Exchange interaction in solid state physics

In summary, the two relations are equivalent and it does not matter which one is used as long as the appropriate inverse transformation is applied. Additionally, the symbol I represents exchange interaction and can sometimes depend on the absolute value of the argument or be represented as a tensor I^{\beta}_{\alpha}. The choice of which relation to use depends on the specific problem and its physical reasons, and it is best to consult a textbook for a more detailed explanation.
Petar Mali
[tex]I(\vec{n}-\vec{m})=\frac{1}{N}\sum_{\vec{k}}I(\vec{k})e^{i\vec{k}(\vec{n}-\vec{m})}[/tex]

[tex]I(\vec{n}-\vec{m})=\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}\sum_{\vec{k}}I(\vec{k})e^{i\vec{k}(\vec{n}-\vec{m})}[/tex]

In which cases is better to use first and in which second relation? [tex]N[/tex] is number of knottes of lattice.

And when I can say [tex]I(\vec{n}-\vec{m})=I(|\vec{n}-\vec{m}|)[/tex]?

And is it a way to show

[tex]\sum_{\vec{k}}I(\vec{k})=\sum_{-\vec{k}}I(\vec{k})[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
please i am anew member can you explain the meanings of the symbols

This has nothing to do with exchange interactions, and is a problem of Fourier transforms. These are elementary questions, so I suggest a textbook, which will explain far better and in greater detail than anyone here can.

genneth said:
This has nothing to do with exchange interactions, and is a problem of Fourier transforms. These are elementary questions, so I suggest a textbook, which will explain far better and in greater detail than anyone here can.

[tex]I[/tex] is exchange interaction.

[tex]
I(\vec{n}-\vec{m})=I(|\vec{n}-\vec{m}|)
[/tex]

Sometimes [tex]I[/tex] depends only of absolyte value of argument. This is physical reasons and do not have any relationship with Fourier transform in general. [tex]I[/tex] is sometimes tensor [tex]I^{\beta}_{\alpha}[/tex].

In physics is not always the same think to work with

[tex]
I(\vec{n}-\vec{m})=\frac{1}{N}\sum_{\vec{k}}I(\vec{k})e^{i\v ec{k}(\vec{n}-\vec{m})}
[/tex]

or with

[tex]
I(\vec{n}-\vec{m})=\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}\sum_{\vec{k}}I(\vec{k} )e^{i\vec{k}(\vec{n}-\vec{m})}
[/tex]

I just whant to know when is better to do with first or with second relation?

Thanks

It does not matter which convention you use, as long as you use the appropriate inverse transformation. If you include the square root, you should also include it in the inverse transformation.

Related to Exchange interaction in solid state physics

1. What is exchange interaction in solid state physics?

The exchange interaction is a quantum mechanical phenomenon that describes the interaction between the spin of electrons in a material. It is one of the fundamental interactions in solid state physics and plays an important role in various electronic, magnetic, and optical properties of materials.

2. How does exchange interaction affect the magnetic properties of materials?

The exchange interaction is responsible for the alignment of the electron spins in a material, which leads to the formation of a magnetic moment. This interaction can either strengthen or weaken the magnetic ordering, depending on the strength and nature of the exchange interaction in the material.

3. What factors influence the strength of exchange interaction in a material?

The strength of exchange interaction depends on various factors, including the type of material, the arrangement of atoms and their electronic structure, and the distance between the interacting electrons. It is also affected by external factors such as temperature and applied magnetic fields.

4. Can exchange interaction be manipulated in materials?

Yes, exchange interaction can be manipulated by changing the composition, structure, and properties of a material. This can be achieved through techniques like doping, strain engineering, and applying external fields. Such manipulations can lead to the control of magnetic and electronic properties of materials, making them useful for various applications.

5. What are some applications of exchange interaction in solid state physics?

Exchange interaction plays a crucial role in many technological applications, including magnetic data storage, spintronics, and quantum computing. It also contributes to the understanding of various physical phenomena, such as magnetism, superconductivity, and optical properties of materials.