Heading towards what ? and when will reach the destination ?

• Thread starter Zubeen
  • Start date
In summary, time seems to move, but there is no destination. We are constantly "going towards the future", without a single final destination.
Zubeen
Heading towards what ? and when will reach the destination ?

We say that time doesn't moves because it's a coordinate but we move and it seems that time moves . OK granted , but where are we heading towards ? and even if we are heading toward something... what will happen if we'll reach the destination ??

Physics news on Phys.org

Motion is a change in distance during a change in time. We can say that other things "move" in the sense that they change by some amount during a duration of time, like the temperature is rising by 10 degrees per hour or it's raining at 1 inch per hour. But what would it mean to talk about the motion of time? The change in time during some period of time?

So I don't know what you are asking about.

ghwellsjr said:
Motion is a change in distance during a change in time. We can say that other things "move" in the sense that they change by some amount during a duration of time, like the temperature is rising by 10 degrees per hour or it's raining at 1 inch per hour. But what would it mean to talk about the motion of time? The change in time during some period of time?

So I don't know what you are asking about.

I am saying, that since time is a coordinate, just like the x,y and z axis and remains constant at a position in the space time (if we are perfectly still ) but to explain the fact that time appears to be moving, we say that we are actually moving with respect to stationary coordinate and hence time appears to be moving.
So my question is, where are we heading towards through our motion and what will happen if we reach that point ?

time t=0 is at the start of an event. Time t=t1 is the time of another event in same frame. The time difference between both events depends on your frame of reference and the frame speed difference between the rest frame of the events.

Time,x,y,z are all depending on your frame of reference and not pinpointed to some fixed frame.

Zubeen said:
I am saying, that since time is a coordinate, just like the x,y and z axis and remains constant at a position in the space time (if we are perfectly still ) but to explain the fact that time appears to be moving, we say that we are actually moving with respect to stationary coordinate and hence time appears to be moving.
So my question is, where are we heading towards through our motion and what will happen if we reach that point ?
You seem to adhere to the philosophical concept of "the flow of time". I would say that time is a measure of progress of physical processes and thus of change; we tend to measure "time" with things that move or at least, with things that change. Thus there is a conceptual link between motion and time. A "time coordinate" is simply a geometrical representation of that progress or change. We can interpret the time axis as representing a virtual constant speed particle trajectory along an axis, and which thus serves as a measure of "time". There is no destination, just continuation.

Last edited:

Zubeen said:
If there is some death of the universe (big crunch, big rip, whatever), we are "heading towards this".
If not, we are just constantly "going towards the future", without a single final destination.

harrylin said:
You seem to adhere to the philosophical concept of "the flow of time". I would say that time is a measure of progress of physical processes and thus of change; we tend to measure "time" with things that move or at least, with things that change. Thus there is a conceptual link between motion and time. A "time coordinate" is simply a geometrical representation of that progress or change. We can interpret the time axis as representing a virtual constant speed particle trajectory along an axis, and which thus serves as a measure of "time". There is no destination, just continuation.
Please just go on to this link
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=607128
and see the last answer ( my answer ) to the question ... its right ?

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of "Heading towards what?"

The phrase "heading towards what" refers to the direction or goal that someone or something is moving towards. It can also imply a sense of purpose or intention behind the movement.

2. How do you determine the destination that someone or something is heading towards?

The destination that someone or something is heading towards can be determined by various factors such as their current location, speed, and intended direction. It can also be determined by analyzing their actions and behaviors.

3. Is it possible to accurately predict when someone or something will reach their destination?

It is possible to make predictions about when someone or something will reach their destination by considering their current position, speed, and direction of movement. However, unforeseen circumstances can also affect the timing of reaching the destination.

4. Can the destination change while someone or something is heading towards it?

Yes, the destination can change while someone or something is heading towards it. This can happen due to various reasons such as a change in circumstances or a change in goals or intentions.

5. Is there a specific timeframe for reaching a destination?

The timeframe for reaching a destination can vary depending on the specific situation. It can be influenced by factors such as distance, speed, obstacles, and external factors. Therefore, there is no specific timeframe for reaching a destination, it can vary from situation to situation.