Turning down an opportunity because you feel you aren't qualified

• Thread starter Dishsoap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turning
In summary, the conversation discusses the struggles of starting an internship at a national lab, including difficulties with understanding complex documentation and feeling inadequate. It emphasizes the importance of using the advisor for guidance and not being afraid to ask for help. It also reassures the individual that their feelings are normal and that the main purpose of the internship is to benefit the intern. The conversation concludes by sharing a personal experience and highlighting the value of perseverance and learning through challenges.
Dishsoap
Hey all,

I've been accepted to an awesome internship at a national lab this summer. The funding is excellent, the location is close, and my mentor seems excited for me to get started.

He recently sent me a lot of documentation detailing the project and the instruments I'll be working with. Not only do I have virtually no experience with experimental physics, though, but I can't seem to make heads or tails out of the documents. He said that he is more than happy to answer any questions I may have, however I can't even make out enough of the documentation (papers on the subject, technical specifications of instruments, etc.) in order to ask intelligible questions.

Although my professors who helped me apply to the program wrote outstanding recommendations, I'm beginning to wonder if maybe they were a little bit too outstanding and that I'm way out of my league here.

I realize that this is an internship for undergraduates and that it will definitely be a learning experience, and that they knew that when they took me on. However, I can't help but feel as though I will slow them down tremendously and be completely useless in the meantime. I am very excited to take this position, but I honestly can't help but feel like there might be someone more well-suited for the job.

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're new to this, then it's absolutely normal to struggle. If you don't struggle, then you're doing things that are too easy.

Everybody who starts with research or an internship will struggle in the beginning. You typically get a lot of documentation and papers to work through. This is very daunting at first. Especially since it can happen that to understand the first sentence in a paper, you need to work through three other papers first. This first stage of research is incredibly soul-crushing and depressing. But you should know that you are not the only one who feels like this. Virtually everybody who ever did research had this moment.

One thing I cannot stress enough is to use your advisor to your advantage. Don't be too proud to ask for help if you really don't progress (this doesn't mean you should bother him every instance you don't understand something, think about it yourself first).
So you should really talk to your advisor about this. Tell him that you have no experience with experimental physics and that you find the documentation too difficult (and of course say exactly what is bothering you). If the advisor is any good, he will give you suggestions to bridge the knowledge gap (and those suggestions will probably exist out of more documentation).

Also, don't hesitate to talk to your advisor about feeling inadequate and about slowing them down. Your advisor isn't only there to help you with research, but also with things like that.

I'll say it again however: what you're feeling now is very normal. Everybody into research felt it one way or another. Some people severely dislike this feeling and drop out. Other people choose to fight and eventually bridge the knowledge gap and do adequate research. I don't judge either side, research is not for everybody and if you don't like the research then that doesn't mean you're dumb. But it would certainly be a shame to drop out now because you just started.

TLDR: talk to your advisor.

An organization like a national lab will have had plenty of interns before you, and will have a realistic expectation about what an intern is likely to contribute to the program. The main point of an internship is to benefit you, not for you to solve one of the world's unanswered questions about physics.

On the other hand, they are not going to try to limit what you can contribute by spoon feeding you or withholding information. Just keep calm and let the stuff you have received "soak in" gradually. Experimental work usually makes more sense when you can actually see and touch what you are working with.

What you are feeling is completely normal.

I remember the first time I got my feet wet in experimental research. I was taken into a professor's lab and sat in front of a wall of electronics/circuits/logic boards with a big box of cables and hardware documentation and a low strength positron emitter and was told to set up the electronics for energy-discriminating coincident detection of positronium decay photons using photomultiplier tubes, and then fine tune some workbench software for processing the measurements.

I had no idea how to use a linux-based operating system and all of the software on the computer I was given was linux-based. I had no idea what FORTRAN was and the software was written in and had to be edited using FORTRAN. I had no idea how a photomultiplier tube worked, let alone how to work out the electronics required for getting a bunch of them to talk to each other. I had no idea at any point during the first 3 months whether or not I was even making any progress.

It definitely felt like I was drowning for the longest time, but I chipped away at my lack of understanding piece by piece and came out the other end a better physicist for going through it.

My professor wanted the research to be done as the leg-work for starting a new experiment in data analysis for undergraduates in our atomic physics lab. He had an idea of how to accomplish it the entire time, but left me to sort it out on my own while he was available to guide me whenever I got too lost.

I suspect you will have similar guidance available to you during your internship.

I understand the hesitation and self-doubt that comes with feeling underqualified for a new opportunity. However, I would encourage you to not let these doubts hold you back from pursuing this internship. You were chosen for this position based on your qualifications and impressive recommendations from your professors. Your mentor is also willing to answer any questions you may have, showing that they have confidence in your ability to learn and succeed in this role.

Remember that every scientist starts somewhere and it is normal to feel overwhelmed when presented with new information and instruments. This internship is a valuable opportunity for you to gain hands-on experience and expand your knowledge in experimental physics. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek guidance from your mentor and colleagues. They are there to support and guide you, not to judge or criticize you for not knowing everything right away.

Furthermore, keep in mind that mistakes and setbacks are a natural part of the learning process. It is through these challenges that we grow and improve. Don't let the fear of making mistakes hold you back from taking on this opportunity. Embrace the learning curve and trust in your abilities and potential.

In conclusion, I would encourage you to push past your doubts and take on this internship with enthusiasm and determination. You were chosen for a reason, and I have no doubt that you will rise to the challenge and make the most out of this experience. Good luck!

What do I do if I feel like I am not qualified for an opportunity?

If you feel like you are not qualified for an opportunity, it is important to assess the situation and your own capabilities. Consider the specific requirements and responsibilities of the opportunity and compare them to your own skills and experience. If you truly do not meet the qualifications, it may be best to politely decline the opportunity and focus on areas where you feel more confident and qualified.

Why is it important to turn down opportunities if I feel unqualified?

Turning down opportunities that you feel unqualified for is important for several reasons. First, it allows you to be honest with yourself and others about your abilities, which can help you avoid taking on tasks that are beyond your capabilities. Second, it shows respect for the opportunity and the people involved, as you are not wasting their time or resources by accepting something you cannot handle. Lastly, it allows you to focus on areas where you are truly qualified and can excel.

How can I turn down an opportunity without damaging my professional reputation?

Turning down an opportunity can be a delicate situation, as you want to maintain a positive and professional reputation. It is important to be honest and polite when declining the opportunity, and to thank the person for considering you. You can also offer to help in other ways, such as providing recommendations or referrals for someone who may be better suited for the opportunity.

What if I regret turning down an opportunity later on?

It is natural to have second thoughts or regrets about turning down an opportunity, especially if it seemed promising at the time. However, it is important to remember that you made the decision based on your own assessment of your qualifications and capabilities. If you do end up regretting your decision, you can always reach out to the person who offered you the opportunity and express your interest for future opportunities.

How can I build my qualifications for similar opportunities in the future?

If you feel like you are not qualified for an opportunity, it is important to use it as a learning experience and find ways to improve your skills and qualifications for similar opportunities in the future. This can include seeking out additional education or training, gaining experience through internships or volunteering, and networking with professionals in your field. It is also important to regularly assess and update your skills to stay competitive in your field.