PDE: The Eikonal Equation method of characterstics, etc.

Your name]In summary, the conversation is about solving the Eikonal Equation using the method of characteristics. The initial condition and the solution are given, and the user is seeking help in solving for X(s,t) and Y(s,t). The expert suggests using the initial condition to simplify the equations or using a change of variables to solve the problem.
bndnchrs

Homework Statement

I need to solve the Eikonal Equation [tex]c^2(u_x^2 + u_y^2) = 1[/tex]

Initial condition u(x,0) = 0 C(x,y) = |x|, but x>0 to essentially C = x

Oh. And the solution is given as [tex]\ln{\frac{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2} + y}{x}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

None other than the usual method of characteristics stuff

The Attempt at a Solution

I can go through the method of characteristics and I get stuck with solving for X(s,t) and Y(s,t) at:

dX/dt = P*X^2
dY/dt = X^2*1/s
dP/dt = -1/X

s is a parameter here, not a variable. I'm really stuck, and need some fresh insights on this one, I've been working it for too long that I'm missing something critical.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. The Eikonal Equation is a fundamental equation in optics and wave propagation, and it is great that you are working on solving it. I am a scientist with a background in mathematical physics and I would like to offer some insights and suggestions for solving this problem.

First of all, you are on the right track by using the method of characteristics. This is a powerful technique for solving partial differential equations, and it has been used extensively in the study of the Eikonal Equation. However, as you have noticed, it can be challenging to solve for X(s,t) and Y(s,t) in this case. Let me offer some tips on how to proceed.

One approach is to use the initial condition u(x,0) = 0 to simplify the equations. Since we know that at t=0, u(x,0) = 0, we can set P = 0 in the first equation, which gives us dX/dt = 0. This means that X(s,t) is a constant, and we can choose it to be X(s,0) = x. Similarly, using the initial condition C(x,y) = |x|, we can set s = 0 in the second equation, which gives us dY/dt = 0. This means that Y(s,t) is also a constant, and we can choose it to be Y(s,0) = y. This simplifies the equations significantly and allows us to solve for X(s,t) and Y(s,t) easily.

Another approach is to use a change of variables. Let u = u(x,y), x = x(s,t) and y = y(s,t). Substituting these into the Eikonal Equation, we get a system of ordinary differential equations in s and t. This system can be solved using standard techniques, and the solution can then be used to find X(s,t) and Y(s,t).

I hope these suggestions will help you make progress on your problem. If you are still stuck, feel free to post your updated progress and I would be happy to offer more guidance. Keep up the good work!

What is the Eikonal equation and why is it important in PDE?

The Eikonal equation is a type of partial differential equation (PDE) that describes the propagation of waves in a medium. It is important in PDE because it can be used to model various physical phenomena such as light refraction, seismic waves, and sound propagation.

How is the Eikonal equation solved using the method of characteristics?

The method of characteristics is a technique used to solve the Eikonal equation. It involves finding a set of characteristic curves that satisfy the equation and then using these curves to determine the solution at any point. This method is often used in optics, acoustics, and other fields where wave propagation is important.

What are the applications of the Eikonal equation and the method of characteristics?

The Eikonal equation and the method of characteristics have many applications in various fields of science and engineering. Some examples include image processing, medical imaging, geophysics, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in computer graphics to simulate the behavior of light and sound.

What are the limitations of using the Eikonal equation and the method of characteristics?

While the Eikonal equation and the method of characteristics are powerful tools for solving PDEs, they do have some limitations. For example, they are not suitable for problems involving discontinuities or shocks, and they may not provide accurate solutions in highly nonlinear systems.

How does the Eikonal equation relate to other types of PDEs?

The Eikonal equation is a specific type of first-order PDE, which means it only involves first derivatives. It is closely related to other PDEs, such as the Hamilton-Jacobi equation and the Monge-Ampère equation. These equations have similar forms and can often be solved using similar techniques.