Identify unkmown compound lab HELP

• Thread starter noork85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the conversation was about identifying an unknown compound in a lab, specifically Sodium carbonate. The speaker had some difficulties due to a confusing lab partner and time constraints, but asked the professor if they could repeat the experiment. The lab involved determining the reaction of the compound, such as gas production, precipitate appearance or disappearance, or color changes. The speaker also shared a link to the complete lab and an image, and mentioned seeking help on various websites for a response before the due date tomorrow.
noork85
Identify unkmown compound lab HELP!

ok so i had to identify the unknown compound, which actually for me was Sodium carbonate. i don't know if i did this correctly because there was a lot of confusion with my lab partner (screwed me big time, couldn't even count drops; i will be getting a new lab partner next week!) and time constraints i wasnt able to finish it up. I asked the prof if i could repeat it and ofcourse, she said no. just ignore the unknown compound section, but is the rest of it correct?

i was supposed to find out whether the reaction is a gas, precipitate appears or disappears, or if the color changes.

and this is the complete lab
http://survival-training.survival-training.net/Library/Chemistry/Chemistry%20-%20Identification%20of%20unknown%20compound%20-%20Unknown.pdf

heres the image
XjfMl.jpg

is this correct?

Attachments

• XjfMl.jpg
    XjfMl.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 471
Chemistry news on Phys.org

not similar, it is. its mine, i posted on various sites so i can actually get an answer because no seems to be responding anywhere.

please!help! its due tomorrow!

1. What is the purpose of the "Identify unknown compound" lab?

The purpose of this lab is to use various techniques and tests to determine the identity of an unknown compound. This involves comparing the physical and chemical properties of the unknown compound to known compounds in order to make a confident identification.

2. What are the common techniques used to identify an unknown compound?

Some common techniques used in this lab include melting point determination, solubility tests, thin-layer chromatography, and spectroscopy (such as infrared or nuclear magnetic resonance).

3. Can the unknown compound be identified with 100% certainty?

No, it is not possible to identify the unknown compound with 100% certainty. There is always a margin of error and limitations to the techniques used, and the results may also be affected by impurities or experimental error.

4. What are some challenges that may arise during the identification process?

Some challenges that may arise include obtaining a pure sample of the unknown compound, difficulty in interpreting results, and limitations of the available equipment and techniques.

5. What should be done if the results from different tests conflict with each other?

If the results from different tests conflict with each other, further tests and analyses may need to be performed to gather more information and make a more accurate identification. It is also important to carefully analyze and consider the potential sources of error and limitations of each test.