Energy in DC Circuits: 12V, 2ohm Resistor(s)

In summary, two ideal DC circuits with 12V batteries were compared, one with one 2ohm resistor and the other with two 2ohm resistors. The first circuit had a current of 6A and dissipated 72W while the second circuit had a current of 3A and dissipated 36W. The two emfs were identical, indicating that they supplied the same amount of energy. However, due to the power dissipation, the second circuit will carry a current for twice the amount of time as the first circuit. This is because the electrochemical processes need to progress at a quicker rate in the first circuit to replenish the charge at the poles. Therefore, the battery in the first circuit will
pivoxa15
Consider two ideal DC circuits both with a 12V battery. The first has one 2ohm resistor and in the second circuit contains two 2ohm resistors.

After some calculations, it is evident that a 6A current flows in the first circuit and a 3A current flows in the second. Assume the only power dissipated is via the resistors. The total power dissipated in the first circuit is 72W and in the second is 36W. The power supplied by the emf must also equal these rates. However, the two emfs are identical so must have supplied the same total amount of energy at equilibrium when the batteries are dead. Hence from the power of dissipation of each circuit it means circuit two will carry a current for twice the amount of time as the first circuit. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the rules around here.

What do you think?

I made this problem up and have suggested what I think the answer may be in the second last sentence in the OP.

No one has answered yet. Is it too straight forward? I am a bit fuzzy on electronics. But the solution I suggeseted seem to go with general physical principles.

pivoxa15 said:
Consider two ideal DC circuits both with a 12V battery. The first has one 2ohm resistor and in the second circuit contains two 2ohm resistors.

After some calculations, it is evident that a 6A current flows in the first circuit and a 3A current flows in the second. Assume the only power dissipated is via the resistors. The total power dissipated in the first circuit is 72W and in the second is 36W. The power supplied by the emf must also equal these rates. However, the two emfs are identical so must have supplied the same total amount of energy at equilibrium when the batteries are dead. Hence from the power of dissipation of each circuit it means circuit two will carry a current for twice the amount of time as the first circuit. Is this correct?

Yes, if you consider the battery to be an ideal voltage source.

antonantal said:
Yes, if you consider the battery to be an ideal voltage source.

If we don't than all sorts of things could happen? i.e. too many things could happen and in the end we wouldn't know the net result.

In these two cases the rate of energy supplied by the battery differs for the two circuits (consider first connecting one circuit and then the other to the same battery). It just means that the electrochemical processes need to progress at a quicker rate in the first case than in the second. That is as the charge are removed quicker from the poles more chemical processes runs to replenish the charge at the poles.

andrevdh said:
In these two cases the rate of energy supplied by the battery differs for the two circuits (consider first connecting one circuit and then the other to the same battery). It just means that the electrochemical processes need to progress at a quicker rate in the first case than in the second. That is as the charge are removed quicker from the poles more chemical processes runs to replenish the charge at the poles.

So I was right in my OP? These batteries in the different circuits producing energy at different rates imply one will be dead before the other?

Yes, if the batteries are not recharged the battery that is supplying charge at a higher rate will run out of chemical reactions before the other.

FAQ: Energy in DC Circuits: 12V, 2ohm Resistor(s)

1. What is the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a DC circuit?

In a DC circuit, voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R), as expressed by Ohm's Law: V = IR. This means that as voltage or resistance increases, current will also increase.

2. How does a 12V power supply affect the circuit?

A 12V power supply will provide a constant voltage of 12 volts to the circuit. This voltage will then be used by the circuit to power any components connected to it.

3. What is the significance of a 2ohm resistor in the circuit?

A 2ohm resistor serves to limit the flow of current in the circuit. It creates resistance, which helps to prevent damage to the components by controlling the amount of current that can pass through the circuit.

4. How does the current change if the resistance of the circuit is increased?

If the resistance of the circuit is increased, the current will decrease. This is because as resistance increases, less current is able to flow through the circuit.

5. Can the voltage and current in a circuit be measured?

Yes, both voltage and current can be measured using various tools such as a multimeter. Voltage can be measured in volts (V) and current can be measured in amperes (A).

Back