Exploring Momentum Transfer: F(q)^2 Factor & Spherical Symmetry

In summary, the conversation discusses the form factor F(B]q[/B]^2), which depends on the momentum transfer q. It is symbolized by an exponential function. When integrating over all solid angles, a r^2 term is included. The conversation also mentions that f(x) is independent of polar angles, allowing for rotation of the coordinate system. This results in the exponential function becoming exp(i*|q|*r*cos(theta)), which, when integrated, yields a "sinus thing." The speaker expresses gratitude for the explanation and mentions that it was easy to understand.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have a form factor that only depends on the momentum transfer q, this is symbolised by writing the form factor as F(B]q[/B]^2).

attachment.php?attachmentid=9529&stc=1&d=1174375818.jpg

if i have a spherical symmetric distribution of charge, f only depends on the radius; r = | q|

Then integration over all solid angels yields:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9530&stc=1&d=1174376003

(there should be a r^2 inside the integral ;))

I do not understand how this Sinus - thing plops up.. all i know is this:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9531&stc=1&d=1174376117

I really need a hint how to go from the exponential function to this sinus thing. =/

Attachments

• form1.JPG
    form1.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 511
  • form2.JPG
    form2.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 691
  • komplex.JPG
    komplex.JPG
    3 KB · Views: 657
Physics news on Phys.org
Since f(x) is independent of the polar angles you can rotate the x coordinate system so that the q vector points along, say, the positive z-axis. So the exponential becomes exp(i*|q|*r*cos(theta)). Doing the theta integration gives you the 'sinus thing'.

thanx alot, i will try tonight:)

it was a piece of cake now, thanks again!

Could you explain more about it?

1. What is momentum transfer in physics?

Momentum transfer in physics refers to the exchange of momentum between two or more objects due to a force acting on them. It is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics and plays a crucial role in understanding the motion of objects.

2. What is the F(q)^2 factor in momentum transfer?

The F(q)^2 factor, also known as the form factor, is a mathematical term that describes the shape and internal structure of an object. In the context of momentum transfer, it is used to calculate the scattering cross-section of a particle, which is a measure of how likely it is to interact with other particles.

3. How does spherical symmetry affect momentum transfer?

Spherical symmetry, also known as rotational symmetry, is a property of an object where it looks the same from any angle of rotation. In the context of momentum transfer, spherical symmetry simplifies the calculation of the F(q)^2 factor, making it easier to analyze and model the interaction between particles.

4. How is momentum transfer measured in experiments?

Momentum transfer can be measured in experiments using techniques such as scattering experiments, where a beam of particles is directed at a target and the resulting momentum transfer is measured. Other methods include particle accelerators and collision experiments.

5. What are some real-world applications of momentum transfer?

Momentum transfer has numerous applications in various fields, including astrophysics, nuclear physics, and material science. It is used to understand the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions, the structure of atomic nuclei, and the properties of materials under stress or impact.