Looking for great books on mathematics (and physics)

In summary, I think that this book is a great starting point for someone who is new to math and physics.
abech92m
Hello everyone

I will be working half-time for the next year and I want to study lots of mathematics and some physics in my free time. I have a basic understanding of simple trigonometry, differential equations and integral models, but as you might expect I really am starting just from scratch! I have already searched for books but there seem to be way too many for me to decide which to choose. So my question is basically if you know of any great books or even book series of mathematics on basic and more advanced math?
I know math is complex and there is a lot to learn so i therefore expect to go through lots and lots of books and doing many problems. I am extremely motivated and I am ready to spend quiet some money on materials I just simply just don't know where to start...

Thank you in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang has the stamp of approval from MicroMass (a moderator here), and I can personally say that it's a great book that literally does what the title says... covers the basics of mathematics. It's also a great stepping stone to take before Calculus. You can probably find a used copy of it for $20 used on Amazon.

As far as Physics textbooks, I won't be of any help. Just use the search function in the toolbar up ahead and type in what you're looking for. You would be amazed at how many of these threads there are with situations eerily similar to your own.

Good luck!

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang has the stamp of approval from MicroMass (a moderator here), and I can personally say that it's a great book that literally does what the title says... covers the basics of mathematics. It's also a great stepping stone to take before Calculus. You can probably find a used copy of it for $20 used on Amazon.

As far as Physics textbooks, I won't be of any help. Just use the search function in the toolbar up ahead and type in what you're looking for. You would be amazed at how many of these threads there are with situations eerily similar to your own.

Good luck!

Thank you for your answer. I will look through the science book discussion thread and look up a review or two on the book you recommended me.

1. What are some must-read books on mathematics and physics?

Some popular books on mathematics and physics include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas Hofstadter, "The Code Book" by Simon Singh, and "The Man Who Loved Only Numbers" by Paul Hoffman.

2. Are there any beginner-friendly books on mathematics and physics?

Yes, there are several books that are aimed at beginners or those with a non-scientific background. Some examples include "Mathematics for the Nonmathematician" by Morris Kline, "Physics for Future Presidents" by Richard A. Muller, and "The Joy of x: A Guided Tour of Math, from One to Infinity" by Steven Strogatz.

3. What books cover advanced topics in mathematics and physics?

For readers looking for more advanced material, some recommended books are "The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe" by Roger Penrose, "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths.

4. Can you recommend any books that combine mathematics and physics?

Yes, there are several books that explore the intersection of mathematics and physics, including "The Music of the Primes: Searching to Solve the Greatest Mystery in Mathematics" by Marcus du Sautoy, "The Physics of Wall Street: A Brief History of Predicting the Unpredictable" by James Owen Weatherall, and "The Number Sense: How the Mind Creates Mathematics" by Stanislas Dehaene.

5. Are there any books on mathematics and physics that are written by famous scientists?

Yes, there are many books written by renowned scientists in the field of mathematics and physics. Some examples are "The Nature of Space and Time" by Stephen Hawking and Roger Penrose, "The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality" by Brian Greene, and "The Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow.