Understanding Dihydrogen Spin Isomers: An Overview and Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the coupling between ortho and para hydrogen forms. The speaker is having difficulty understanding the notation and superficial treatment of the topic on websites and in their quantum book. The website in question explains the difference between ortho and para as triplet and singlet states, respectively, with alpha and beta spins representing up and down spins. The speaker also questions the use of the term "spin isomer" and discusses the energy levels of triplet and singlet states.
splitringtail
I am kinda rusty at my quantum, but I cannot figure out the coupling b/t ortho and para hydrogen forms. My quantum book doesn't discuss it and I really confused with the notation and superficial treatment I see on Wikipedia and other sites.

http://www.york.ac.uk/res/sbd/parahydrogen/outline.html

I understand why ortho is a triplet state b/c they are three orientations of the total spin [tex]m_{I}={1,0,-1}.[/tex] Yet, what are these alpha's and beta's on the site? Is the wave functions... both spin up, both spin down, and a linear combination of the two?. Then, for the para form, there's no difference if it is spin up down or down up, so they just take a linear combination and it's a singlet state?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Ortho" and "Para" are just archaic terms for "triplet" and "singlet" electronic states, respectively. I wouldn't use the term 'isomers'. In fact I don't think I've ever seen the term 'spin isomer' before this. It's an excited electronic state of the same molecule. (I explain https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2120686&postcount=2" why triplet/ortho hydrogen is higher in energy, which usually extends to triplet states in general) Alpha and beta spins is just another way of saying 'up' and 'down' spins, or +1/2 and -1/2.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can understand your confusion with the notation and treatment of dihydrogen spin isomers. First, let's clarify what we mean by spin isomers. Spin isomers refer to the different energy levels that are possible for a molecule due to the spin of its constituent particles. In the case of dihydrogen, the two hydrogen atoms can have either parallel or antiparallel spins, resulting in two possible spin isomers: ortho and para.

Now, in terms of the notation used on the website you provided, the alpha and beta refer to the two possible spin states of a single hydrogen atom. Alpha represents a spin up state, while beta represents a spin down state. In the case of ortho hydrogen, the two hydrogen atoms are in a triplet state, meaning they have three possible orientations of the total spin (m_{I}={1,0,-1}). This is because the two individual spins can be either both up, both down, or a linear combination of the two. The website is simply representing this using the alpha and beta notation.

For para hydrogen, the two hydrogen atoms are in a singlet state, meaning they have only one possible orientation of the total spin (m_{I}=0). This is because, as you correctly pointed out, there is no difference between having both spins up or both spins down. Therefore, a linear combination of the two is sufficient to represent the spin state of para hydrogen.

I understand that this may still be a bit confusing, but it is important to note that this is a simplified explanation and there is much more complexity to the quantum mechanics behind dihydrogen spin isomers. I would recommend consulting with a quantum physicist or delving into more advanced texts for a more thorough understanding. I hope this helps clarify some of your confusion.

1. What are dihydrogen spin isomers?

Dihydrogen spin isomers are different forms of the dihydrogen molecule, also known as H2, that have different orientations of their nuclear spins. This means that the two hydrogen atoms in the molecule have either parallel or anti-parallel spins, resulting in two possible configurations: ortho- and para- H2.

2. What is the significance of dihydrogen spin isomers?

The different spin isomers of dihydrogen have slightly different energy levels, which can affect the reactivity and properties of the molecule. This is especially important in fields such as astrophysics and quantum chemistry, where accurate understanding of molecular structures is crucial.

3. How are dihydrogen spin isomers distinguished?

Dihydrogen spin isomers can be distinguished through various methods, such as spectroscopy, which measures the energy of the molecule's rotational and vibrational transitions. Additionally, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy can be used to differentiate between the two spin isomers.

4. How do dihydrogen spin isomers affect chemical reactions?

The different energy levels of the ortho- and para- H2 molecules can affect the rate and outcome of chemical reactions involving dihydrogen. For example, para-H2 is more stable and less reactive than ortho-H2, which can have implications for industrial processes and catalysis.

5. What are the potential applications of understanding dihydrogen spin isomers?

Understanding dihydrogen spin isomers can have implications in various fields, including astrophysics, quantum chemistry, and industrial processes. It can also aid in the development of new materials and technologies, such as efficient hydrogen storage methods and improved catalytic reactions.