How do you realize what's moral and what's immoral?

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how the speaker determines what is moral and immoral and why they try not to act immorally. They use the example of the Pharisees in Christianity to illustrate the idea that rules are not enough, and it's important to consider the bigger picture and the effect on others. The speaker also mentions that their personal motivations and beliefs guide their actions, and they prioritize seeking truth and understanding over avoiding causing pain. The use of the word "triage" is referenced as a way to prioritize actions based on what will be most beneficial in the long run.
Lisa!
Gold Member
How do you realize what's moral and what's immoral? And why do you try not to act immorally?

Physics news on Phys.org
I try to see the larger picture rather than simply weighing an isolated event...because they and we don't exist in a vacuum. I think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharisee#.22Pharisees.22_and_Christianity" is an apt example - The Pharisees are rule-obsessed and often seem to lack the spirit in which the rules were written. Jesus scorns them for walking the walk but not talking the talk, essentially. I've read in a few places that this is a Christian twisting of what really went on, but it still exemplifies what I'm trying to say.

So, it's hard to pin down generalities in that case. My physiology and evolved behavior cause me to not want to cause pain or cheat others (as with all primates). I don't necessarily see secular law as coinciding with my abstract notions, so breaking the law isn't necessarily immoral for me. The only general thing I can say is that when other people are involved, I try to take into consideration what is going to be the most beneficial outcome in the long run - eg allowing pain in the present for what I perceive as benefits in the long run, ie understanding (and with it freedom), opportunity. As a consequence, I'm usually pretty blunt, tho not unnecessarily so. I think the motivating force in my life is to seek truth and understand the relationship between myself and the universe, so I'm not going to balk at causing pain along the way because I see what may come from it as more beneficial. - That seems like the rub of it.

For me, acting immoral is thumbing my nose at something I respect and am guided by. It's counterproductive to my motivations and is esp unpleasant if it involves hurting others. I could act immorally without hurting others, but it'd be degrading to what I have faith in.

Last edited by a moderator:
0TheSwerve0 said:
I'm not going to balk at causing pain along the way because I see what may come from it as more beneficial.
I.e., triage.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triage

LOL, quirky:smile:

The general use of the word triage is sanctioned by the M-W Unabridged dictionary:

: the assigning of priority order to projects on the basis of where funds and other resources can be best used, are most needed, or are most likely to achieve success

Appropriate then. I guess the main difference between people,then, is what they view as a success.

1. How do you determine what is considered moral and immoral?

The determination of what is considered moral and immoral is a complex process that involves personal beliefs, cultural norms, and ethical principles. It is a continuous learning process and can vary from person to person.

2. Is morality subjective or objective?

The debate over whether morality is subjective or objective has been ongoing for centuries. Some argue that morality is subjective, meaning it is based on personal opinions and beliefs, while others argue that it is objective, meaning it is based on universal principles and standards.

3. What role does religion play in determining morality?

Religion can play a significant role in shaping an individual's moral beliefs and values. Many religious traditions have specific rules and guidelines for what is considered moral and immoral behavior.

4. Can morality change over time?

Morality can change over time as societal norms and beliefs evolve. What was once considered immoral may become accepted, and what was once considered moral may become frowned upon.

5. How do external factors influence one's sense of morality?

External factors such as family, friends, and societal pressures can influence a person's sense of morality. These factors can shape an individual's beliefs, values, and behaviors, which can impact their understanding of what is considered moral and immoral.