Superposition of two one-dimensional harmonic waves

In summary: I suggested in post #11.You don't need all this. You already had the formula for the sum in post #1. All you had to do was to identify the amplitude and the maximum amplitude, as I suggested in post #11.Oh I see. So for part c) the answer would be ##x_{max_{2}}=0## and ##A_{max} = 7cm##?In summary, the superposition of two one-dimensional harmonic waves with equations ##s_1(x,t) = 3.5 cm \cdot cos(27.5s^{-1} \cdot t - 5.65m^{-1} \cdot x)## and ##s
orangephysik
Homework Statement
(See below)
Relevant Equations
(See below)
##\mathbf {Homework ~Statement:}##
Consider the superposition of two one-dimensional harmonic waves
$$s_1(x,t)=3.5 cm \cdot cos(27.5s^{-1} \cdot t - 5.65m^{-1} \cdot x)$$
$$s_2(x,t)=3.5 cm \cdot cos(27.5s^{-1} \cdot t - 5.5m^{-1} \cdot x)$$

##\mathbf {a)}## Calculate the wavelength ##\lambda##, the propagation speed ##v## and the period ##T## for both waves
##\mathbf {b)}## Calculate the superposition ##s(x,t)## of both waves
##\mathbf {c)}## For which ##x_{max}## will the amplitude be a maximum? What are these values?

##\mathbf {Relevant ~Equation:}##
##cos(\alpha)+cos(\beta) = 2 \cdot cos(\frac{\alpha + \beta}{2}) \cdot cos(\frac{\alpha - \beta}{2})##

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
##\mathbf {Attempt ~at~ a ~Solution:}##
##\mathbf {a)}## Well the equations are in the form of ##u(x,t) = a \cdot cos(\omega t \mp kx)##,
whereby ##|k| = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda} = \frac{\omega}{v}##
and ##\omega = 2\pi f=\frac{2\pi}{T}##

I get
##\lambda####v####T##
##s_1(x,t)####1.11m####4.86 m/s####0.228 s##
##s_2(x,t)####1.14m####4.99 m/s####0.228 s##

##\mathbf {b)}## Using the relevant equation I got
##s_1 + s_2 =## ## 7 cm \cdot cos(\frac{55s^{-1}\cdot t-11.15 m^{-1}\cdot x}{2})cos(0.075)##

##\mathbf {c)}## I considered the case for ##cos(0)=cos(\pi)=1##
and got
##x=\frac{55s^{-1}\cdot t}{11.15 m^{-1}}##
and
##x=-\frac{2\pi - 55s^{-1}\cdot t}{11.15 m^{-1}}##
and so the maximum amplitude would then be
##x_{max}=\pm 7cm\cdot cos(0.075)##

Are my solutions correct? I remember for part (a) I got 0 points in the exam. I don't know what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your part a answers look fine to me.
In part b,
orangephysik said:
##\cos(0.075)##
Did you forget something ?

haruspex said:
Your part a answers look fine to me.
In part b,

Did you forget something ?
Oh right, that should be ##cos(0.075 m^{-1} \cdot x)## . I forgot the units.
So ##s_{1} + s_{2} =7 cm \cdot cos(\frac{55s^{-1}\cdot t-11.15 m^{-1}\cdot x}{2})cos(0.075m^{-1} \cdot x)##
and so the maximum would be at when ##cos(0)=1##. I get ##x_{max_{1}} = \frac{55s^{-1}\cdot t}{11.15 m}## and ##x_{max_{2}} =0##
which means the values of the maximum amplitude would then be
##7 cm \cdot cos(0.37s^{-1} \cdot t)## for ##x_{max_{1}}##
##7 cm \cdot cos(27.5s^{-1}\cdot t)## for ##x_{max_{2}}##
Since the second value is greater, then only. ##x_{max_{2}} =0## ?
(I omitted the case for ##cos(\pi)=-1## since this would give amplitudes of the same magnitude, but only with a minus sign at the front)

The amplitude is not time dependent. It should be a fixed value for a given position, x.
Everything that multiplies the time dependent term is the amplitude.

nasu said:
The amplitude is not time dependent. It should be a fixed value for a given position, x.
Everything that multiplies the time dependent term is the amplitude.
Oh right.

So
##s_{1} + s_{2} =7 cm \cdot cos(\frac{55s^{-1}\cdot t-11.15 m^{-1}\cdot x}{2})cos(0.075m^{-1} \cdot x)##
⇔##s_{1} + s_{2} =7 cm \cdot cos(27.5s^{-1}\cdot t-5.575 m^{-1}\cdot x)cos(0.075m^{-1} \cdot x)##

With ##cos(\alpha - \beta)=cos(\alpha)cos(\beta) + sin(\alpha)sin(\beta)##:

⇔##s_{1} + s_{2} =7 cm \cdot [ (cos(27.5s^{-1}\cdot t) cos(-5.575 m^{-1}\cdot x) +sin(27.5s^{-1}\cdot t)sin(-5.575 m^{-1}\cdot x) )~~cos(0.075m^{-1} \cdot x) ]##
⇔##s_{1} + s_{2} =7 cm \cdot [ cos(27.5s^{-1}\cdot t) cos(-5.575 m^{-1} \cdot x)cos(0.075m^{-1} \cdot x) +sin(27.5s^{-1}\cdot t)sin(-5.575 m^{-1}\cdot x)cos(0.075m^{-1} \cdot x) ]##

Leaving out the terms with t, the amplitude is

##A=s_{1} + s_{2} =7 cm \cdot [ cos(-5.575 m^{-1} \cdot x)cos(0.075m^{-1} \cdot x) +sin(-5.575 m^{-1})cos(0.075m^{-1} \cdot x) ]##

with ##x_{max}=0##

the maximum amplitude is ##A_{max}=7cm \cdot (1+0) = 7cm##

This should be correct?

orangephysik said:
Oh right.

So
##s_{1} + s_{2} =7 cm \cdot cos(\frac{55s^{-1}\cdot t-11.15 m^{-1}\cdot x}{2})cos(0.075m^{-1} \cdot x)##
⇔##s_{1} + s_{2} =7 cm \cdot cos(27.5s^{-1}\cdot t-5.575 m^{-1}\cdot x)cos(0.075m^{-1} \cdot x)##

⇔##s_{1} + s_{2} =7 cm \cdot [ (cos(27.5s^{-1}\cdot t) cos(-5.575 m^{-1}\cdot x) +sin(27.5s^{-1}\cdot t)sin(-5.575 m^{-1}\cdot x) )~~cos(0.075m^{-1} \cdot x) ]##
⇔##s_{1} + s_{2} =7 cm \cdot [ cos(27.5s^{-1}\cdot t) cos(-5.575 m^{-1} \cdot x)cos(0.075m^{-1} \cdot x) +sin(27.5s^{-1}\cdot t)sin(-5.575 m^{-1}\cdot x)cos(0.075m^{-1} \cdot x) ]##

##A=s_{1} + s_{2} =7 cm \cdot [ cos(-5.575 m^{-1} \cdot x)cos(0.075m^{-1} \cdot x) +sin(-5.575 m^{-1})cos(0.075m^{-1} \cdot x) ]##

with ##x_{max}=0##

This should be correct?
It would be simpler and less work for you if you identified the amplitude from
$$s_{1} + s_{2} =(7~{\rm cm}) \cos(27.5~{\rm s^{-1}} \cdot t - 5.575~{\rm m^{-1}} \cdot x)\cos(0.075~{\rm m^{-1}} \cdot x)$$ since the time dependence is isolated to one factor.

Likes orangephysik and nasu
orangephysik said:
Oh right.

So

with ##x_{max}=0##

This should be correct?
You don't need all this. You already had the formula for the sum in post #1. All you had to do was to identify the amplitude.

Likes orangephysik
Oh okay. Thank you :smile:

nasu said:
You don't need all this. You already had the formula for the sum in post #1. All you had to do was to identify the amplitude.
No, the question asks for a value of x which maximises the amplitude. In the formula obtained in post #1, because the x factor had been omitted from the cos argument, it seemed like the amplitude was independent of x.
It is unclear whether the value of the maximum amplitude is even required in the answer. ##x_{max}## has an infinite sequence of values, and that may be what is meant in "What are these values?"

Last edited:
You do not need to type ##m^{-1}## and ##s^{-1}## all the time, just write that the units of ##x## is meters and ##t## is seconds. You can also write that ##s_1## and ##s_2## are in cm.

Also write
1679345518635.png

for ##\cos##

Likes orangephysik
haruspex said:
No, the question asks for a value of x which maximises the amplitude. In the formula obtained in post #1, because the x factor had been omitted from the cos argument, it seemed like the amplitude was independent of x.
It is unclear whether the value of the maximum amplitude is even required in the answer. ##x_{max}## has an infinite sequence of values, and that may be what is meant in "What are these values?"
You are right, he got the right form in post #3, not #1.
From this one he can find the positions of maximum amplitude.

What is the superposition of two one-dimensional harmonic waves?

The superposition of two one-dimensional harmonic waves is a phenomenon that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel through the same medium. The resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves, and it exhibits a complex pattern of constructive and destructive interference.

What is the formula for calculating the superposition of two one-dimensional harmonic waves?

The formula for calculating the superposition of two one-dimensional harmonic waves is A*sin(kx-wt) + B*sin(kx-wt+phi), where A and B are the amplitudes of the individual waves, k is the wave number, x is the position, w is the angular frequency, and phi is the phase difference between the two waves.

What is the significance of phase difference in the superposition of two one-dimensional harmonic waves?

The phase difference between two waves determines the resulting wave's amplitude and shape. When the phase difference is 0 or a multiple of 2*pi, the waves are in phase and will constructively interfere, resulting in a larger amplitude. When the phase difference is a multiple of pi, the waves are out of phase and will destructively interfere, resulting in a smaller or zero amplitude.

What are some real-life examples of the superposition of two one-dimensional harmonic waves?

The superposition of two one-dimensional harmonic waves can be observed in many natural phenomena, such as sound waves in a musical instrument, ocean waves, and seismic waves. It is also used in various technologies, including radio and television broadcasting, medical imaging, and laser technology.

How does the superposition of two one-dimensional harmonic waves relate to the concept of interference?

The superposition of two one-dimensional harmonic waves is a type of interference, where the waves interact with each other and combine to form a resulting wave. Constructive interference occurs when the waves are in phase, and destructive interference occurs when the waves are out of phase. The resulting wave's amplitude and shape are determined by the waves' phase difference and can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of waves in different systems.