Jet Engine performance in Cold Weather

In summary: I would suggest to keep the technical part (formulas) and remove the conclusion, so people can understand it better.
ZoraxDoom
Hey guys.

I was studying up jet-engines and their performances with varying ambient temperatures and found myself stuck on something that is probably very trivial.

What I've read online and in my notes is all generally the same - that as temperature falls air density rises and as such more mass is pushed through the engine leading to better performances at the same power.

While the material I've been given to study from agrees with this, it also states that the Speed of Airflow through the engine is proportional to the square root of temperature.

So if we take Thrust as: Mass * (Jet Air Velocity - Aircraft Velocity), we can get:
Thurst = Density of Air * Area of Entry for air at engine inlet * Velocity of Aircraft * (Jet Air Velocity - Aircraft Velocity)
These two mean the same thing.

Now, the step between here and the formula I show next has not been explained, but I believe it goes along these lines - given that mass flow increases as pressure does, but decreases as temperature does, we can say that Mass is proportional to (Pressure/Temperature)

Thus, Thrust can be taken as proportional to (Pressure/Temperature) * (Square root of Temperature) * (Square root of Temperature).

Thus, the temperature term cancels out, and we see that Thrust produced by the engine is actually independent of the Temperature of the ambient air.

So I don't understand this - if the Thrust produced by the Engine is independent of the Temperature of the ambient air, then how does it give better performance at lower temperatures?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure exactly what situation you are talking about in your OP, but for "real" jet engines the thrust produced is limited by the maximum RPM of the compressors and turbines. The stress in the rotating parts increases with the RPM, and the RPM that causes the maximum permissible stress is (almost) independent of ambient temperature.

At the maximum RPM, cold air gives more mass flow, which let's you burn more fuel, and produces higher thrust.

Real life is not quite so simple of course. For example on some engine types on the Boeing 747, you can't actually reach the maximum permitted RPM in "cold" conditions at sea level when the aircraft speed is zero on the runway, because the engine inlets restrict and distort the airflow. You can only reach the maximum RPM and thrust as the aircraft speed increases during the takeoff roll. But that is not a big problem in practice, because you have much more thrust available taking off from sea level at Reykjavik in Iceland, compared with a hot day and a runway 9000 feet above sea level in Nairobi.

Zoraxdoom:

“Thus, Thrust can be taken as proportional to (Pressure/Temperature) * (Square root of Temperature) * (Square root of Temperature).”
Personally I think the conclusion is not very proper, because "Speed of Airflow through the engine is proportional to the square root of temperature." should has some premises and some limits, you might ignore the conditions.
for your advise

1. How does cold weather affect the performance of a jet engine?

Cold weather can negatively impact the performance of a jet engine in several ways. Firstly, cold air is denser than warm air, which means that the engine will have to work harder to draw in the same amount of air. This can result in reduced thrust and overall engine efficiency. Additionally, cold weather can cause ice buildup on the engine, which can affect the aerodynamics and cause damage to the engine components.

2. Can cold weather cause a jet engine to fail?

While cold weather can certainly contribute to engine malfunctions, it is not the sole cause of engine failure. A well-maintained and properly operated engine should be able to withstand cold temperatures without failing. However, extreme cold weather conditions, combined with other factors such as ice buildup or fuel contamination, can increase the likelihood of engine failure.

3. Are there any special precautions taken for jet engines in cold weather?

Yes, there are several precautions that are typically taken to ensure the safe operation of jet engines in cold weather. These include preheating the engine before starting it, using a different type of fuel that is less prone to freezing, and monitoring the engine closely for any signs of ice buildup or other issues. Pilots and ground crew also receive special training on operating and maintaining the engines in cold weather conditions.

4. How does altitude affect jet engine performance in cold weather?

At higher altitudes, the air is already colder and less dense, which can further decrease the engine's performance in cold weather. This is because the engine has less air to work with and must work even harder to maintain the necessary thrust. Additionally, the colder temperatures at higher altitudes can increase the risk of ice buildup on the engine.

5. Are there any advantages to flying a jet engine in cold weather?

While cold weather can present challenges for jet engine performance, there are also some potential advantages. For example, cold air is denser, which means that the engine can produce more power and thrust. This can be beneficial for takeoff and landing, as the engine can generate more lift and acceleration. Additionally, cold weather can also improve the fuel efficiency of the engine, as denser air requires less fuel to produce the same amount of thrust.