Time to Reach Highest Speed of Simple Pendulum

In summary, the time it takes for a pendulum bob to reach its highest speed is 0.256 seconds and it does not change according to the angle of release. This is because the small-angle approximation only works for small angles, and anything larger will not result in harmonic oscillation and a fixed period.
zippeh

Homework Statement

You pull a simple pendulum of length 0.260m to the side through an angle of 3.50∘ and release it.

Part A:
How much time does it take the pendulum bob to reach its highest speed?

Part B:
How much time does it take if the pendulum is released at an angle of 1.75∘ instead of 3.50∘?

Homework Equations

T=2π√(m/k)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the correct answer of t = 0.256s, but I do not understand why it doesn't change according to the change in the angle. Our masterphysics homework site has a online app that allows us to work with a simple pendulum. When I change the angle (lets say from 1° to 90°), I get different values that it takes to reach the very bottom (0°). This position in the pendulum will be the position of greatest velocity because there is no potential energy. Can someone explain what I am missing here? Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the angle is just 3.5 degrees, you can make a small-angle approximation which works pretty well. It is only in this approximation the pendulum will perform harmonic oscillation and thus have a fixed period. A right angle is by no means small and you therefore cannot make the small angle approximation for that case (or for any large initial angles).

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that is free to swing back and forth. It is a classic example of periodic motion in physics.

2. How is the period of a simple pendulum related to its length?

The period of a simple pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of its length. This means that longer pendulums have longer periods, while shorter pendulums have shorter periods.

3. What factors affect the speed of a simple pendulum?

The speed of a simple pendulum is affected by its length, mass, and the acceleration due to gravity. The longer the pendulum, the slower the speed; the heavier the mass, the slower the speed; and the stronger the gravitational pull, the faster the speed.

4. How can we calculate the speed of a simple pendulum?

The speed of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the formula v = √(g x L), where v is the speed in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and L is the length of the pendulum in meters.

5. What is the relationship between the amplitude and speed of a simple pendulum?

The amplitude, or the maximum angle of swing, does not affect the speed of a simple pendulum. As long as the amplitude is small (less than 10 degrees), the speed will remain constant regardless of the angle of swing.