Simple Pendulum Problem this one's kinda tough

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an equation to calculate the period of a simple pendulum, which is represented by 2π√(L/g). The period is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full cycle and the time it takes to reach its maximum speed is one quarter of the period. The speed can be calculated using the equation V = Aω, where A is the amplitude and ω is the angular speed.
cheechnchong
A simple Pendulum is made from a 0.65-m-long string and a small ball attached to its free end. The ball is pulled to one side through a small angle and then released from rest. After the ball is released, how much time elapses before it attains its greatest speed?

My Approach:

I used this equation: 2(3.14 or pi)(frequency) = sq(g/L)

2(3.14)f = sq(9.81 m/s^2/0.65m)

f= 0.618 s-1

THEN,

i found the Period, T.

T = 1/0.618 = 1.62 s

^^answer is not quite there...doesn't correspond with book answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Think it through again. What exactly does the period 2 Pi Sqrt(L/g) represent? When does the ball attain its greatest speed?

radou said:
Think it through again. What exactly does the period 2 Pi Sqrt(L/g) represent? When does the ball attain its greatest speed?

^^^V = Amplitude x Angular Speed ? how do i get the Amplitude if that is the case?

^^^bump...

I had the same problem on an assignment. You are right to calculate the period but you have to figure out when V max is first reached. If the period is the time it takes to move through one whole cycle then the time it takes to reach position zero at first must be one quarter of that time

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is an idealized system consisting of a mass (known as a bob) suspended by a string or rod from a fixed point. Its motion is governed by the laws of physics, specifically the law of conservation of energy.

2. How is the period of a simple pendulum calculated?

The period of a simple pendulum is calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the string in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

3. Can the length of the string affect the period of a simple pendulum?

Yes, the period of a simple pendulum is directly proportional to the length of the string. This means that a longer string will result in a longer period and a shorter string will result in a shorter period.

4. How does the mass of the bob affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The mass of the bob does not affect the period of a simple pendulum. This is because the period only depends on the length of the string and the acceleration due to gravity, not on the mass of the bob.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of a simple pendulum?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of a simple pendulum, including air resistance, friction at the pivot point, and the amplitude of the swing. These factors can cause the pendulum to deviate from its expected period and can be minimized by conducting the experiment in a controlled environment.