"Engine fuel consumption map" without the torque possible?

In summary, it is possible to estimate the power based on other values, like the speed of the car, the incline of the road, the density of air and some car-specific constants, but that will probably need experimental input.
joker1319
Hello,
I am currently facing a problem.
I'm on a project and trying to create an "engine fuel consumption map (engine torque / engine speed)" among other things. Unfortunately, the engine torque is not measured in my measurements. More specifically, the "actual engine - percent torque (OBD PID 98)" outputs only "-125".

Therefore, I wonder if it is possible to derive the torque (approximately) with the following information I have:
  • Velocity GPS km/h
  • Velocity ECU km/h
  • Engine Speed rpm
  • Ambient Temperature degC
  • Relative Humidity %
  • Ambient Pressure kPa
  • GPS Altitude m
  • Altitude Amb, Pressure m
  • Exhaust Temperature degC
  • Exhaust Mass Flow g/s
  • Exhaust Volume Flow (1atm 20degC) m3/s
  • Coolant Temperature degC
  • Intake Manif, Pressure Abs kPa
  • Intake Manif, Pressure Rel kPa
  • Intake Manif, Temperature degC
  • Oil Temperature degC
  • Throttle Position %
  • Intake Mass Flow g/s
  • OBD_Accelerator_Pedal_Position_D_(PID_73) %
  • OBD_Ambient_air_temperature_(PID_70) °C
  • OBD_Barometric_pressure_(PID_51) kPa
  • OBD_Calculated_engine_load_value_(PID_4) %
  • OBD_Commanded_throttle_actuator_(PID_76) %
  • OBD_Control_module_voltage_(PID_66) V
  • OBD_Relative_throttle_position_(PID_69) %
  • OBD_Run_time_since_engine_start_(PID_31) s
  • va m2/s3
  • va_pos m2/s3
  • Acceleration m/s²
  • m_CO2 g
  • m_CO g
  • m_NOx g
  • n_PN -
  • y_CO2 %
  • y_CO ppm
  • y_NO ppm
  • y_NO2 ppm
  • y_NOx ppm
  • y_O2 %
  • ndot_PN #/s
  • mdot_CO2 g/s
  • mdot_CO g/s
  • mdot_NO g/s
  • mdot_NO2 g/s
  • mdot_NOx g/s
  • mdot_O2 g/s

Some people claim that with the "OBD_Calculated_engine_load_value" somehow the engine torque can be derived. Unfortunately I have not yet found the formula of "Calculated_engine_load" which does not include the torque.

Engineering news on Phys.org
joker1319 said:
Unfortunately I have not yet found the formula of "Calculated_engine_load" which does not include the torque.
Huh? If you want to calculate torque you need a formula with torque in it.

Engine torque * engine rpm * 2 pi/minute = engine mechanical power
The 2 pi/minute is converting rpm to an angular velocity. You have rpm, if you have the mechanical power of the engine you get torque.

The problem is that the power of the car is not measured. It is only the power according to the vehicle documents known, but not the currentl power during the test.

What is OBD_Calculated_engine_load_value_(PID_4) then?

It is possible to estimate the power based on other values, like the speed of the car, the incline of the road, the density of air and some car-specific constants, but that will probably need experimental input.

CWatters said:
According to this..

http://obdcon.sourceforge.net/2010/06/about-pid-calculated-load-value/

It indicates the percentage of available peak torque.
1Wj900B.png

i know that it indicates the percentage of available peak torque...but when you look at the pic you will see that the correlation of them is pretty poor

Attachments

• 1Wj900B.png
    1Wj900B.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 513
Last edited by a moderator:

What is an engine fuel consumption map?

An engine fuel consumption map is a graph or table that shows the relationship between an engine's fuel consumption and its operating parameters, such as engine speed and load. It is used to determine the most efficient operating conditions for an engine.

How is an engine fuel consumption map created?

An engine fuel consumption map is created by measuring the fuel consumption of an engine at various operating conditions and plotting the results on a graph or table. The data is collected using specialized equipment, such as a dynamometer, and is typically generated by the engine manufacturer.

What factors affect an engine's fuel consumption?

An engine's fuel consumption is affected by a variety of factors, including engine speed, load, air-to-fuel ratio, and engine temperature. Other factors such as fuel type, engine design, and driving habits can also impact fuel consumption.

Why is it important to know an engine's fuel consumption map?

Knowing an engine's fuel consumption map is important for optimizing engine performance and fuel efficiency. It can also help engineers design more efficient engines and allow drivers to operate their vehicles in the most efficient manner.

What is the relationship between torque and fuel consumption?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force produced by an engine. In general, higher torque levels require more fuel to maintain, which can result in higher fuel consumption. However, the specific relationship between torque and fuel consumption varies depending on the engine design and operating conditions.