Heat equation with a Fourier Series on an infinitely long rod

In summary: I might be able to help.In summary, the conversation discusses the heat equation for an infinitely long rod, with a given initial condition and boundary conditions. The solution to this problem is a Fourier sine series, but there is difficulty in determining the coefficient Bn. The question is whether to approach the problem with L as a large number or as half of the given range, given that the function is zero for all other values. The solution to this problem is not explicitly stated, but the conversation ends with someone offering to help with the struggle.
nyt

Homework Statement

The heat equation for an infinitely long rod is shown as:

[tex]
\alpha^2 \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}u(x,t) = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}u(x,t)
[/tex]

[tex]
u(0,t) = u(L,t) = 0,\ \forall \ t > 0
[/tex]

[tex]
u(x,0) = sin(\pi x) \ \forall \ 1 < x < 2
[/tex]
[tex]
u(x,0) = 0\ \forall \ otherwise
[/tex]

[tex]
\alpha^2 = 0.1
[/tex]2. The attempt at a solution

I know that the solution of this problem is a Fourier sine series:

u(x,t)= sum (n=0 to infinity) B_n * sin ((n pi x)/L)

However, I am having problem trying to determine the coefficient Bn:

[tex]
B_n = \frac{2}{L}\int_{0}^{L} sin(\pi x) sin(\frac{n \pi x}{L}) dx
[/tex]

Since the function u(x,0)= sin(pi x) for 10<x<11 I'm not sure if I should approach this as:
[tex]
B_n = \frac{2}{L}\int_{1}^{2} sin(\pi x) sin(\frac{n \pi x}{L}) dx
[/tex]
where L is a large number

OR

[tex]
B_n = \frac{2}{2}\int_{1}^{2} sin(\pi x) sin(\frac{n \pi x}{2}) dx
[/tex]Do I go ahead with the second one and ignore that the rod is infinitely long since u(x,0) = 0 for all other values or is this a mistake?

I apologise that some of the equations of the post look like this but I couldn't get my tex brackets to work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe I've figured this out.

How can I edit/remove posts?

Thanks.

nyt,

im working on the same problem but I am not having much success, i was wonder how u solved the problem

justiz1 said:
nyt,

im working on the same problem but I am not having much success, i was wonder how u solved the problem

What is your struggle exactly?

1. What is the heat equation with a Fourier Series on an infinitely long rod?

The heat equation with a Fourier Series on an infinitely long rod is a mathematical model used to describe the distribution of heat in a one-dimensional object, such as a long metal rod. It takes into account factors such as the material properties of the rod, the initial temperature distribution, and the boundary conditions at the ends of the rod.

2. How is the heat equation with a Fourier Series solved?

The heat equation with a Fourier Series is typically solved using separation of variables and the method of Fourier series. This involves breaking down the problem into smaller, simpler parts and using a series of trigonometric functions (known as the Fourier series) to represent the temperature distribution along the rod.

3. What are the boundary conditions in the heat equation with a Fourier Series?

The boundary conditions in the heat equation with a Fourier Series refer to the conditions at the ends of the rod, which can be either fixed or free. A fixed boundary condition means that the temperature at the end of the rod remains constant, while a free boundary condition means that the temperature can vary at the end of the rod.

4. How does the heat equation with a Fourier Series account for changes in material properties?

The heat equation with a Fourier Series takes into account changes in material properties through the thermal conductivity coefficient, which represents the ability of a material to conduct heat. Materials with higher thermal conductivity will transfer heat more easily, leading to a faster change in temperature along the rod.

5. What are some practical applications of the heat equation with a Fourier Series?

The heat equation with a Fourier Series has many practical applications, including predicting the temperature distribution in metal rods used in manufacturing processes, analyzing the cooling of electronic devices, and determining the temperature changes in underground pipelines. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and thermodynamics to study heat transfer and thermal dynamics.