How is Dipole Anisotropy Expansion Derived in Weinberg's Cosmology?

In summary, Weinberg's cosmology book, section 2.4, discusses the temperature shift formula T' = T/γ(1+βcosθ) and claims that it can be expressed as a sum of Legendre polynomials when expanded in powers of beta. The resulting formula is ΔT = T' - T = T(-β²/6 - βP₁(cosθ) + 2β²/3P₂(cosθ) + ...). The process of achieving this result can be done by expanding the original function as a Taylor series and then rewriting it in terms of Legendre polynomials up to second order. While there may be a more elegant method using recurrence relations, it would require significant effort.
nicksauce
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In Weinberg's cosmology book, section 2.4 we have
[tex]
T' = \frac{T}{\gamma(1+\beta\cos{\theta})}
[/tex]

He then claims, "Expanding in powers of beta, the temperature shift can be expressed as a sum of Legendre polynomials"
[tex]
\Delta T = T' -T = T\left(-\frac{\beta^2}{6} - \beta P_1(\cos{\theta}) + \frac{2\beta^2}{3}P_2(\cos{\theta}) + ...\right)
[/tex]

Can someone help me fill in the algebra here? I really am having a hard time seeing where this is coming from.

Space news on Phys.org
Alright, so I am able to get it to work, if I expand the original function as a Taylor series, then go back and write it in terms of the Legendre Polynomials (up to second order). But I am hoping/wondering if there is a more elegant way to achieve the final result.

nicksauce said:
Alright, so I am able to get it to work, if I expand the original function as a Taylor series, then go back and write it in terms of the Legendre Polynomials (up to second order). But I am hoping/wondering if there is a more elegant way to achieve the final result.
I'm not sure. I mean, the Taylor series expansion is exceedingly simple for this function, so it may be possible to make use of one of the recurrence relations of the Legendre polynomials to transform the Taylor expansion into an expansion in Legendre polynomials. But that would seem to be a fair bit of work.

FAQ: How is Dipole Anisotropy Expansion Derived in Weinberg's Cosmology?

1. What is dipole anisotropy expansion?

Dipole anisotropy expansion is a mathematical framework used to describe the anisotropy (directional dependence) of a dipole moment. It involves expanding the dipole moment into spherical harmonics, which are mathematical functions that describe the shape of a sphere.

2. How is dipole anisotropy expansion used in research?

Dipole anisotropy expansion is commonly used in studies of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation, which is the remnant heat from the Big Bang. Researchers use this framework to study the directionality of the CMB and investigate the structure and evolution of the universe.

3. What is the significance of dipole anisotropy expansion in physics?

Dipole anisotropy expansion is significant in physics because it allows for a more detailed understanding of the distribution and behavior of dipole moments. It also has many applications in other fields, such as astronomy, geophysics, and materials science.

4. Are there any limitations to dipole anisotropy expansion?

One limitation of dipole anisotropy expansion is that it assumes a perfect spherical symmetry, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. Additionally, it may not accurately describe highly complex or chaotic systems.

5. How can dipole anisotropy expansion be improved or refined?

Researchers are constantly working to improve and refine dipole anisotropy expansion by developing new mathematical techniques and incorporating more complex factors, such as higher order multipole moments, into the framework. This allows for a more precise and comprehensive understanding of dipole anisotropy in various systems.