" ones through my yahoo group. I ignore the nasty ones. :tongue2:
Sorry Grace, but responding to these idiot messages is not the thing to do. You are only asking them to continue. I don't get offended, I realize what is acceptable and what crosses the line, this crosses the line, don't encourage it, at least not here. If you want this sort of thing, that's fine, don't post it here.

Evo said:
I'm not that open minded, that PM had no merit whatsoever. That wasn't inquisitiveness, that was pure idiocy from a troll and did not deserve a response. I get those and delete them, I certainly don't respond to them.

I guess if I got a lot of those, I'd stop replying. Not sure if I'd have replied under these circumstances either, given she didn't even know who this poster was. The only time I got anything that personal somewhat out of the blue, I knew it was related to a thread I was discussing at the time, so did respond that the question was too personal and if it couldn't be discussed in the active thread, I wasn't going to discuss it in a PM. But that person promptly apologized realizing he'd gone a tad too far in his curiosity. I figure with most of the board knowing I have expertise in reproduction, I'm a likely target for some off-the-wall questions. Maybe that also means they know they're going to get rather dry answers from me, so don't bother asking.

All I ever get are dirty PMs, 1000s of them. But I won't mention any names (Moonbear, Gokul, Evo, MIH, Ivan, Tsu)

tribdog said:
All I ever get are dirty PMs, 1000s of them. But I won't mention any names (Moonbear, Gokul, Evo, MIH, Ivan, Tsu)

You want me to send you some too ? :!) :tongue2:

tribdog said:

But you never complain when I send you dirty PMs. In fact, those seem to be the only ones you reply to. :rofl:

Originally posted Curious3141:
Better than a birdie in the bush. :tongue2:
True, but it depends on whose birdie is in whose bush. :wink: :wink:

tumor said:
Grace ? if that small picture in upper right corner is really you,then you are :tongue2:

Mhhmmmm. :tongue2: