Proof Minkowski metric is invariant under Lorentz transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of applying Lorentz transformations to x2-c2t2 and finding a solution through rewriting c2t2 as (ct)2. The conversation also mentions a website that provides a neat way to solve the problem and the realization of a simple mistake in the calculation process.
SamRoss
Gold Member
Ok, this should be an easy one but it's driving me nuts. When we take the Lorentz transformations and apply them to x2-c2t2 we get the exact same expression in another frame. I can do this math easily by letting c=1 and have seen others do it by letting c=1 but I have never seen anyone actually do it with the c's in there. It doesn't sound like it should be that hard but I just can't get it to work. Can anyone go through it?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's always the arithmetic isn't it :wink:? Glad it worked out!

The neatest way:

x' = γ(x - vt)
t' = γ(t - vx/c2)

Take linear combinations:

(1) x' - ct' = γ(x - ct - v(t - x/c)) = γ(1 + v/c)(x - ct)
(2) x' + ct' = γ(x + ct - v(t + x/c)) = γ(1 - v/c)(x + ct)

Multiplying (1) and (2) together, all the leading factors cancel and we get

x'2 - c2t'2 = x2 - c2t2

(Note that x ± ct are the eigenvectors of the transformation. Plus the factors in front are just the Doppler shifts.)

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Wow, I just realized I had simply forgotten to distribute the c squared to everything originally. Talk about dumb!

1. What is the Minkowski metric?

The Minkowski metric, also known as the Minkowski space or spacetime, is a mathematical tool used in special relativity to describe the geometry of four-dimensional spacetime.

2. What is a Lorentz transformation?

A Lorentz transformation is a mathematical transformation that describes how coordinates and measurements in one inertial reference frame appear in another inertial reference frame, as predicted by special relativity.

3. Why is it important to show that the Minkowski metric is invariant under Lorentz transformations?

It is important to show that the Minkowski metric is invariant under Lorentz transformations because it is a fundamental property of special relativity. This invariance ensures that the laws of physics are the same for all inertial observers, regardless of their relative motion.

4. How is the invariance of the Minkowski metric under Lorentz transformations proven?

The invariance of the Minkowski metric under Lorentz transformations is proven using mathematical equations and principles of special relativity. The proof involves showing that the metric remains the same when transformed from one inertial reference frame to another.

5. What are the implications of the proof that the Minkowski metric is invariant under Lorentz transformations?

The proof of invariance has far-reaching implications in the field of physics, as it confirms the validity of special relativity and its predictions. It also allows for the development of concepts such as time dilation and length contraction, which have been experimentally verified and are essential for understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds.