Bernoulli's with Resistances - model flow between oil filters

In summary: This will drop the pressure by the same amount and the two filters will still work together to maintain the same differential pressure across them.
CorneliusRox
Bernoulli's with Resistances -- model flow between oil filters

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I was in school and practicing this stuff daily, so bear with me please!

I'm a BSME and I want to model up flow between oil filters.
Currently we use a single oil filter with the same pump we have used forever.
What I am proposing is a higher pressure oil pump (more LPH really) but it will blow holes in the oil filters, so I want to use a two filter setup in parallel.

My question is, how can I model up the resistance of one filter, and then model up the same properties (constant pressure, constant density, constant height) to see how much the flow would change with the second filter.
I am assuming that I can use R=1/((1/r1)+(1/r2)) to model resistance and show that the second filter will drop. The filters are rated at a certain psi and kind of work like a regulator, but regardless, I think this still holds true.

In the end, I'll validate this through dyno and field testing, but I'd like to understand it more first.

Thanks everyone!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Lubrication oil or hydraulic oil?

A positive displacement hydraulic pump produces a fixed volume flow. The filter will drop some pressure at that fixed flow. The filter should not be used to regulate the flow. Are you using a centrifugal pump ?

It is normal to filter the pump input from the tank, not the output of a pump. You need to protect the pump from dirt in the oil. Why are you filtering the high pressure output of the pump ?

As the filter becomes progressively blocked the differential pressure will rise. You should have a differential pressure gauge across your filters to detect blockage, well before a filter fails and dumps it's load of dirt and fragments of filter element into your system.

You can double the flow for the same differential pressure across the filter by using two filters in parallel. You can often buy replaceable filter elements with a higher capacity, they have the same screw fitting, but have longer canisters.

1. What is Bernoulli's principle and how does it relate to fluid flow?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is based on the conservation of energy in a fluid system, where the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy remains constant. It is commonly applied to fluid flow in pipes, where a decrease in pipe diameter leads to an increase in fluid speed and a decrease in pressure.

2. How does the presence of resistances affect fluid flow according to Bernoulli's principle?

In the context of Bernoulli's principle, resistances refer to any obstacles or restrictions in the fluid flow, such as oil filters. These resistances cause a decrease in fluid speed and an increase in pressure, as the fluid must work harder to overcome the obstacle. This is why a clogged oil filter can lead to a decrease in engine performance, as the fluid is not able to flow as smoothly.

3. Can Bernoulli's principle be applied to model fluid flow between oil filters?

Yes, Bernoulli's principle can be applied to model fluid flow between oil filters. However, it is important to note that this is a simplified model and does not take into account other factors that may affect fluid flow, such as viscosity and turbulence. Therefore, the results may not be completely accurate, but can still provide a general understanding of the fluid flow between oil filters.

4. How can Bernoulli's principle be used to optimize oil filter placement?

By understanding Bernoulli's principle, engineers can strategically place oil filters in a system to maximize fluid flow and minimize resistances. This can help improve the overall efficiency and performance of the system. For example, placing filters in areas with higher fluid speed can help reduce the pressure drop caused by the filters.

5. Are there any limitations to using Bernoulli's principle in modeling fluid flow between oil filters?

Yes, there are limitations to using Bernoulli's principle in this context. As mentioned before, it does not take into account factors such as viscosity and turbulence, which can greatly affect fluid flow. Additionally, the presence of multiple filters and complex piping systems can make it difficult to accurately model fluid flow using only Bernoulli's principle. Therefore, it is important to use this principle as a general guide and not rely solely on its predictions.