Register to reply

Causality with time invariance

by tutumar
Tags: causality, invariance, time
Share this thread:
tutumar
Jun30-12, 01:29 PM
P: 2
Assume u:R[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] C^n and define shift operator S([itex]\tau[/itex]) with

S([itex]\tau[/itex])u(t)=u(t-[itex]\tau[/itex])

and truncation operator P([itex]\tau[/itex]) with

P([itex]\tau[/itex])u(t)=u(t) for t[itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\tau[/itex] and 0 for t>[itex]\tau[/itex]

Then P([itex]\tau[/itex])S([itex]\tau[/itex])=S([itex]\tau[/itex])P(0) for every [itex]\tau[/itex]>=0.

Can someone please prove last statement..
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
HallsofIvy
Jun30-12, 02:39 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,346
Looks like pretty direct computation. If u(t) is any such function, then what is[itex]SD(\tau)u[/itex]? What is [itex]P(\tau)S(\tau)u[/itex]? Then turn around and find [itex]S(\tau)P(0)u[/itex].
tutumar
Jun30-12, 02:54 PM
P: 2
Yes, I tried that, and it just doesn't fit..

P([itex]\tau[/itex])S([itex]\tau[/itex])u(t)=P([itex]\tau[/itex])u(t-[itex]\tau[/itex])=u(t-[itex]\tau[/itex]) if t-[itex]\tau[/itex]<=[itex]\tau[/itex] and 0 for t-[itex]\tau[/itex]>[itex]\tau[/itex]

S([itex]\tau[/itex])P(0)u(t)=S([itex]\tau[/itex])u(t) for t<=0 and 0 otherwise=u(t-[itex]\tau[/itex]) if t<=0 and 0 otherwise..

Well, something's got to be wrong here, but I can't see what..

Einj
Jul1-12, 02:58 AM
P: 305
Causality with time invariance

I think your last equation is wrong. As, if we have:

$$P(0)u(t)=u(t) \mbox{ if } t\leq 0 \mbox{ and } 0 \mbox{ otherwise }$$

than:

$$S(\tau)P(0)u(t)=u(t-\tau) \mbox{ if } t-\tau\leq 0 \mbox{ and } 0 \mbox{ if } t-\tau>0$$

Still, I'm not able to prove the statement as in the first case you have $$t-\tau\leq\tau$$ and in this case there is $$t-\tau\leq 0$$. I'm sorry...

Register to reply