How to make a latex forum like this?

In summary, Borek is looking for a forum that is similar to Physicsforums, but with latex capabilities. He is also considering using wordpress.com.
mnb96
Hello,
does anyone know if there exist a free service that would allow one to base up a forum supporting latex for math discussions? just like physicsforums?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mnb96 said:
Hello,
does anyone know if there exist a free service that would allow one to base up a forum supporting latex for math discussions? just like physicsforums?

Thanks.
No, our version of laTex is customized. Physicsforums already exists, so this wouldn't be the place to ask how to copy it.

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Evo,
thanks for your reply.
My intentions are not to *copy* Physicsforums. Honestly I am not remotely interested in that.

The original idea was to provide a private forum-like discussion page (with basic latex capabilities) to enable the students of one course to share their problems and help each other. Since it's a math course they would eventually need to input latex formulas.

I was just asking if anyone knows any free hosting services that could do something like that. I hope I didn't offend anyone with this question.

PS (off-topic):
since your editor is customized, do you know if anyone in the staff is considering to add a keyboard shortcut to enter the text [tex][\tex] ? :shy:

u should probably ask this question on coding forums, a-la daniweb, dreamincode, etc. PM me if you find a thread about forums please. Thanks.

Check this:

[noparse]http://www.forkosh.dreamhost.com/mimetex.cgi?{ y = \mathrm{m}x + \mathrm{b} }[/noparse]

yields

[PLAIN]http://www.forkosh.dreamhost.com/mimetex.cgi?{ y = \mathrm{m}x + \mathrm{b} }[/PLAIN]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Borek!
That's pretty interesting. I will consider it.
At the moment I am also checking out the possibilities offered (for free) by wordpress.com.
It looks promising...

...I agree with haxtor12 that this might not be the appropriate category for this thread: "computers" might have been a better choice.

1. How do I create a latex forum like this?

To create a latex forum like this, you will need to have knowledge and experience in web development and programming. You will also need to have a hosting service and a domain name. It involves setting up a database, creating a user registration system, and designing the forum layout and functionality.

2. Do I need to know latex to create a latex forum?

While it may be helpful to have a basic understanding of latex, it is not necessary to create a latex forum. As long as you have the necessary web development skills, you can use various tools and plugins to incorporate latex functionality into your forum.

3. What programming languages are needed to create a latex forum?

To create a latex forum, you will need to have knowledge of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript for front-end development. For back-end development, you will need to know a server-side scripting language such as PHP or Ruby, and a database language such as SQL.

4. Are there any pre-made templates or platforms for creating a latex forum?

Yes, there are pre-made templates and platforms available for creating a latex forum. Some popular options include Discourse, phpBB, and Vanilla Forums, which offer latex support and customizable templates for forum creation.

5. How can I ensure that my latex forum is user-friendly and accessible?

To make your latex forum user-friendly and accessible, you should prioritize a clean and organized design, easy navigation, and clear instructions for using latex features. It is also important to regularly update and maintain your forum to ensure a smooth user experience.