Is there a strategy for combining the German tank and secretary problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a combined problem involving the German tank problem and the secretary problem, where the goal is to estimate the highest serial number or achieve the highest average serial number. The distribution of serial numbers can be either uniform or normal. The conversation also mentions a survey article from 1983 that may provide more information on this problem.
Gerenuk
Is it possible to give a strategy for the combined problem of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_tank_problem
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_problem

So I'm observing tanks with serial numbers and I'm allowed only the keep the last one. I also don't know how many there are in total. My task is to (increase change of getting the highest number) or (achieve the highest average serial number on the tank I'm keeping). The distribution of serial numbers is uniform. Another case would be if it's normal.

Basically it is the secretary problem with an unknown number of applicants, but moreover this unknown number if applicants has to be estimated given the observed incoming samples. The assumed distribution of all samples could be uniform or maybe also normal.

Has anyone heard of an article where this problem is considered? Or how do I find such an article?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gerenuk said:
Basically it is the secretary problem with an unknown number of applicants

Interesting problem. Have you tried the survey article that was listed in the wikipedia article references? It's from 1983 but might say if the same problem is solved under a different name.

Also, how could serial numbers be drawn from the normal distribution?

bpet said:
Also, how could serial numbers be drawn from the normal distribution?
Actually I meant this as two different cases. Serial numbers from a uniform distribution. And on the other hand some other cardinal value from a normal distribution like the height of people (with apriori unknown mean height).

I just downloaded the survey article. Hope I find some time to go through it soon.

1. What is a "Secretary in a German tank"?

A "Secretary in a German tank" refers to the role of a female assistant or administrative staff member who worked in a German tank during World War II.

2. What were the responsibilities of a Secretary in a German tank?

The responsibilities of a Secretary in a German tank included keeping records, typing reports and documents, and assisting with administrative tasks such as scheduling and communication.

3. How did women become Secretary in a German tank?

During World War II, many women were recruited to take on roles traditionally held by men, including administrative roles in the military. Women who had experience in secretarial work or were trained in clerical duties were often chosen for these positions.

4. Did Secretary in a German tank play a significant role in the war?

While their contributions may not have been as visible as those of soldiers on the front lines, Secretary in a German tank played a crucial role in the war effort. They helped keep communication and administrative tasks running smoothly, allowing for efficient operations and decision-making within the German military.

5. Are there any notable examples of Secretary in a German tank?

One notable example is Traudl Junge, who served as Adolf Hitler's personal secretary from 1942 until the end of the war. She later wrote about her experiences in her memoir, "Until the Final Hour: Hitler's Last Secretary."