Doppler shifted blackbody spectrum

In summary, we can determine the temperature of a star by fitting a black body spectrum, even if the star is moving with a radial velocity. However, it is more accurate to measure the strength of specific spectral lines, which can provide more information about the temperature of the star. There may also be phase information in the spectral lines, but this is not commonly used.
E92M3
You can know the temperature of a star by fitting a black body spectrum. BUt what if the star is moving with some radial velocity v? I worked out that:

[tex]I(\lambda_0,T)=\frac{8\pi h c}{\lambda_0^5}\frac{1}{e^{\frac{hc}{\lambda_0kT}}-1}[/tex]
[tex]\lambda=\lambda_0\sqrt{\frac{1+\frac{v}{c}}{1-\frac{v}{c}}}[/tex]
[tex]I(\lambda,T)=I(\lambda_0,T)\frac{d\lambda_0}{d\lambda}[/tex]

[tex]I(\lambda,T)=\frac{8\pi h c}{\lambda^5}\frac{1}{e^{\frac{hc}{\lambda kT} \sqrt{\frac{1+\frac{v}{c}}{1-\frac{v}{c}}}}-1}[/tex]
[tex]=I(\lambda,T')[/tex]

where [tex]T'=T\sqrt{\frac{1-\frac{v}{c}}{1+\frac{v}{c}}}}[/tex]

Am I correct here? If so, how can we actually tell the temperature of stars?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What is [itex]T/T'[/itex] for typical star speeds relative to us?

[edit]Also, can't spectroscopic analysis give the amount of the Doppler shift?[/edit]

Last edited:
E92M3 said:
You can know the temperature of a star by fitting a black body spectrum. BUt what if the star is moving with some radial velocity v? I worked out that:

[tex]I(\lambda_0,T)=\frac{8\pi h c}{\lambda_0^5}\frac{1}{e^{\frac{hc}{\lambda_0kT}}-1}[/tex]
[tex]\lambda=\lambda_0\sqrt{\frac{1+\frac{v}{c}}{1-\frac{v}{c}}}[/tex]
[tex]I(\lambda,T)=I(\lambda_0,T)\frac{d\lambda_0}{d\lambda}[/tex]

[tex]I(\lambda,T)=\frac{8\pi h c}{\lambda^5}\frac{1}{e^{\frac{hc}{\lambda kT} \sqrt{\frac{1+\frac{v}{c}}{1-\frac{v}{c}}}}-1}[/tex]
[tex]=I(\lambda,T')[/tex]

where [tex]T'=T\sqrt{\frac{1-\frac{v}{c}}{1+\frac{v}{c}}}}[/tex]
That is an interesting idea. I don't think your third and fourth steps are correct, but I wonder if your basic premise is correct that a Doppler-shifted blackbody spectrum is itself a blackbody spectrum. It might be right.

E92M3 said:
Am I correct here? If so, how can we actually tell the temperature of stars?
Stars are not perfect blackbodies, they have characteristic emission spectra peaks on top of the blackbody spectrum. We can use the emission peaks to determine the Doppler shift. Then we can look at the Doppler-corrected blackbody portion of the spectrum to determine the temperature.

DaleSpam said:
That is an interesting idea. I don't think your third and fourth steps are correct, but I wonder if your basic premise is correct that a Doppler-shifted blackbody spectrum is itself a blackbody spectrum. It might be right.

The wikipedia article for "Black body" mentions that you have to do a solid angle correction.

Doppler-shifted blackbody spectrums are blackbodies, that's how we can talk about 3 kelvin background radiation. I vaguely remember a thermodynamic argument why a blackbody in one reference frame must be a black body in all reference frames.

Then we can look at the Doppler-corrected blackbody portion of the spectrum to determine the temperature.

To get precision measurements of stellar temperatures, people don't fit black body curves. What people do is to look at the strength of specific spectral lines and those change in very strong ways with respect to temperature.

twofish-quant said:
To get precision measurements of stellar temperatures, people don't fit black body curves. What people do is to look at the strength of specific spectral lines and those change in very strong ways with respect to temperature.
That is interesting and it makes sense. The sharp spectral peaks are always going to be more reliable to measure than the rather broad blackbody spectrum. I was only thinking about measuring their frequency, but there is certainly additional information in their amplitude too.

Do you know if there is any phase information, or are the spectral lines incoherent?

DaleSpam said:
I was only thinking about measuring their frequency, but there is certainly additional information in their amplitude too.

There's *tons* of information in spectral lines.

Do you know if there is any phase information, or are the spectral lines incoherent?

I know that there is phase information in the general output of stars which is important with things like supernova. I don't know off hand if people use this for spectral lines.

Related to Doppler shifted blackbody spectrum

What is a Doppler shifted blackbody spectrum?

A Doppler shifted blackbody spectrum is a graph that shows the intensity of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a blackbody (an object that absorbs all radiation) at different wavelengths. The spectrum is shifted due to the Doppler effect, which is the change in wavelength of radiation caused by the relative motion between the source and observer.

What causes the Doppler shift in a blackbody spectrum?

The Doppler shift in a blackbody spectrum is caused by the relative motion between the source of radiation and the observer. If the source is moving towards the observer, the wavelength of the emitted radiation will appear shorter (blueshift). If the source is moving away from the observer, the wavelength will appear longer (redshift).

How is a Doppler shifted blackbody spectrum useful in scientific research?

Doppler shifted blackbody spectra are useful in determining the velocity and direction of objects in space. By analyzing the amount of shift in the spectrum, scientists can calculate the speed and direction of celestial objects, such as stars and galaxies.

Can Doppler shifted blackbody spectra be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Doppler effect can be observed in everyday life. For example, the sound of a passing ambulance will appear to change in pitch as it approaches and then moves away from the observer. This is due to the Doppler shift in sound waves. Similarly, the Doppler shift can be observed in light emitted by moving objects, resulting in a shifted blackbody spectrum.

What other factors can affect a Doppler shifted blackbody spectrum?

Apart from the Doppler effect, other factors that can affect a Doppler shifted blackbody spectrum include the temperature and composition of the emitting object. A higher temperature will result in a higher intensity of radiation at all wavelengths, while the composition of the emitting object can affect the specific wavelengths at which the intensity is highest.