(Probability) The birthday problem P(at least 2) DIRECT APPROACH

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of at least 2 people sharing the same birthday in a group of 5 people. The person calculates the probabilities for different scenarios, including 0 matches, 1 pair, 2 pairs, 1 triplet, 1 quadruplet, and 1 quintuplet. They also mention a potential mistake in their calculations for the 5 person case. The conversation then shifts to discussing the possibility of one pair and one triplet, and the distinction between people being indistinguishable or not in the group. Finally, the person mentions that they are solving this problem to practice their combinatoric skills and acknowledges that birthdays are not uniformly distributed in real life.
Applejacks01

Homework Statement

What is the probability that given a group of 5 people, at least 2 will share the same birthday?

Homework Equations

I know that 1-P(0 matches) = answer, but there is a reason I am going about this the head on approach. I am trying to develop my combinatoric skills.

The Attempt at a Solution

EDIT: I think I am missing some cases. What about the case where we have exactly 1 triplet and 1 pair? Hmm..

OKAY so IF I am correct, then here is what happened in my original work:
When I did the case of 1 triplet, I REALLY did the case of 1 triplet and 2 different birthdays. Which means I was missing the case of 1 triplet and 2 same birthdays!

So there are C(5,2) ways to choose the people to be part of the pair = 10 ways. And similar logic yields the final piece of the puzzle. My solutions are equivalent now. Anybody want to verify?

I am calculating the probabilities of the following to solve this:
0 matches
1 pair
2 pairs
1 triplet
1 quadruplet
1 quintuplet

Here is my table of work:
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/8428/birthday5peopleproblem.jpg

The method is as follows:
Code:
No matches has 1 way to assign the lack of matches.
 The # of days for first person is 365, 2nd is 364,etc..
Multiply everything together and divide by (365^5) to get the probability
Code:
1 pair has C(5,2) ways to assign the pairs. 
The # of days for first person is 365. 2nd is 1 way.
 3rd is 364, 4th 363, 5th 362. Multiply all together and divide by 365^5
Code:
2 pairs has 3*5 =15 ways of combinations. this is derived by observing:
A = pair 1
B = pair 2
C = standalone
AABBC
ABABC
ABBAC
There are 5 ways of assigning the standalone(no match) for each group, hence 15 ways.

The way of choosing days is as follows: 365*1*364*1*363
Multiply that with 15, divide by 365^5

Code:
For a triplet, there are C(5,3) ways to assign the 
matching day. The # of days are 365*1*1*364*363
Code:
For a quadruplet, there are C(5,4) ways to 
assign the matching day. the # of days are 365*1*1*1*364
Code:
For a quintuplet, there is only 1 way to 
assign the matching day, and there is 365 ways to choose the day.

Please see my chart, and note that the probabilities differ by an extremely small #. I can't figure out where the error is??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered the possibility of one pair and one triplet?

awkward said:
Have you considered the possibility of one pair and one triplet?

Yes! I realized last night I was missing that one! (and now my solution for the 5 person case is correct, thank you)

Okay guys, so I thought all was well, but to really test my combinatoric skills I decided to try the 8 person case. Well...once again there is a discrepancy! I will attach my chart.
Edit: Please ignore "quadrupleruple" lol...I used find/replace to change words around and that happened...oops
Edit 2: I didn't actually sum rows 21-23...oops. Answer is still off by roughly the same margin.

Attachments

• Birthdayproblem8people.jpg
    Birthdayproblem8people.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
Are the people in your group indistinguishable from each other?

I mean, if you label them 1,2,3,4,5 , are you distinguishing between ,say,

1,2 having the same birthday or 2,4, etc?

Also, in case you're interested in a realistic model --and not just practicing

your counting--there is data that strongly suggests that birthdays are not

distributed uniformly.

Okay for example:
If 1,2 have the same birthday as 3,4 , then that is considered a quadruple, not 2 pairs.
For a group of 4 people, we can have the following cases:
(0 same): 1 <> 2 <> 3 <> 4
(1 pair) 1=2 and 3<>4 , 1 = 3 and 2<>4, 1=4 and 2<>3. 2=3 and 1<>4, 2=4 and 1<>3, 3=4 and 1<>2
2 pairs 1=2 and 3=4, 1=3 and 2=4, 1=4 and 2=3
(1 triplet) 1=2=3 and 4 is different, 1=2=4 and 3 is different, 1=3=4 and 2 is different, 2=3=4 and 1 is different
(1 quadruplet) 1=2=3=4

And for example, suppose we have 2 birthdays: A and B

_ _ _ _ = 1,2,3,4

There are only 3 ways to have 2 pairs of birthdays:
AABB
ABAB
ABBA

Note that BABA is identical to ABAB (because A can be B and B can be A, but not at the same time).

Does that answer your question?

And yes I am aware, but I am solving this to work on my counting skills really.

1. What is the birthday problem?

The birthday problem is a probability puzzle that asks how many people must be in a room for there to be at least a 50% chance that two people share the same birthday. This problem assumes that all birthdays are equally likely and that the individuals in the room are randomly chosen.

2. How does the direct approach solve the birthday problem?

The direct approach to the birthday problem involves directly calculating the probability that at least two people share the same birthday in a group of a certain size. This is done by first calculating the probability that no two people share the same birthday, and then subtracting that from 1 to get the probability of at least two people sharing a birthday.

3. What is the formula for solving the birthday problem using the direct approach?

The formula for solving the birthday problem using the direct approach is 1 - (365!/((365-n)! * 365^n)), where n is the number of people in the room.

4. What is the significance of the birthday problem in probability?

The birthday problem is significant in probability because it demonstrates the concept of a paradox, where a seemingly unlikely event becomes much more likely when a larger group is considered. This problem also highlights the importance of understanding probability and the limitations of intuition when dealing with large numbers.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the birthday problem?

Yes, the birthday problem has real-world applications in fields such as cryptography, where it is used to analyze the strength of certain encryption algorithms. It is also relevant in fields such as epidemiology, where it can be used to estimate the probability of multiple individuals sharing the same birthdate in a given population.