Calculating Cable Turns for a Job

In summary, the conversation is about a math problem involving a reel of cable with a diameter of 60 inches and a job that requires 314 feet of cable. The goal is to find how many turns of cable should be taken off the reel. The answer is 20 turns, and the solution involves using the circumference formula and keeping track of units in calculations.
Brian82784
Hello,

I'm trying to help my kiddo with some math, and unfortunately this is stumping me.

A full reel of cable has a diameter of 60 inches. A job requires 314 feet of cable. How many turns of cable should be taken off the the reel?

The answer is 20 turns, but I can't seem to figure out how to get to that answer.

60 inches = 5ft
60 diameter = 188.5 circumference

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Our schoolwork rules require that you show as much work as you can on schoolwork questions. If the wire removed from the spool all has the same diameter, how many circumferences (turns) does it take to add up to 314 feet?

One hint that I think we can already give is that it looks like the 314 ft is designed to cancel out something. So it might not be good to multiply out the 60*3.14 = 188.4. Let things cancel.

Likes scottdave
5 * 3.14 = 15.70
15.70 * 20 =314

Brian82784 said:
5 * 3.14 = 15.70
15.70 * 20 =314
It's good technique to carry units along in your calculations. It helps you avoid mistakes, and helps us understand what you are doing. :wink:

Likes scottdave and FactChecker
Brian82784 said:
60 diameter = 188.5 circumference
The units above are inches -- you are asked to find how many turns to make 314 feet. By happy coincidence, 314 feet is approximately equal to 100##\pi##.
berkeman said:
It's good technique to carry units along in your calculations. It helps you avoid mistakes, and helps us understand what you are doing.
+1

Likes PhDeezNutz and jim mcnamara

1. How do I calculate the number of cable turns needed for a job?

To calculate the number of cable turns needed for a job, you will need to know the length of the cable, the diameter of the cable, and the diameter of the spool or drum that the cable will be wound on. You can then use the formula: Number of turns = (Cable length x 12) / (3.14 x Cable diameter x Spool diameter).

2. What is the purpose of calculating cable turns?

Calculating cable turns is important for determining the amount of cable needed for a job and ensuring that the cable is wound properly on the spool or drum. This helps prevent tangling and damage to the cable during installation.

3. Can I use a general formula for calculating cable turns for any type of cable?

No, the formula for calculating cable turns may vary depending on the type of cable being used. For example, a thicker or stiffer cable may require more turns to prevent tangling, while a more flexible cable may require fewer turns.

4. How do I know if I have calculated the correct number of cable turns?

You can check the accuracy of your calculations by measuring the length of the cable after it has been wound on the spool or drum. If the measured length matches the calculated length, then you have calculated the correct number of cable turns.

5. Are there any other factors I should consider when calculating cable turns?

In addition to the cable length, diameter, and spool diameter, you may also need to consider the tension and weight of the cable. These factors can affect the number of turns needed and should be taken into account for more accurate calculations.