Solving Friction Problem: Distance to Stop a Car

• Thread starter ksle82
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation is about a car with an initial velocity v_{0} and a coefficient of friction \mu. The question is what distance is needed to stop the car. The equation v^2=v_{0}^2+2ax can be used to solve for x, but the person is unsure how to solve for acceleration a. They suggest calculating the frictional force and using the definition of force to find the acceleration. They also mention trying a force balance and solving for a, which should be a=-u*gyes. The other person confirms that this is correct and thanks them for their help.
ksle82
A car traveling at an initial velocity [tex]v_{0}[/tex] applies its brakes to come to a stop. The coeffictien of friction is [tex]\mu[/tex]. What distance is required to stop?

I know that you can solve for x using this equation:
[tex]v^2=v_{0}^2+2ax[/tex]

-but i don't know how to solve for acceleration a. any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you calculate the frictional force? If so, can you calculate the acceleration, by, say, using the definition of force? Try it out, assigning the mass to be m0, and see what you get

Im trying to do a force balace to find a but I am not sure this is right.

[tex]-\mum_{0}g=m_{0}a[/tex]
solving for for a, i get [tex]a=\mug[/tex]

Last edited:
excuse my bad Latex

but it should be:

-u*Mo*g=Mo*a, solving for a,

a=-u*g

yes that's right!

thanx 'preciate the help

1. What is friction and how does it affect a car's stopping distance?

Friction is a force that occurs when two objects rub against each other. In the case of a car, friction occurs between the tires and the road surface. The friction force between the tires and the road helps to slow down and eventually stop the car. The more friction there is, the shorter the stopping distance will be.

2. What factors affect a car's stopping distance?

There are several factors that can affect a car's stopping distance, including the speed of the car, the condition of the tires, the road surface, and the weight and type of the vehicle. Additionally, external factors such as weather conditions and road conditions can also impact a car's stopping distance.

3. How can I calculate the stopping distance of a car?

The stopping distance of a car can be calculated by using the formula: Stopping Distance = Reaction Distance + Braking Distance. The reaction distance is the distance the car travels while the driver reacts to a potential hazard, and the braking distance is the distance the car travels while the brakes are applied. Both of these factors can be affected by the speed of the car and the friction between the tires and the road.

4. How does speed affect a car's stopping distance?

Speed is one of the most significant factors that affect a car's stopping distance. The faster a car is traveling, the longer the reaction time and the greater the braking distance will be. This means that the higher the speed, the longer the stopping distance will be. In fact, doubling the speed of a car can quadruple its stopping distance.

5. What can be done to reduce a car's stopping distance?

To reduce a car's stopping distance, there are several things that can be done. Drivers can maintain a safe and appropriate speed, keep a safe distance from other vehicles, and ensure that their tires are properly inflated and in good condition. Additionally, using proper braking techniques and avoiding distracted driving can also help to reduce a car's stopping distance.