How Far Will the Ice Cube Travel Up the Slope After Release?

• Thread starter physicsCU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, a 62.0 g ice cube can slide without friction on a 27.0^\circ slope and is pressed against a spring at the bottom, compressing it 11.0 cm. The spring constant is 27.0 N/m. To find the distance the ice cube will travel up the slope before reversing direction, one method is to determine the final velocity given by the spring and use it as the initial velocity for the rest of the motion, taking into account the acceleration due to gravity and the final velocity of 0. After solving, the distance was found to be 118 cm. However, there may be other methods or advice that can give the correct answer. The conversation also mentions difficulties with a website
physicsCU
Help on a problem, TIME SENSITIVE!

A 62.0 g ice cube can slide without friction up and down a 27.0^\circ slope. The ice cube is pressed against a spring at the bottom of the slope, compressing the spring 11.0 cm. The spring constant is 27.0 N/m.

When the ice cube is released, what distance will it travel up the slope before reversing direction?

I tried this:

I found the v_f that the spring gives the cube. I used that as v_i for the part of motion not acted on by the spring. for accel. I used a = -g*sin(theta). I used v_f = 0. Solved for x. I got 118 cm. That is wrong.

Does anyone have a method that will give me the right answer? Or any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind, i figured it out.

bastards at mastering physics.

That site was hell. :(

What is the problem?

The first and most obvious question is what the problem is that needs help. This could be a specific scientific problem that needs solving, or a general question about a topic. It is important to clearly state the problem in order for others to understand and assist.

Why is this problem time-sensitive?

Another common question is why the problem is time-sensitive. This could be because of a deadline or urgency in finding a solution. It is important to provide this information so that others can prioritize and respond accordingly.

What have you tried so far?

It is helpful to know what steps have already been taken in attempting to solve the problem. This can prevent others from suggesting solutions that have already been tried, and also give insight into the thought process and approach of the person asking for help.

What resources do you have available?

The available resources can greatly impact the possible solutions to a problem. It is important to mention any equipment, materials, or data that may be relevant to finding a solution. This information can also help others suggest alternative resources if needed.

Is there a specific outcome or goal you are trying to achieve?

Having a clear understanding of the desired outcome or goal can help guide others in providing helpful advice. This could include a specific result or finding, or a desired improvement or solution to a problem. Knowing the end goal can also help determine the best approach to finding a solution.