Resistivity and Temperature

In summary, the equation p=p0[1+alpha(T-T0)] can be used to estimate the temperature at which copper will have the same resistivity as tungsten at 20 degrees C. The value for T0 will be 20 degrees C, since this is the reference temperature given. The challenge is determining the value for alpha, the coefficient for the rate of change in resistivity with temperature. This information may be found in a text or table of values.
langenase

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to estimate at what temp. copper will have the same resistivity as tungsten at 20 deg. C.

Homework Equations

The only equation I think is relevant is
p=p0[1+alpha(T-T0)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the resistivity of both copper and tungsten at 20 degrees C. I just don't know what I should do about the resistivity, p0, at temperature, T0 since I don't know either of those quantities.
I can't cancel those variables out when I set p(tungsten)=p(copper) so I'm not sure what to do.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
langenase said:

Homework Equations

The only equation I think is relevant is
p=p0[1+alpha(T-T0)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the resistivity of both copper and tungsten at 20 degrees C. I just don't know what I should do about the resistivity, p0, at temperature, T0 since I don't know either of those quantities.
I can't cancel those variables out when I set p(tungsten)=p(copper) so I'm not sure what to do.

T0 is whatever temperature you want to use as a reference. Since you have resistivities for these metals at 20º C., that will be your T0. You want to find the temperature at which copper has the same resistivity as tungsten at 20ºC., so which resistivity goes where in the equation you gave?

The only real issue now is: what value are you supposed to use for alpha, which is the coefficient for the rate at which resistivity changes with temperature (it would have units of ohm-m/C (or K)? Are you working from tables in a text?

As a scientist, the first step in solving this problem would be to gather more information. The equation provided, p=p0[1+alpha(T-T0)], is known as the temperature coefficient of resistivity and can be used to calculate the change in resistivity with temperature. In this equation, p0 is the resistivity at a reference temperature, T0, and alpha is the temperature coefficient of resistivity. Without knowing the values for p0 and T0 for both copper and tungsten, it is impossible to solve for the temperature at which they will have the same resistivity.

To solve this problem, you will need to find the resistivity values for both copper and tungsten at a different temperature, preferably one that is close to the reference temperature T0. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the equation and solve for T, the temperature at which they will have the same resistivity.

Additionally, it is important to note that the temperature coefficient of resistivity, alpha, is not constant and can vary for different materials. Therefore, it is important to use accurate and up-to-date values for alpha when solving this problem.

In summary, to estimate at what temperature copper will have the same resistivity as tungsten at 20 degrees C, you will need to gather more information, specifically the resistivity values for both materials at a different temperature, and use the temperature coefficient of resistivity equation to solve for the temperature at which they will have the same resistivity.

1. What is resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is measured in ohm-meters (Ωm).

2. How does temperature affect resistivity?

Temperature has a direct effect on resistivity. As temperature increases, the resistivity of most materials also increases. This is because higher temperatures cause atoms and molecules to vibrate more, which disrupts the flow of electrons and increases resistance to the flow of electric current.

3. What is the relationship between resistivity and temperature?

The relationship between resistivity and temperature is typically linear for most materials. This means that as temperature increases, the resistivity also increases at a constant rate. However, some materials may have a non-linear relationship, where the resistivity increases at a non-constant rate as temperature changes.

4. How do we measure resistivity and temperature?

Resistivity can be measured using an ohmmeter or multimeter, which measures the resistance of a material. Temperature can be measured using a thermometer or thermocouple. Both measurements are necessary in order to determine the relationship between resistivity and temperature for a specific material.

5. How is the resistivity-temperature relationship used in practical applications?

The knowledge of how resistivity changes with temperature is important in many practical applications, such as designing electrical circuits, choosing materials for specific uses, and understanding the behavior of electronic devices. It is also used in industries like semiconductor manufacturing to control the resistivity of materials used in electronic components.