What is the Closure of a Proper Ideal in a Unital Banach Algebra?

• Thread starter Fredrik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    closure
In summary, the closure of a proper ideal in a unital Banach algebra is a proper ideal, and this can be proven by showing that it is closed under linear combinations and that if i is in the closure of I and x is in A, xi is in the closure of I. It can also be shown to be a proper ideal by proving that the invertible elements of A form an open subset of A, meaning that no sequence in I can have 1 as a limit.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove that the closure of a proper ideal in a unital Banach algebra is a proper ideal.

Homework Equations

The hint is to use the result of the previous exercise: If I is an ideal in a unital normed algebra A, and I≠{0}, we have

I=A [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] I contains 1 [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] I contains an invertible element

The Attempt at a Solution

x is in the closure of I if and only if there's a sequence (xn) in I such that xn→x.

It's easy to show that the closure of I is closed under linear combinations:

[tex]\|(ax_n+by_n)-(ax+by)\|\leq |a|\|x_n-x\|+|b|\|y_n-y\|<\varepsilon[/tex]

(I don't feel like typing every word of the argument. I'm assuming that it's obvious what I have in mind.).

It's also easy to show that if i is in the closure of I and x is in A, xi is in the closure of I:

[tex]\|xi_n-xi\|\leq \|x\|\|i_n-i\|<\varepsilon[/tex]

These results imply that the closure is an ideal. What I don't see is how to prove that it's a proper ideal, i.e. that it's neither {0} nor A. The most straightforward approach seems to try to prove that 1 can't be a member, but I don't see how to do that. I'm probably missing something really obvious as usual.

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall that the invertible elements of [tex]A[/tex] form an open subset of [tex]A[/tex].

Thank you. That was all I needed to hear. That means that there's an open ball around 1 that's a subset of Ic, and that means that no sequence in I can have 1 as a limit. So 1 can't be a member of the closure.

FAQ: What is the Closure of a Proper Ideal in a Unital Banach Algebra?

What is a proper ideal?

A proper ideal is a subset of a ring that is closed under addition and multiplication, and does not contain the identity element of the ring.

What does it mean for a proper ideal to be closed?

A proper ideal being closed means that when any two elements in the ideal are added or multiplied, the result will also be in the ideal.

Why is closure important for proper ideals?

Closure is important for proper ideals because it ensures that the operations of addition and multiplication remain within the ideal, making it a well-defined and consistent structure.

What is the significance of a proper ideal being closed under addition and multiplication?

A proper ideal being closed under addition and multiplication means that it is a subring of the original ring, and thus inherits many of the properties and characteristics of the larger ring.

How can one test for closure of a proper ideal?

To test for closure of a proper ideal, one can take any two elements in the ideal and perform the operations of addition and multiplication. If the resulting element is also in the ideal, then it is closed under those operations.