Trying to reproduce curves with angle of CMB anisotropies

In summary, the speaker is seeking a way to compute the three curves shown in a figure related to the trajectory of light in an expanding universe. They are unsure of what value to use as the abscissa, the comoving distance, proper distance, or angular diameter distance. The speaker also questions the constancy of anisotropies during travel and asks for help in reproducing the curves in the figure. It is mentioned that the figures at the top are not from a real calculation, but rather a heuristic device to illustrate the concept of curvature in two-dimensional surfaces.
fab13
I am looking for a way to get, by a simple numerical computation, the 3 curves on the following figure:

LNjsG.jpg

For this, I don't know what considering as abcissa (comoving distance ?, i.e

##D_{comoving} = R(t)r##

with ##R(t)## scale factor and ##r## the coordinate which appears into FLRW metric).

Previously, I found a little project about the trajectory of light geodesics in an expanding universe; here below a figure illustrating the expected results with FLRW metric:

hUqMY.png

As you can see, the curve of light is bended since $\Lambda\text{CDM}$ current model produces acceleration of expansion, so light has more and more difficulties to reach our galaxy.

In a first version of this project, I have computed a light geodesic in Einstein-de-Sitter universe : so in this case, the distance between the 2 galaxies (emitting and our galaxy) which is equal to :

##D_{{\varphi}}=\text{Distance}_{init}\,\bigg[\frac{3\,H_{0}}{2c}\,ct\bigg]^{2/3}##

I did also a simple computation on the angular diameter distance versus the redshift. I get this figure which is the expected results for the 3 models (k=-1,0,1) :

qmAL1.png

I would have thought that angle of anistropies was constant during its travel : that is not the case on the first figures at the top of post, which illustrates a bending, producing then a different angle between the initial emission and the final reception by our eyes : **is it actually right ?**

I think my main issue, to produce this first figure, is to know what I have got to take as abscissa ? the comoving distance, the proper distance, the angular diameter distance ?

Firstly, I believed that I should take the comoving distance but I don't know how to make converge 2 light rays (extremities of one anisotropy) in oberver eyes.

Any help is welcome to reproduce the 3 curves on the first figure of this post : these curves illustrate very well the notion of smaller/bigger value of apparent anisotropies as a function of curvature parameter.

Attachments

• LNjsG.jpg
    LNjsG.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 825
  • hUqMY.png
    hUqMY.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 519
  • qmAL1.png
    qmAL1.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 551
Space news on Phys.org
I don't have a really substantive answer right now, but one important point is that the pictures at the top are not likely to be from any sort of real calculation. Rather they're a heuristic device. If you had a two-dimensional surface that was flat, positively-curved, or negatively curved, then triangles on those surfaces would look much like the three displayed above. For instance, the Earth is positively-curved (akin to a closed universe), so if you draw a large enough triangle on the surface of the Earth, with the edges of the triangle being geodesics (great circles for the Earth), then it will look much like the "closed universe" triangle when viewed from space.

1. What is the CMB anisotropy and why is it important in studying the early universe?

The Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) is a faint glow of microwave radiation that permeates the entire universe. It is the oldest light in the universe, originating from about 380,000 years after the Big Bang. The CMB anisotropy refers to the tiny variations in the CMB temperature across the sky. Studying these variations can provide valuable insights into the early universe, such as the distribution of matter and energy, and the expansion rate of the universe.

2. What is the best way to measure the angles of CMB anisotropies?

The most common method to measure the angles of CMB anisotropies is through observations using microwave telescopes. These telescopes are designed to detect the faint microwave radiation from the CMB and create maps of the temperature variations across the sky. This data is then analyzed to determine the angles and other properties of the anisotropies.

3. Can we accurately reproduce the curves of the CMB anisotropies?

Yes, scientists have developed mathematical models and computer simulations to accurately reproduce the curves of the CMB anisotropies. These models take into account various factors such as the expansion of the universe, the distribution of matter and energy, and the effects of gravity and radiation. By comparing the predictions of these models with actual observations, we can gain a better understanding of the early universe.

4. What challenges do scientists face when trying to reproduce CMB anisotropy curves?

One of the main challenges in reproducing CMB anisotropy curves is the complexity of the universe. There are many factors that can influence the formation of these curves, such as the presence of dark matter and dark energy, gravitational lensing, and cosmic inflation. Furthermore, the precision of the measurements and the limitations of our instruments can also affect the accuracy of the reproduced curves.

5. How does the study of CMB anisotropies contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The study of CMB anisotropies is crucial in helping us understand the early universe and its evolution. By analyzing the patterns and properties of the anisotropies, we can test various cosmological theories and gain insights into the fundamental laws of physics. Additionally, the data from CMB observations can also provide valuable information about the composition and geometry of the universe, and potentially reveal new insights into the nature of dark matter and dark energy.