Electron travelling in Magnetic and Electric Field.

In summary, an electron with a velocity of 2.0 x 10^6 i m/s enters a region with an electric field of 200 j V/m. Due to the presence of a magnetic field, the electron will follow a straight line path at a constant velocity. The possible options for the magnetic field are B = (-1 x 10^4 k) T, B = (4 x 10^8 k) T, B = (1 x 10^-4 j) T, and B = (1 x 10^4 k) T. The force from the magnetic field is perpendicular to the velocity and can counteract the force of the electric field.
vg19
I am having trouble figuring out the answer to one MCQ question.

An electron with velocity = 2.0 x 10^6 i m/s enters a region with electric field E = 200 j V/m. Because there is also a magnetic field present, the electron follows a straight line path at a constant velocty. The magnetic field could be:

a) B = (-1 x 10^4 k) T
b) B = (4 x 10^8 k) T
c) B = (1 x 10^-4 j) T
d) B = (1 x 10^4 k) T

I am really really confused with this question. Wont the electric field cause the electron to change speeds and direction? Also, the magnetic field can only alter the direction of the electron correct? So, how can the electron follow a straight line path at all?? AHHH I think something is horribly wrong with my logic and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What if the magnetic field was set up so that the force felt due to the magnetic field counteracts the force of the electric field?

Would the magnetic field not have to be in the -j direction then?

vg19 said:
Would the magnetic field not have to be in the -j direction then?

The force from the magnetic field is at right angles to the velocity of the electron:
[tex]F=qv\, x\, B[/tex]

-Dan

Related to Electron travelling in Magnetic and Electric Field.

1. How does a magnetic field affect the movement of electrons?

When an electron travels through a magnetic field, it experiences a force called the Lorentz force. This force acts perpendicular to both the direction of the electron's motion and the direction of the magnetic field. As a result, the electron's path is curved, causing it to move in a circular or helical motion. The strength of the force depends on the velocity of the electron and the strength of the magnetic field.

2. What is the difference between a magnetic field and an electric field?

A magnetic field is a region of space where magnetic forces act on a moving charge, such as an electron. It is created by moving electric charges or by changing electric fields. An electric field, on the other hand, is a region of space where electric forces act on a stationary charge. It is created by stationary electric charges or by changing magnetic fields.

3. How do magnetic and electric fields interact with each other?

When an electron travels through both a magnetic and electric field, it will experience a combined force called the Lorentz force. This force is the vector sum of the magnetic and electric forces acting on the electron. Depending on the direction and strength of the two fields, the electron's path may be deflected in different ways.

4. What is the role of an electron's charge in magnetic and electric fields?

The charge of an electron determines the strength of the force it experiences in both magnetic and electric fields. The stronger the charge, the greater the force. In addition, the direction of the force depends on the sign of the charge. A positive charge will experience a force in the opposite direction of a negative charge in the same field.

5. How do magnetic and electric fields affect the speed of an electron?

Magnetic and electric fields do not directly affect the speed of an electron. However, they can change the direction of the electron's motion, which can indirectly affect its speed. The strength and direction of the fields will determine how much the electron's path is curved, which can impact its speed. In addition, the speed of an electron can also affect the strength of the force it experiences in these fields.