If A is a Banach algebra, then so is A/I

In summary, the problem is to prove that if a Banach algebra is a normed algebra, and a closed ideal in the Banach algebra, then the Banach algebra is a Banach algebra. The only strategy that the author came up with was to prove that a Cauchy sequence in the Banach algebra must be a Cauchy sequence. However, the series that the author used to prove this was absolutely convergent, so the Banach algebra is complete.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The problem is to prove the following:

If [itex]\mathcal A[/itex] is a Banach algebra, and [itex]\mathcal I[/itex] is a closed ideal in [itex]\mathcal A[/itex], then [itex]\mathcal A/\mathcal I[/itex] is a Banach algebra.

This is problem 3.1.3 (4)(b) in "Functional analysis: spectral theory", by V.S. Sunder. Link.

Homework Equations

A normed algebra is a vector space with a bilinear (i.e. distributive) multiplication operation, and a norm that satisfies the usual conditions on a norm and also [itex]\|xy\|\leq \|x\|\|y\|[/itex]. A Banach algebra is a normed algebra in which every Cauchy sequence is convergent.

An ideal I of a normed algebra A is a subspace (in the vector space sense) such that xi=ix is in I for all x in A and all i in I. A closed ideal is an ideal that's also a closed set. In particular, it means that if a sequence in I is convergent, its limit is in I. I'm familiar with a theorem that says that for any x in A, there's a unique i in I such that d(x,I)=d(x,i). This i is such that x-i is orthogonal to I. I suspect that maybe I should use this theorem, because it only holds when I is closed, and nothing I've come up with uses that assumption.

The members of the quotient algebra A/I are subsets of A, which we write as x+I={x+i|i is in I}. We define addition, multiplication by a scalar, multiplication, and the norm by

(x+I)+(y+I)=(x+y)+I
a(x+I)=ax+I
(x+I)(y+I)=xy+I
[itex]\|x+I\|=d(x,I)=\inf\{d(x,i)|i\in I\}[/itex]

In part (a), I proved that A/I is a normed algebra.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only strategy I've come up with is the following: Consider a Cauchy sequence [itex]x_n+I[/itex] in A/I and show that [itex]x_n[/itex] must be a Cauchy sequence too. Since A is complete, [itex]x_n\rightarrow x[/itex] for some x. The next step would be to show that [itex]x_n+\mathcal I\rightarrow x+I[/itex]

Unfortunately,

[tex]\|x_n-x_m\|=\|x_n-x_m-0\|\geq d(x_n-x_m,I)=\|(x_n-x_m)+I\|=\|(x_n+I)-(x_m+I)\|[/tex]

so I don't seem to be able to use the assumption that I can make that last thing arbitrarily small. However, if I can show that [itex]x_n\rightarrow x[/itex] for some x, I can handle the rest:

[tex]\|(x_n+I)-(x+I)\|=\|(x_n-x)+I\|=d(x_n-x,I)\leq d(x_n-x,0)=\|x_n-x\|<\varepsilon[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
First I note that you probably had to use closedness of I when you showed that that norm is really a norm on X/I.

To show that it is complete: the trick is to use series and absolute convergence (I assume that you seen that a space is Banach iff every absolute convergent series is convergent, tell me if you need a prood of this).

Take [tex]\sum{x_n+I}[/tex] absolute convergent. We will show that the series is convergent. By definition of the quotient norm, there exists a sequence [tex]z_n\in x_n+I[/tex] in X, such that

[tex] \|z_n\|\leq \|(x_n+I\|+2^{-n}[/tex]

Thus the series [tex]\sum{z_n}[/tex] converges absolutely. Since absolute convergence implies convergence IN A BANACHSPACE, this implies that there exists a z such that [tex]z=\sum{z_n}[/tex]. But now we have that

[tex] z-\sum_{k=1}^n{z_k}+I=(z+I)-\sum_{k=1}^n{x_n+I}[/tex]

Since \|z-\sum_{k=1}^n{z_k}+I\|\rightarrow 0[/tex], this implies that [tex]\sum_{x_n+I}=z+I[/tex]. Thus our series is absolutely convergent...

micromass said:
First I note that you probably had to use closedness of I when you showed that that norm is really a norm on X/I.
I actually didn't, but thanks for saying that, because while trying to explain what I did, I found that I had made a really silly mistake. I proved that [itex]\|a(x+I)\|\leq |a|\|x+I\|[/itex] instead of proving equality. I guess I got carried away by the fact that most of the things I've been proving are inequalities. I do have to use that I is closed to prove that [itex]\|a(x+I)\|\geq |a|\|x+I\|[/itex].

micromass said:
To show that it is complete: the trick is to use series and absolute convergence (I assume that you seen that a space is Banach iff every absolute convergent series is convergent, tell me if you need a prood of this).
I'm not familiar with this, but I own three relevant books, Sunder, Conway and Friedman, and one of them must have a proof of that. (I haven't looked yet).

micromass said:
Take [tex]\sum{x_n+I}[/tex] absolute convergent. We will show that the series is convergent. By definition of the quotient norm, there exists a sequence [tex]z_n\in x_n+I[/tex] in X, such that

[tex] \|z_n\|\leq \|(x_n+I\|+2^{-n}[/tex]

Thus the series [tex]\sum{z_n}[/tex] converges absolutely. Since absolute convergence implies convergence IN A BANACHSPACE, this implies that there exists a z such that [tex]z=\sum{z_n}[/tex]. But now we have that

[tex] z-\sum_{k=1}^n{z_k}+I=(z+I)-\sum_{k=1}^n{x_n+I}[/tex]

Since [tex]\|z-\sum_{k=1}^n{z_k}+I\|\rightarrow 0[/tex], this implies that [tex]\sum {x_n+I}=z+I[/tex]. Thus our series is absolutely convergent...
I have worked through the details and understand this proof now. That's very clever. It would have taken me a lot of time to think of that. So thanks again.

I'm still pretty frustrated that I couldn't make my straightforward approach work. Do you think that it can be done that way too, or is it simply not true that if xn+I is a Cauchy sequence, then xn is a Cauchy sequence? (That was the step I failed to prove).

I don't really think that is true... What I think to be true is, that if [tex]x_n+I[/tex] is Cauchy then there exists a sequence of representatives that is a Cauchy sequence. But I don't think that it is necessairy that the xn is a Cauchy sequence.

As for the proof of the thing I left out, i.e. if every absolutely convergent series is convergent, then the space is Banach. Here it is:

Take a Cauchy sequence [tex](x_n)_n[/tex] of X. We will show that this sequence has a convergent subsequence. Since the sequence is Cauchy, there exists a subsequence such that

[tex]\|x_{k_n}+x_{k_{n-1}}\|\leq 2^{-n}[/tex]

Thus the series [tex]\sum{x_{k_n}-x_{k_{n-1}}}[/tex] converges absolutely and thus (by assumption) converges. The sum is a telescopic one, thus we can easily conclude that [tex]x_{k_n}[/tex] converges. Thus our Cauchy sequence has a convergent subsequence and is thus convergent.

micromass said:
I don't really think that is true... What I think to be true is, that if [tex]x_n+I[/tex] is Cauchy then there exists a sequence of representatives that is a Cauchy sequence. But I don't think that it is necessairy that the xn is a Cauchy sequence.
Ah...that helps a lot. I was finally able to find a proof that doesn't involve series thanks to this tip.

Let xn+I be a Cauchy sequence in A/I, and choose N such that

[tex]n,m\geq N\Rightarrow \|(x_n+I)-(x_m+I)\|<\frac{\varepsilon}{2}[/tex]

If zn is in xn+I for each n, we have

[tex]\|z_n-z_m\|=\|x_n-x_m-(i_n-i_m)\|[/tex]

The ik with k≥N can be chosen so that for [itex]n,m\geq N[/itex], the above is

[tex]\leq d(x_n-x_m,I)+\frac{\varepsilon}{2}=\|(x_n-x_m)+I\|+\frac{\varepsilon}{2}<\varepsilon[/tex]

So zn is a Cauchy sequence, with a limit I'll call x. Now I can prove that [itex]x_n+I\rightarrow x+I[/itex] (which means that an arbitrary Cauchy sequence is convergent).

[tex]\|(x_n+I)-(x+I)\|=\|(x_n-x)+I\|=\|(z_n-x)+I\|\leq d(z_n-x,0)=\|z_n-x\|<\varepsilon[/tex].

micromass said:
As for the proof of the thing I left out, i.e. if every absolutely convergent series is convergent, then the space is Banach. Here it is:

Take a Cauchy sequence [tex](x_n)_n[/tex] of X. We will show that this sequence has a convergent subsequence. Since the sequence is Cauchy, there exists a subsequence such that

[tex]\|x_{k_n}+x_{k_{n-1}}\|\leq 2^{-n}[/tex]

Thus the series [tex]\sum{x_{k_n}-x_{k_{n-1}}}[/tex] converges absolutely and thus (by assumption) converges. The sum is a telescopic one, thus we can easily conclude that [tex]x_{k_n}[/tex] converges. Thus our Cauchy sequence has a convergent subsequence and is thus convergent.
This one took me some time to get, but I understand it now. Thanks again.

Fredrik said:
Ah...that helps a lot. I was finally able to find a proof that doesn't involve series thanks to this tip.

Let xn+I be a Cauchy sequence in A/I, and choose N such that

[tex]n,m\geq N\Rightarrow \|(x_n+I)-(x_m+I)\|<\frac{\varepsilon}{2}[/tex]

If zn is in xn+I for each n, we have

[tex]\|z_n-z_m\|=\|x_n-x_m-(i_n-i_m)\|[/tex]

The ik with k≥N can be chosen so that for [itex]n,m\geq N[/itex], the above is

[tex]\leq d(x_n-x_m,I)+\frac{\varepsilon}{2}=\|(x_n-x_m)+I\|+\frac{\varepsilon}{2}<\varepsilon[/tex]

So zn is a Cauchy sequence, with a limit I'll call x. Now I can prove that [itex]x_n+I\rightarrow x+I[/itex] (which means that an arbitrary Cauchy sequence is convergent).

[tex]\|(x_n+I)-(x+I)\|=\|(x_n-x)+I\|=\|(z_n-x)+I\|\leq d(z_n-x,0)=\|z_n-x\|<\varepsilon[/tex].

Hmm, this is a cool proof :cool:

I'm bumping this because I found something weird when I was reviewing the proof that A/I is a normed algebra. To prove that [itex]\|a(x+\mathcal I)\|\geq|a|\,\|x+\mathcal I\|[/itex], this is what I had to do:

Let [itex]i_0[/itex] be the unique member of [itex]\mathcal I[/itex] such that [itex]d(ax,i_0)=d(x,\mathcal I)[/itex].
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\|a(x+\mathcal I)\| &=\|ax+\mathcal I\|=d(ax,\mathcal I)=\inf\{d(ax,i)|i\in\mathcal I\}\\
&=d(ax,i_0)=\|ax-i_0\|=|a|\,\Big\|x-\frac{i_0}{a}\Big\|=|a|\,d\Big(x,\frac{i_0}{a}\Big)\\
&\geq|a|\,d(x,\mathcal I)=|a|\,\|x+\mathcal I\|
\end{align*}
[/tex]

My problem with this is that the proof of the theorem that guarantees the existence of this [itex]i_0[/itex] (theorem 2.5 in Conway) is a theorem for Hilbert spaces. It doesn't use the inner product explicitly, but it uses the parallelogram law: [itex]\|x+y\|^2+\|x-y\|^2=2\|x\|^2+2\|y\|^2[/itex]. So it doesn't appear to be valid for an arbitrary Banach algebra.

So if it's actually true that A/I is a Banach algebra whenever A is a Banach algebra and I is a closed ideal in A, then one of the following must also be true:

1. There's a way to prove the inequality above without reference to i0.
2. It's always possible to define an inner product on a Banach algebra, which turns it into a Hilbert space.
3. It's possible to prove the theorem that guarantees the existence of i0, for arbitrary Banach algebras, without using the parallelogram law.

I could use some help figuring out which one of these options is correct.

Edit: I found the answer. It's option 1. It turned out that the calculation that I thought had proved the other inequality was actually a proof of the same inequality. I must have made the calculation and then reversed the direction of the inequality when I copied the result to somewhere else. :grumpy:

This is the other calculation:

Let [itex]i\in\mathcal I[/itex] be arbitrary.
[tex]
\begin{align*}
d(ax,i)=\|ax-i\|=|a|\,\Big\|x-\frac{i}{a}\Big\|=|a|\,d\Big(x,\frac{i}{a}\Big)\geq|a|\,d(x,\mathcal I)=|a|\,\|x+\mathcal I\|
\end{align*}
[/tex]

So [itex]|a|\,\|x+\mathcal I\|[/itex] is a lower bound of [itex]\{d(ax,i)|i\in\mathcal I\}[/itex], and the greatest lower bound of this set is [itex]d(ax,\mathcal I)=\|ax+\mathcal I\|=\|a(x+\mathcal I)\|[/itex]. Hence [itex]\|a(x+\mathcal I)\|\geq |a|\,\|x+\mathcal I\|[/itex].

Last edited:
OK, now I have to bump this for another reason. I discovered that my completeness proof is nonsense, because I chose [itex]z_n[/itex] in a way that made it depend on [itex]\varepsilon[/itex]. I wasn't able to fix it, so I looked at your proof again, and now I don't understand it. Why does [itex]\|z_n\|\leq\|x_n+I\|+2^{-n}[/itex] imply that [itex]\sum_n z_n[/itex] is absolutely convergent? I know how to deal with the [itex]2^{-n}[/itex] term of course, but what about the other one?

Fredrik said:
OK, now I have to bump this for another reason. I discovered that my completeness proof is nonsense, because I chose [itex]z_n[/itex] in a way that made it depend on [itex]\varepsilon[/itex]. I wasn't able to fix it, so I looked at your proof again, and now I don't understand it. Why does [itex]\|z_n\|\leq\|x_n+I\|+2^{-n}[/itex] imply that [itex]\sum_n z_n[/itex] is absolutely convergent? I know how to deal with the [itex]2^{-n}[/itex] term of course, but what about the other one?

Because the series [tex]\sum(x_n+I)[/tex] converges absolutely. This means, of course, that [tex]\sum\|x_n+I\|[/tex] converges. Thus

[tex]\sum\|z_n\|\leq \sum\|x_n+I\|+\sum 2^{-n}[/tex]

And both series converge.

Thank you. Apparently my problem is that I can't read. I skimmed though the beginning of your proof so fast that I missed what you were actually doing. I somehow thought that the starting assumption was "[itex]x_n+I[/itex] is Cauchy", not "[itex]\sum_n (x_n+I)[/itex] is absolutely convergent".

1. What is a Banach algebra?

A Banach algebra is a mathematical structure that combines the properties of a Banach space and an algebra. It is a complete normed algebra, meaning it is a vector space with a norm and a multiplication operation that is both associative and compatible with the norm.

2. What is the significance of A/I in the statement "If A is a Banach algebra, then so is A/I"?

The notation A/I refers to the quotient space of A by the ideal I. In the context of Banach algebras, this means that we are dividing A by a closed two-sided ideal to obtain a new algebra with similar properties.

3. Can you provide an example of a Banach algebra and its quotient space?

An example of a Banach algebra is the space of continuous functions on a compact Hausdorff space, equipped with the supremum norm. Its quotient space by the ideal of functions that vanish at a particular point is the space of continuous functions on the same space, but with the point removed.

4. What is the significance of A/I being a Banach algebra?

If A is a Banach algebra and I is a closed two-sided ideal, then A/I inherits the algebraic and topological properties of A, making it a Banach algebra as well. This allows us to study the structure and properties of A by considering its quotient spaces, which may be simpler.

5. What are some applications of the statement "If A is a Banach algebra, then so is A/I"?

This statement is useful in studying Banach algebras and their properties, as well as in functional analysis and operator theory. It can also be applied in various areas of mathematics, such as harmonic analysis, representation theory, and algebraic geometry.