Finding the value of this load resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses a series circuit setup with a current that remains constant throughout the circuit. It also mentions the voltage drop across a load resistor and the calculation of current and resistance in the circuit. The person speaking also expresses their confidence in their understanding of the topic.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Calculate the resistance of load resistor
Relevant Equations
V = IR
Question:

Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 09.05.33.png

I first knew that this would be a series circuit setup, there the current all around the circuit would be the same.

It's given that when it's a open circuit, p.d. across the output is 4000V hence the emf is therefore 4000V. When it gets connected to a load resistor, the voltage share is 3000V thus the voltage share on the internal resistance of the voltage supply must be 1000V

From this I can work out the current flowing through the circuit which gave me 4.1666... x10^-5 Amps

This should mean that 4.1666... x10^-5 amps is also passing through the load resistor, so the resistance of the load resistor is R = V/I or 72 Mega ohms

IMG-3860.JPG

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No help possible, except to convince you you are doing OK...

BvU said:
No help possible, except to convince you you are doing OK...

Ok thanks, I’m sure I am doing it right. It’s just that sometimes I make silly mistakes that I don’t tend to see at all but others can. But I checked again just to be sure

1. How do I determine the value of a load resistor?

The value of a load resistor can be determined by using Ohm's law, which states that the resistance of a circuit is equal to the voltage divided by the current. By measuring the voltage and current in the circuit, you can calculate the resistance and determine the value of the load resistor.

2. Why is it important to find the value of a load resistor?

Knowing the value of a load resistor is important because it affects the overall performance of a circuit. The resistance of the load resistor determines the amount of current that flows through the circuit and can impact the voltage and power output of the circuit.

3. What tools do I need to find the value of a load resistor?

To find the value of a load resistor, you will need a multimeter, which can measure voltage and current in a circuit. You may also need a resistor color code chart to help identify the value of the resistor based on its color bands.

4. Can I use any load resistor in a circuit?

No, the load resistor must have a value that is appropriate for the circuit. Using a resistor with too high or too low of a resistance can cause the circuit to malfunction or even become damaged. It is important to determine the correct value of the load resistor for optimal circuit performance.

5. How do I know if I have found the correct value for the load resistor?

You can verify the value of the load resistor by checking the voltage and current in the circuit again. If the voltage and current are consistent with the calculated resistance, then you have found the correct value for the load resistor. You can also double-check by using a different multimeter or by consulting a professional.