Calculating Drag Racing Vehicle Launch Force

In summary, when a driver drops the clutch in a vehicle, they need to take into account the following factors to calculate the force acting on the vehicle: width of the slicks, inflation pressure of the slicks (which controls the size of the tire-contact patch), front-to-rear weight distribution, extension/compression ratio of the front shocks, and current speed of the vehicle.
Karottop
hi,
I am currently building a drag racing game and I am wanting it to be as physically accurate as possible. my question is, when a driver drops the clutch in a vehicle what needs to be taken into account to calculate the force acting on the vehicle while the wheels are spinning? is it possible to come up with a general formula?

so far I've got
the c/f of the tyres
size of tyres
speed wheels are spinning
weight of vehicle
maybe current speed of vehicle will need to be taken into account?
I want to get the forward force acting on the vehicle

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's a LOT more complex than you expect. Width of the slicks, inflation pressure of the slicks (which controls the size of the tire-contact patch), front-to-rear weight distribution, extension/compression ratio of the front shocks... Good drag-racers have to be fanatical about the details and be willing to change stuff on the fly to compensate for local temperatures, track traction compounds, etc, etc.

"Dropping the clutch" is done by on many street cars where the clutches have limited dynamic friction, usually by design to reduce shock to the drive train. The car ends up launching better, or at least more consistently, by spinning the tires, rather than slipping the clutch. Then the trick is to find what initial rpm produces the best launch.

Cars modified for drag racing have clutches with high dynamic friction, and in this case it's bettter to slip the clutch than the tires. At the high end of drag racing cars, alcohol and nitro-methane buring drag cars, the clutches are mechanically programmed via weight and springs to optimized clutch slippage for maximum acceleration without spinnning the tires, so although the driver just drops the clutch, the clutch self regulates it's slippage.

For a drag racing game, it would be difficult to model a drag racing clutch where the driver modulates clutch pressure to control acceleration.

The other situation where dropping the clutch is done is high end road racing cars. These have clutches with high amounts of static friction, that they are amost all or nothing clutches. In addition there's little angular inertia in the engines (Formula 1 cars have 4 lb "flywheels" to allow fast shifting), so the clutched is dropped at high rpms to prevent engine stalling when exiting the pits.

I'm not trying to model top fuel type dragsters more like tuned street cars. the main focus of the game is a much more complicated tuning 'engine' where instead of clicking "turbo upgrade" the player can choose exhaust sizes, turbo sizes, a/f ratio, timing advance, boost control method, etc. I am currently training to become a software engineer and once I get better I want to turn it into a 3d game so both tyre and clutch slippage will eventually be modeled. I'm not looking for formulas with NASA type accuracy but I want something that will be competitive in the market

1. What is drag racing vehicle launch force?

Drag racing vehicle launch force is the amount of force exerted on a vehicle as it accelerates from a stationary position to its maximum speed. It is an important factor in determining the performance and speed of a drag racing vehicle.

2. How is drag racing vehicle launch force calculated?

The formula for calculating drag racing vehicle launch force is: F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the vehicle, and a is the acceleration. This formula can be used to calculate the launch force at any point during the race, as long as the mass and acceleration are known.

3. What factors affect drag racing vehicle launch force?

The main factors that affect drag racing vehicle launch force are the weight of the vehicle, the amount of traction or grip on the race track, and the power and torque of the engine. Other factors such as air resistance and track conditions can also play a role.

4. Can launch force be increased in a drag racing vehicle?

Yes, there are several ways to increase launch force in a drag racing vehicle. This can include upgrading the engine to increase power and torque, reducing the weight of the vehicle, and using tires with better traction. Proper tuning and maintenance of the vehicle can also improve launch force.

5. How important is launch force in a drag racing competition?

Launch force is extremely important in a drag racing competition as it determines how quickly a vehicle can reach its maximum speed and how well it will perform in the race. A higher launch force can give a vehicle an advantage over its competitors and can ultimately determine the winner of the race.