What is the need of non-physics sub-forums

• Complaint
  • Thread starter issacnewton
  • Start date
In summary, some folks involved in mathematics and physics have interests other than math and physics. It generates traffic and revenue, and pays the bills. Some folks have interests besides math and physics. It is a tendency to focus on a desired science, but that doesn't mean s/he shouldn't keep up with everything and learn.
issacnewton
Hi

i see that there are lot of other discussions besides physics. maths is required but why waste
bandwidth on other sciences and even non science related discussion. let's keep focussed
on physics and maths...

Newton

Physics news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:
Hi

i see that there are lot of other discussions besides physics. maths is required but why waste
bandwidth on other sciences and even non science related discussion. let's keep focussed
on physics and maths...

Newton
Some folks involved in mathematics and physics have interests other than math and physics, and some have interests besides math and physics. It generates traffic and revenue, and pays the bills.

i see...

Greg Bernhardt said:
Who is to say what is and what is not required?

You :biggrin:

Hahaaa.

Besides what Astro has mentioned, it's of use to know bits and pieces of every knowledge [you will never conquer full knowledge of one science, and I suppose you would look stupid if you know absolutely nothing at all in any other fields! No offence. :biggrin: o:)]

I guess it's a tendency to Pile Higher and Deeper, omitting to glance in the holes and on the ivory towers of the neighbor piler :uhh: Maybe a lot of fictitious hypotheses could have been prevented from being generated if only people had peeped a bit over the rim of their own holes a little bit.

Sure! My statement never contradicts yours Andre. One can focus on a desired science, but that doesn't mean s/he shouldn't keep up with everything and learn. IMO, and aside from increasing one's awareness, it could help enhance the life of an individual or prevent a possible damage.

Evo needs something to do. :tongue:

We need to see Greg's travel pictures, and Andre's. And Andre and Borek's insects and flowers. Some people love to cook and garden, and some people love to play games with other members. Greg has created a very comfortable home here, with dens, living rooms, art exhibits, kitchens, music rooms, hot tubs (thanks MIH)... a site with lots of variety and chances for social interaction with other people who probably were initially drawn here by a love of science and math.

I think we're OK. Please become a member, OP, and contribute to this wonderful place. Some day, you'll need a place to decompress and chill, and you'll appreciate the broad range of sub-forums.

Where else could us nerds get together? And be excepted?

I strongly believe there is no community without chit chat. And what makes PF so strong, is its community.

dlgoff said:
Where else could us nerds get together? And be excepted?

Be excepted? :biggrin: Was that Freudian?

(Sorry, I'm a word nerd. I couldn't help myself.)

Astronuc said:
Some folks involved in mathematics and physics have interests other than math and physics, and some have interests besides math and physics. It generates traffic and revenue, and pays the bills.

I would hope that all scientists and mathematicians have interests besides math and physics. Othewise we would have a forum full of very poorly adjusted people. :biggrin:

IssacNewton said:
Hi

on physics and maths...

Newton
Ironically, one need for a non-physics/non-math subforum is to have a place to post criticisms and suggestions like the one that started this thread.

GeorginaS said:
(Sorry, I'm a word nerd. I couldn't help myself.)
I can except that. BTW I'm a non-spelling nerd.

dlgoff said:
I can except that. BTW I'm a non-spelling nerd.

I take acception to that.

1. What is the purpose of having non-physics sub-forums?

The purpose of having non-physics sub-forums is to provide a platform for discussions and sharing of information related to other scientific fields. This allows for a diverse range of scientific topics to be explored and for individuals with different interests to engage in discussions and exchange knowledge.

2. Why not just have one general science forum?

Having separate sub-forums for different scientific fields allows for more organized and focused discussions. It also makes it easier for individuals to navigate and find information related to specific topics that interest them.

3. How does having non-physics sub-forums benefit the community?

Having non-physics sub-forums benefits the community by promoting the sharing of knowledge and ideas across different scientific disciplines. It also allows for individuals to learn about and explore new areas of science that they may not have been exposed to before.

4. Are non-physics sub-forums limited to only scientific topics?

No, non-physics sub-forums are not limited to only scientific topics. They can also include discussions and information related to technology, engineering, and mathematics. This allows for a more comprehensive and well-rounded understanding of different fields of science and their interconnectedness.

5. How can I contribute to the non-physics sub-forums?

You can contribute to the non-physics sub-forums by actively participating in discussions, sharing your knowledge and expertise, and asking questions. Your contributions can help foster a vibrant and diverse community of scientists and science enthusiasts.